Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

It's my flavour of the month thing to say but Jim was nominated 6/6 times for the vfx oscar on his big budget films, and won 5 of them. No one is more reliable to make something visually breathtaking.

Cameron is absolutely a master when it comes to groundbreaking special effects. In fact, his visuals make a lot of modern special effects look amateurish. We've been getting so much average CGI in blockbusters, even in movies I really like, that I'm ready for Avatar 2 to show the "rookies" how it's done. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

@grim22 has just given official sanction from the mod team that the very idea of anything even beating Avatar is "Crazy". Good to know for when A2 comes out Avatar friends. 

HAHAHA that was a very sneaky move ;) Infinity War was the only movie with a chance to get close in the next few years. So the mods thought it was too crazy, thus proving that the only contender for the King is the King himself :D 

Edited by feasby007
  • Thanks 1

Just now, feasby007 said:

HAHAHA that was a very sneaky move ;) Infinity War was the only movie with a chance to get close. So the mods thought it was too crazy, thus proving that the only contender for the King is the King himself :D 

Hopefully the won't lock my A2>A club when we're eligible to create it... 

4 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

@grim22 has just given official sanction from the mod team that the very idea of anything even beating Avatar is "Crazy". Good to know for when A2 comes out Avatar friends. 

Infinity War Part 1 + 2 combined over Avatar WW would have been a closer club. I'm guessing probably something like $2.8- 3 billion combined for the two of them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Hopefully the won't lock my A2>A club when we're eligible to create it... 

Depends how ballsy you go and the state of China. For all we know China is on the brink of exploding exponentially, to the point where A2>2A could be a reasonable club

• Like 1

1 minute ago, feasby007 said:

Depends how ballsy you go and the state of China. For all we know China is on the brink of exploding exponentially, to the point where A2>2A could be a reasonable club

I've been laughed at before for saying this, but I seriously think A2 could potentially make over 2A worldwide. 

• Astonished 2

3 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

A2>2A... now thats a club I can get behind :hahaha:

• Like 2

10,172 billions yuan, avatar made $204,129,854 in China in January 2010, which equates to ¥1.394b. So Avatar had a yearly share of 13.7% of the box office.

China in 2017 was ¥55.9b increasing 22.3% on 2016. This means by the time Avatar releases in likely January 2021, we'd be at the following:

2018 End: ¥68.4b

2019 End: ¥83.5b

2020 End: ¥102.1b

Therefore it is not that unreasonable to think that Avatar 2 could do 13.7% of ¥102.1b, or rather ¥14.0b, which equates to a gigantic $2.20 BILLION. 

I'd say A2>2A is actually a rather reasonable projection this far out.

1 minute ago, feasby007 said:

10,172 billions yuan, avatar made $204,129,854 in China in January 2010, which equates to ¥1.394b. So Avatar had a yearly share of 13.7% of the box office.

China in 2017 was ¥55.9b increasing 22.3% on 2016. This means by the time Avatar releases in likely January 2021, we'd be at the following:

2018 End: ¥68.4b

2019 End: ¥83.5b

2020 End: ¥102.1b

Therefore it is not that unreasonable to think that Avatar 2 could do 13.7% of ¥102.1b, or rather ¥14.0b, which equates to a gigantic $2.20 BILLION. 

I'd say A2>2A is actually a rather reasonable projection this far out.

Imagine this multiplied by Jim managing to get the restriction lifted on how long A2 can stay in the cinema there. 

42 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Stranger things have happened in box office, and we of anyone should know that being box office fans at a box office forum, so it's funny when your club is closed as having a goal that's too out of reach. I mean I agree it's far out of reach, but still...

if anyone opened a Black Panther 4-day > JL domestic run last year prior to JL opening, I'm sure it'll be closed for the same reason.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

In. :hahaha:

Just now, IronJimbo said:

100% IN

If you extrapolate further though, given average ticket price is about ¥35, and has stabilised a little, then that ¥14.0b gives A2 400 million admissions, which is totally reasonable to be honest, as that's only one in 4 people have to see it, and then 1/3 of those love it so much they watch it again.

If you crunch the numbers this seems really reasonable

• Like 1