Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

It's valid for him, that's all that matters. If he chooses to rewatch it later in life, maybe he'll have a different opinion. Or maybe not. 

I'm just letting him know he may have missed out on the magic. What he decides to do is up to him!

1 minute ago, 75live said:

but I know I won't see it in 3d...

Same here, i haven't watched a movie in 3D for a number of years, and I wont watch it with any other gimmick attached to it either if I can avoid it (such as 48/60fps). Both seem completely pointless and just get in the way. They are dead ideas, good old 2D, 24Hz is all we need.

• Like 1

Just now, GirafficPark said:

Same here, i haven't watched a movie in 3D for a number of years, and I wont watch it with any other gimmick attached to it either if I can avoid it (such as 48/60fps). Both seem completely pointless and just get in the way. They are dead ideas, good old 2D, 24Hz is all we need.

thats what they said about colour

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

thats what they said about colour

Colour is what we see naturally. We dont actually see in 3D the way 3D movies are presented at the moment, and HFR movies look unnatural. Both technologies, as they stand make the image worse, not better, especially when so many 3D movies do it so badly, and pointlessly.

In fairness Avatar is a it of an exception to the 3D because it was done so well and made a specific point of it, but I still have no desire to see it that way again.

Edited by GirafficPark

1 minute ago, GirafficPark said:

Colour is what we see naturally. We dont actually see in 3D the way 3D movies are presented at the moment, and HFR movies look unnatural. Both technologies, as they stand make the image worse, not better, especially when so many 3D movies do it so badly, and pointlessly.

In fairness Avatar is a it of an exception to the 3D because it was done so well and made a specific point of it, but I still have no desire to see it that way again.

It will be the best 3D in cinema to date though, not even curious?

17 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

HFR movies look unnatural.

HFR is what we see naturally. It is the 100 years of training/exposure that tells you 24fps is okay, everything else is not. And the only difference really when it comes to movie 3D compared to real 3D is that you can't decide for yourself where to focus on.

Edited by Elessar

3 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

I feel like people are being fooled into thinking its a bad thing to have 2D/24Hz

24fps has horrible judder/strobing, especially in panning. I mean, i tollerate it in 2D and i have to tollerate it in 3D most of the times but 48/60 is so much kinder to your eyes in 3D.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

hmm but TFA was lacked visual creativity, confirmed by Jim himself.

Eye of the beholder, surely.  And even so, there's still R1.

But not the Franchise thread, so I'll let it lie for now. :)  Just thought it was odd that you of all people would pull the "who cares about the story" card. :P

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Eye of the beholder, surely.  And even so, there's still R1.

But not the Franchise thread, so I'll let it lie for now. :)  Just thought it was odd that you of all people would pull the "who cares about the story" card. :P

I very much enjoyed episode 1-6 though, I just feel like this new era is a disappointing money grab. I don't think I have shit on sws's story...

AMC Teaming With James Cameron On Docu-Series About The History Of Sci-Fi — TCA

http://deadline.com/2017/01/amc-james-camerons-story-of-science-fiction-documentary-series-1201887205/

During the network’s TCA presentation, AMC announced today the greenlighting of a documentary series-look into the history of science fiction, from one of the most influential figures of the genre. James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction sees the legendary filmmaker behind The Terminator, Aliens, and Avatar exploring the evolution of science fiction from its cult beginnings in pulp to the engine for blockbuster film and television success it is today.

Comprised of six one-hour episodes, James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction will debut on AMC in 2018. Each episode will see Cameron introducing one of the “Big Questions” humanity has grappled with through history, delving into Science Fiction’s past to look at how the genre’s films, TV shows, books, and video games were born, and where the genre, and humanity, might be headed. Throughout, Cameron and his contemporaries debate the merits, meanings, and impacts of the films and novels that influenced them.

“When I was a kid, I basically read any book with a spaceship on the cover and I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey many, many times,” said Cameron in announcing the series. “The movie inspired me to become a filmmaker. I liked the special effects, but I really loved the ideas and the questions behind them: How will the world end? Will technology destroy us? What does it mean to be human? These are subjects sci-fi has never been afraid to tackle.”

“With this series, we are going back to the origins of sci-fi, following the DNA of these ideas back to the source. Without Jules Verne and H.G. Wells there wouldn’t have been Ray Bradbury or Robert A. Heinlein, and without them, there wouldn’t be Lucas, Spielberg, Ridley Scott or me. As a filmmaker who specializes in science fiction, I’m interested in exploring the struggles and the triumphs that brought these incredible stories to life and seeing how art imitates life, as well as how science fiction imitates and sometimes informs science.”

Produced by Left/Right, James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction is executive produced by Cameron, Maria Wilhelm, Ken Druckerman and Banks Tarver. Seattle’s Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP), which houses the Science Fiction and Fantasy Hall of Fame, is consulting on the series.

• Like 7

HFR is not what we see naturally, the eyes and brain dont work like a TV or a digital projector. They dont take snapshots and process them frame by frame. Thats why HFR looks so weird and unnatural and it certainly isnt kinder on the eyes, it can physically hurt. People are used to high frame rate, TV is 50 in most places, the problem is that 3D makes such a mess of the image in terms of both clarity and colour balance/contrast that some people just cant handle it when HFR is added to the mix. Display technology helps 24Hz a lot, LCDs are generally bad (in every way), Plasma is much kinder.

The thing is your eyes see motion blur naturally when you move your head, seeing a static image with no blur is just wrong.

Im sure Jim will bring something new to the table with A2, but unless its tinted glasses free 3D then im not interested, because im not interested in seeing an image with messed up colour and contrast. The unnatural looking 3D effect isnt appealing enough to compensate.

3D is over, TV manufacturers are starting to drop it now (no 3D OLEDs for 2017), cable providers are dropping the 3D channels, 3D BR sales are low and even cinemas are moving the 3D shows to the smaller screen when they are showing 2D and 3D together.

Edited by GirafficPark

9 hours ago, vc2002 said:

AMC Teaming With James Cameron On Docu-Series About The History Of Sci-Fi — TCA

http://deadline.com/2017/01/amc-james-camerons-story-of-science-fiction-documentary-series-1201887205/

During the network’s TCA presentation, AMC announced today the greenlighting of a documentary series-look into the history of science fiction, from one of the most influential figures of the genre. James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction sees the legendary filmmaker behind The Terminator, Aliens, and Avatar exploring the evolution of science fiction from its cult beginnings in pulp to the engine for blockbuster film and television success it is today.

Comprised of six one-hour episodes, James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction will debut on AMC in 2018. Each episode will see Cameron introducing one of the “Big Questions” humanity has grappled with through history, delving into Science Fiction’s past to look at how the genre’s films, TV shows, books, and video games were born, and where the genre, and humanity, might be headed. Throughout, Cameron and his contemporaries debate the merits, meanings, and impacts of the films and novels that influenced them.

“When I was a kid, I basically read any book with a spaceship on the cover and I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey many, many times,” said Cameron in announcing the series. “The movie inspired me to become a filmmaker. I liked the special effects, but I really loved the ideas and the questions behind them: How will the world end? Will technology destroy us? What does it mean to be human? These are subjects sci-fi has never been afraid to tackle.”

“With this series, we are going back to the origins of sci-fi, following the DNA of these ideas back to the source. Without Jules Verne and H.G. Wells there wouldn’t have been Ray Bradbury or Robert A. Heinlein, and without them, there wouldn’t be Lucas, Spielberg, Ridley Scott or me. As a filmmaker who specializes in science fiction, I’m interested in exploring the struggles and the triumphs that brought these incredible stories to life and seeing how art imitates life, as well as how science fiction imitates and sometimes informs science.”

Produced by Left/Right, James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction is executive produced by Cameron, Maria Wilhelm, Ken Druckerman and Banks Tarver. Seattle’s Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP), which houses the Science Fiction and Fantasy Hall of Fame, is consulting on the series.

2018 shaping up to be the year of Jim, we will get this documentary, T2 3D, Avatar 2 and Battle Angel Alita almost within a 12 month time frame.

I was thinking about the sequels last night - I think we're going to really see some interesting stories from the world of Pandora. It's a world with limitless possibility and I think of all people Jim will want to maximize that potential.

I may be going big on this claim, but I am almost certain that we'll see massively different areas of both time and space in an almost 'VR' like experience of the various characters visiting other times and places through the Tree of Souls. Think about it, we could see Jake viewing CQ's first trip to Pandora, or even see the history of the Na'vi, how they came to be, and how Eywa formed (I'm going to guess that it won't be any religious shit, Jim is going after Hard Sci-Fi) and I'd be my bottom dollar that there'll be much more to the moon being connected than we realize.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I was thinking about the sequels last night - I think we're going to really see some interesting stories from the world of Pandora. It's a world with limitless possibility and I think of all people Jim will want to maximize that potential.

I may be going big on this claim, but I am almost certain that we'll see massively different areas of both time and space in an almost 'VR' like experience of the various characters visiting other times and places through the Tree of Souls. Think about it, we could see Jake viewing CQ's first trip to Pandora, or even see the history of the Na'vi, how they came to be, and how Eywa formed (I'm going to guess that it won't be any religious shit, Jim is going after Hard Sci-Fi) and I'd be my bottom dollar that there'll be much more to the moon being connected than we realize.

I've got a feeling there will be some big reveals, like you said the other day. Eywa will be a scientific creation by either the Na'Vi's ancestors or someone else, I think it will be the Na'Vi as he wouldn't want it too similar to the alien franchise.

• Like 1