Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

DING DING keyword used.

Congratulations you've confirmed you know nothing about Jim in just 10 characters.

Yeah, the studio took it away from him, but that's his problem, not mine. It was a James Cameron film and it sucked. You lose.

The reason I'm glad this has 5 movies planned is because the world of avatar has so much potential, but while the first movie was good (7.5/10 maybe an 8) the issue I had with it was it cared more about its gimmick (3D and effects) rather than its characters. That's the difference between say it and Titanic; titanic had the effects, but it also had the heart, and I thought avatar was lacking there. But with 5 movies, Cameron's got the chance to really expand his world.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

Yeah, the studio took it away from him, but that's his problem, not mine. It was a James Cameron film and it sucked. You lose.

How can you fail to deliever something you had no part in the delievery of? This ain't no word game thread JohnBoy, this is an Avatar thread.

Edited by IronJimbo

7 hours ago, johnboy3434 said:

Actually, it's more of a "Poke fun at IronJimbo's delusions" thread. Everyone here has reasonable expectation except you and Kal, and it's kind of embarrassing to watch.

Doubt Jim once shame on you,
Doubt Jim twice, you're deluded.
DOUBT JIM THRICE, what are you even doing here?

Jim will break records as usual, Avatar 2 will be the highest grossing film of all time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GiantCALBears said:

Its more of a consensus actually, not to mention JC has never been known for his strong characters or dialogue.

”Consensus” and ”opinion” are not mutually exclusive concepts. You know that, right?

I was enraptured by the characters’ journey and the love story between Jake and Neytiri, two characters that you keep claiming had no substance,  and the 3D had nothing to do with my love for this univse.  Does that mean that I am lying in order to prove some point? You keep parroting the narrative that Cameron detractors came up with (cardboard characters! 3D gimmick! nO substance!), but there is no way that any film gets the extraordinary word of mouth and repeat business that this got  just because people want to see shiny colors. In fact, no billion dollar film full of explosions and action gets to do a billion dollars if audiences don’t connect with the characters. Whether it’s Transformers, Twilight, or Avatar, audiences need to connect with characters first before they can care about what happens to them. You may think that Bella and Jake were crappy characters, but they were substantial enough for millions of people to feel invested in their fate.

But go ahead and keep thinking that we are just deluded. I am sure that you know better than I do about MY reasons to watch a film.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Ti

REM you were one of the fools saying avatar would flop on mojo. Baumer stated it will be looking lucky to make 600 m ww. Anything you two state with all the missed calls, should be taken as seriously as Ronald McDonald. Lol

LOOOOL. How in the world do you expect 600m to happen in a country where only a few movies have EVER grossed over 200m? Do you just pop numbers out of your completely deluded mind? What an idiotic prediction. But I guess everyone already knows this about you. Laughable. 

12 hours ago, GiantCALBears said:

I love how arrogant JC is to think the public wants four sequels, he's due for some big budget floppage IMO.

Oh, now I get your opinion on JC films.. You have no proof of that, yet you think that he is arrogant. It couldn’t possibly be that it is the story that he feels compelled to tell. No, sir, it must be the arrogance and delusion of thinking that the public wants four sequels. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Ti

REM you were one of the fools saying avatar would flop on mojo. Baumer stated it will be looking lucky to make 600 m ww. Anything you two state with all the missed calls, should be taken as seriously as Ronald McDonald. Lol

Holy cow!

Yes, in 2009, before the hype and my understanding of how amazing the film would be, my prediction for Avatar was 600 mill WW.  Back then billion dollar movies were not common.  The difference between me and Kal is that I have no problem admitting my bad box office failure where as kal never owns up to his....EVER.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Yes, in 2009, before the hype and my understanding of how amazing the film would be, my prediction for Avatar was 600 mill WW.  Back then billion dollar movies were not common.  The difference between me and Kal is that I have no problem admitting my bad box office failure where as kal never owns up to his....EVER.

While no one expected $2.78 billion, Armegeddon had made close to 600m world wide 10 years prior. Independance day made 800m WW.

I understand it though, I had it at 1.5b which is still not even anywhere close, I didn't think it could beat Titanic even with inflation. However I never doubted that it would do well.

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Nobody did. Well, Kal did...but wasn't he like the only one who saw it coming?

Probably.  I'm not even sure how much on the low end i was. Obviously it ended up being a pretty horrible prediction.