Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I was thinking about Avatar earlier today, and the fact that it's the biggest domestic and worldwide box office of all time kind of depresses me.I saw the movie once and never had a desire to see it again. I don't know anyone in person that raves about it or thinks it's the greatest thing, and really in the grand scheme of things I don't think the movie was very memorable to all people. I think it just kept going from the hype of the effects, the 3D, and the box office, it became something of its own phenomenon. People went to see it basically because they had to experience it.But the film itself, the world, the story... IMO, it's mediocre. It's not on the same level of Titanic or TDK where it leaves a lasting impression and becomes iconic. I think about it now and I'm totally flabbergasted how it became the biggest movie of all time.Just my 2 cents. :)

• Like 1

I was thinking about Avatar earlier today, and the fact that it's the biggest domestic and worldwide box office of all time kind of depresses me.I saw the movie once and never had a desire to see it again. I don't know anyone in person that raves about it or thinks it's the greatest thing, and really in the grand scheme of things I don't think the movie was very memorable to all people. I think it just kept going from the hype of the effects, the 3D, and the box office, it became something of its own phenomenon. People went to see it basically because they had to experience it.But the film itself, the world, the story... IMO, it's mediocre. It's not on the same level of Titanic or TDK where it leaves a lasting impression and becomes iconic. I think about it now and I'm totally flabbergasted how it became the biggest movie of all time.Just my 2 cents. :)

You only say that now because both those movies are back in the headlines (Titanic because of its rerelease and Dark Knight because of its sequel). I guarantee you the hype train for Avatar 2 will be through the roof once its release comes around. As someone who saw it four times in theaters, it's very easy for me to see how it became the biggest movie of all time (even moreso when comparing it to John Carter). Edited by tribefan695

Obviously my statement is completely anecdotal.But I don't feel that way about Titanic/TDK because they have sequels/re-releases this year. I've re-watched both those movies several times over, a dozen times each probably, and these movies are getting brought up in conversation constantly. I can't say the same for Avatar. When I ask people if they saw it, they say "Yeah", but nothing else really. It doesn't seem to invoke the same passion as the other films, in my observations.And trust, I don't doubt Avatar 2 will be a total juggernaut. It's clearly got its fans. Maybe they're not overly vocal about it. I remember in my screening for the film, I was shocked to see elderly people with 3D glasses on.

As usual, people like to use personal anecdotes to extrapolate predictions, but it's such a small sample size, it's almost meaningless.I don't think AVATAR has the lasting clout of TITANIC; if nothing else, ticket sales and legs prove that. But it doesn't really need to in order for the sequels to be massively, massively successful. Let's make a few assumptions, all of which are pretty reasonable or have already happened, IMO:- that A2 acts like a traditional sequel from a stand-alone movie, and drops a modest amount.- that ticket prices continue to rise.- that Cameron once again pulls out all the stops and delivers a sequel that's visually stunning with lots of cool environments and action, with a story that's serviceable at the very least- that Cameron utilizes new technology to make the theatrical presentation something special- that large-format theaters continue to grow (more LieMax expansion with traditional IMAXes spending more time than ever playing Hollywood features)Taking these into account, AVATAR 2 should comfortably gross in the mid $400s to low $500s domestically. And there's always the chance that Cameron delivers a sequel that expands and improves significantly on its predecessor.

Yeah, I wasn't making any kind of box office prediction, at all. Like I said, I have no doubts that Avatar 2 will be massive.I was just questioning what its overall perception will be in film history. Other than of course a record breaking box office blockbuster.

Its perception will be largely financial and technical. I'm a fairly big fan of it overall, but it's neither the best nor worst of Cameron's career, and I think it'll be (rightfully) seen as a huge international juggernaut that set the table for modern 3D movies (for better or worse). And, oddly enough, for bringing some relatively minor and unknown environmental issues into the news, no matter how briefly. (How many people knew about the struggles of that Amazon tribe before Cameron went down there and promoted their cause?)As a science-fiction film, it's also noteworthy for its reasonably-accurate science: the technology in the film is based off current science and engineering designs: the interstellar ship, for example, is designed "accurately", how humans react and deal with Pandora's lack of breathable atmosphere is accurate, the botany and animal kingdom on Pandora was developed a lot more precisely with the lot of various scientists and researchers, etc. Obviously Cameron's first goal is to tell a cool story, but he ret-conned the technology and scientific aspects of his story a lot better than practically anyone on film (with Kubrick's 2001, obviously; Duncan Jones' MOON, one or two others that slip my mind right now).

Oscar-winning producer Jon Landau has rejected rumours about delay of 'Avatar 2', saying there is no question of delay as a date for its release was never set.In India to oversee the 3D release of 'Titanic', Jon told IANS, " 'Avatar 2' has not been delayed. We never set a date for it to delay it. We are in very early stages of pre-production and we want to put all the pieces together before we formally announce a date."http://ibnlive.in.com/news/avatar-2--release-date-not-fixed-jon-landau/242834-8-67.html

Edited by Magic