Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

27 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I had the title as my profile pic, but not now. Only when the trailer hits, I might get on board.

Well that's even more weird. Why were you on the hype train in the first place, and why you decided to step off?

4 hours ago, vc2002 said:

Well that's even more weird. Why were you on the hype train in the first place, and why you decided to step off?

Because I am fan of Avatar and was initially very excited once they officially announced the sequel, but now I think there are many other films especially MCU stuff that are higher on my anticipated list. That and I have this feeling that Avatar 2 will have a hard time becoming a phenomenon/cultural event.

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

Because I am fan of Avatar and was initially very excited once they officially announced the sequel, but now I think there are many other films especially MCU stuff that are higher on my anticipated list. That and I have this feeling that Avatar 2 will have a hard time becoming a phenomenon/cultural event.

Will it's easier to anticipate things which are seemingly within reach!

People loved Avatar and we've been told by the man himself that if you loved Avatar, you'll love Avatar 2. It's going to build upon the first film and the visuals are going to be incredible, but it will be grounded by human emotions.

Avatar, Titanic, Aliens, T2, and The Abyss all won the visual effects Oscar, and True Lies got nominated. That's everyone of his films except for The Terminator which had a budget of $6.4m dollars. If you can't trust Jim to make something beautiful who the hell can you trust?

Then there's story telling.. Jim is unquestionably one of the greatest story tellers in the business.

The sequel king, Aliens and The Terminator both are regarded as one of the best sequels of all time. What Jim does is gives us something fresh while staying truthful to the original, most sequels fall into the trap of trying to copy the first.

I understand that hype can be killed over time, but there's no reason to denounce your hype for Avatar 2. Everything points it being a fantastic film just like the first.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

This is interesting. Is there some sort of "interests capability limit" in our mind? You can only have interests in certain amount of things, and if a new interest(new MCU stuff) comes in, an old and kind of fading-out interest(Avatar) has to sacrifice its position for that.

I can't say whether this "interests capability limit" thing is really how our brain works. It kinda make sense. But on the other hand, judging whether A2 going to be a phenomenon event requires objective thinking. You can't say "I used to be very excited so I used to think A2 would, but now I'm not that excited so I think A2 will not". You can't let your own personal feeling to decide your prediction of objective matters.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

Max Richter, Clint Mansell, Craig Armstrong, Bear McCreary, Ludwig Göransson, Martin Phipps...

Max Richter makes some nice tracks, this one used in the Arrival soundtrack made the moment.

No idea if he could make something in Avatar's style though.

Sadly, that's exactly what I am going through. 

2 hours ago, vc2002 said:

This is interesting. Is there some sort of "interests capability limit" in our mind? You can only have interests in certain amount of things, and if a new interest(new MCU stuff) comes in, an old and kind of fading-out interest(Avatar) has to sacrifice its position for that.

I can't say whether this "interests capability limit" thing is really how our brain works. It kinda make sense. But on the other hand, judging whether A2 going to be a phenomenon event requires objective thinking. You can't say "I used to be very excited so I used to think A2 would, but now I'm not that excited so I think A2 will not". You can't let your own personal feeling to decide your prediction of objective matters.

I'm a huge fan of the first The Incredibles, yes time will dilute the impact of anything that grabs your attention however it doesn't mean I won't be lining up to see The Incredibles II or the next Avatar. Music has the same effect on me, a favourite artist-band releases a kick ass new album and they become an obsession for a little while then it fades a bit, a few years later when their newest album comes out it's the same feelings all over again most of the time unless they release a complete dud. It's mentally impossible to remain on a high forever no matter how good a movie, book or piece of music might be. 

As for Cameron the track record speaks for itself, look at the reaction the Flight of Passage ride is getting at Disney, where do you think that 4+ minutes of animation came from along with the mechanics of the ride itself? I have no doubt that came out of Lightstorm and his team, it might have the Disney badge but it's 100% Cameron approved. 

We still have a long way to go before we even get a hint of what this new tech will look like, I would sign a NDA in a nano second to get a look into the Avatar sequel laboratory and see some finished sequences or test footage.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, commendable said:

I have absolutely no doubts that avatar 2 will break out whether its with an insane OW or long ass legs. But I don't think a sequel is going to do any good if they aren't spaced out farther apart.

Quite a few sequels 1 year apart like Lotr, hobbit, harry potter make the same or more as the first film. I don't see why Avatar can't too.

Edited by IronJimbo

2 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

What are your predictions for the domestic market? Avatar would adjust to over $900 million by 2020.

Hard to say so I've got a broader range of 700-950m, people loved Avatar and they remember how they loved it.

I think China could easily outgross Domestic for Avatar 2.

Who should score the Avatar sequels?

If not John Williams or Zimmer, then James Newton Howard of course.

The current darlings are Michael Giacchino and Alexandre Desplat but I think JNH ranks above them all. The Lady in the Water soundtrack, for example, is one for the ages. Up there with any score not named Star Wars (classical trilogy) and Lord of the Rings. Signs, Unbreakable and The Village were also stellar. As well as Sixth Sense (main theme).

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, lilmac said:

If not John Willaims or Zimmer, then James Newton Howard of course.

The current darlings are Michael Giacchino and Alexandre Desplat but I think JNH ranks above them all. The Lady in the Water soundtrack, for example, is one for the ages. Up there with any score not named Star Wars (classical trilogy) and Lord of the Rings. Signs, Unbreakable and The Village were also stellar. As well as Sixth Sense (main theme).

What makes you think Zimmer is an option?:wintf:

Edited by vc2002

3 hours ago, lilmac said:

If not John Willaims or Zimmer, then James Newton Howard of course.

JNH is my first pick for now. Please not zimmer, please not zimmer.

3 hours ago, KP1025 said:

Zimmer's soundtracks are majestic, but I find most of them pretty forgettable. Avatar needs something more emotional and memorable. A good soundtrack can really elevate the hype for a movie.

exactly

Edited by IronJimbo