Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Lol, rap has 0 place in Avatar

As if it had a place in BP. Nothing in BP was about rap, yet the songs dealt with issues of racism, black etc. They are their separate thing but part of BP soundtrack. He can do something similar for Avatar...dealing with environment, climate change etc. James Cameron needs to change with time. I am bored of his style of score/sound track...it is tooooooo outdated/old school.

24 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

As if it had a place in BP. Nothing in BP was about rap, yet the songs dealt with issues of racism, black etc. They are their separate thing but part of BP soundtrack. He can do something similar for Avatar...dealing with environment, climate change etc. James Cameron needs to change with time. I am bored of his style of score/sound track...it is tooooooo outdated/old school.

If Lamar was to write a track based on Avatar and climate change then what ever. However I'm categorically against any rap within the actual film, it would be absolutely ridiculous and out of place.

18 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

There was no rap within BP. 

Ah I assumed there was, yeah I don't see why something like this can't be done, the environmental message is important.

However Jim will be walking a tight rope, lots of people don't want to be preached too about climate change and if Avatar did something similar to BP and marketed itself as a revolutionary politicly film it could hurt it. First and foremost to spread the message you need maximum turnout. In Avatar the earth is fucked due to cooperate greed so when the story plays out naturally it will have an obvious yet subtle message.

Edited by IronJimbo

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Ah I assumed there was, yeah I don't see why something like this can't be done, the environmental message is important.

However Jim will be walking a tight rope, lots of people don't want to be preached too about climate change and if Avatar did something similar to BP and marketed itself as a revolutionary politicly film it could hurt it.

It has to be marketed keeping in mind the native Indians and greed of human nature to exploit resources...he has to go all the way without the actual movie being too preachy. That's what I liked about BP, it gave the message without coming across as preachy. Avatar was great but too on the nose preachy. 

Dude, you have to watch BP. 

6 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

It has to be marketed keeping in mind the native Indians and greed of human nature to exploit resources...he has to go all the way without the actual movie being too preachy. That's what I liked about BP, it gave the message without coming across as preachy. Avatar was great but too on the nose preachy. 

Dude, you have to watch BP. 

I wasn't calling BP too preachy! I haven't seen it as I've said, I was calling it's marketing campaign preachy. I don't think a marketing campaign like that would work for Avatar, it evidently worked for Black Panther with it's massive opening weekend aswell as black turnout higher than white turnout in America despite being a 70% white country. I'll check it out on DVD/Blu-Ray like I have with the rest of the Marvel films since Avengers, the last marvel disappointment I watched in Cinema.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • ...wtf 1

7 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Howard Shore is my current pick. 

LOTR is one of the all time best soundtracks (and i enjoy Hobbit's, too) but otherwise i feel he's done nothing noteworthy and every time i hear his music i'm instantly reminded of LOTR since i know that music by heart. So i dunno how i would feel about it to be honest....

Edited by Elessar

11 hours ago, lilmac said:

Who should score the Avatar sequels?

If not John Willaims or Zimmer, then James Newton Howard of course.

The current darlings are Michael Giacchino and Alexandre Desplat but I think JNH ranks above them all. The Lady in the Water soundtrack, for example, is one for the ages. Up there with any score not named Star Wars (classical trilogy) and Lord of the Rings. Signs, Unbreakable and The Village were also stellar. As well as Sixth Sense (main theme).

Beautiful music... James Newton Howard has done some very impressive work throughout his career. Like i said earlier, he would be among my top choices for the Avatar sequels. What is he up to these days? Is it just me or is he on hiatus?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Hard to say so I've got a broader range of 700-950m, people loved Avatar and they remember how they loved it.

I think China could easily outgross Domestic for Avatar 2.

Forgot to mention that Avatar had far fewer theaters than other top-grossing domestic films excluding Titanic. Only 3,461 theaters at its widest release when the norm is over 4,000 theaters. It should be released in at least 800-1,000 more theaters this time like all major event films. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime//widest.htm?page=WIDEST&p=.htm

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KP1025 said:

Forgot to mention that Avatar had far fewer theaters than other top-grossing domestic films excluding Titanic. Only 3,461 theaters at its widest release when the norm is over 4,000 theaters. It should be released in at least 800-1,000 more theaters this time like all major event films. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime//widest.htm?page=WIDEST&p=.htm

And people call me crazy when I call over 0.7A in China alone for A2. 

The Sun is basically the UK's Fox News, so take this with a grain of salt but...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5634805/star-wars-lord-of-the-rings-and-avatar-among-top-films-you-must-see-at-cinema/

reminder if you didn't watch this on the big screen you didn't experience it in it's ultimate glory.

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

The Sun is basically the UK's Fox News, so take this with a grain of salt but...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5634805/star-wars-lord-of-the-rings-and-avatar-among-top-films-you-must-see-at-cinema/

reminder if you didn't watch this on the big screen you didn't experience it in it's ultimate glory.

I was actually lucky to catch Avatar a month after its opening day (couldn't see it prior), and I didn't regret it. It's the type of film that's best seen on the big screen, since you get to see the visual world-building fully on display. Makes me hope that Cameron can bring or maybe even top that same "cinematic feeling" for the sequel. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I was actually lucky to catch Avatar a month after its opening day (couldn't see it prior), and I didn't regret it. It's the type of film that's best seen on the big screen, since you get to see the visual world-building fully on display. Makes me hope that Cameron can bring or maybe even top that same "cinematic feeling" for the sequel. 

It's my flavour of the month thing to say but Jim was nominated 6/6 times for the vfx oscar on his big budget films, and won 5 of them. No one is more reliable to make something visually breathtaking.

• Like 4