Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Unobtanium has been used as a generic term for a very long time. I do wonder why they didn't just name the one in the movie Pandorium or something unique to Avatar. Then again, all these fictional metals pretty much sound the same anyways.

Edited by KP1025
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

Unobtanium has been used as a generic term for a very long time. I do wonder why they didn't just name it Pandorium or something unique to Avatar. Then again, all these fictional metals pretty much sound the same anyways.

They'd find something else to pick at anyway, it's tough at the top. 

4 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Rank the fake mineral/element/whatever names in media:

Adamantium > Kryptonite > Vibranium > Australium > Tritanium > Duranium > Unobtainium > Nth metal

krypotnites more unobtainable than unobtainium, also.. austrailum? lol

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

On average films where the MacGuffin is unobtainium gross the highest, so I'll go with that as first, then the rest. 

this

Edited by IronJimbo

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

Rank the fake mineral/element/whatever names in media:

Adamantium > Kryptonite > Vibranium > Australium > Tritanium > Duranium > Unobtainium > Nth metal

I don't remember Unobtainium being actually used in the movie in any way. That's one of the things that I want to see in the sequels. You gotta show what the earth really looks like and why Unobtainium is so precious. These were told in words in Avatar, but since there will be 4 more movies, these need to be shown in real earth scenes. Inevitably there will be humans revenge in the sequels anyway.

19 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

What kind of imperialistic nut would call taking back what you tried to steal in the first place 'revenge'?  

Revenge is just "pay back". It can be for good or bad. Like "Revenge of the Sith".

We're not playing the word game here. You got the point.

Edited by vc2002

Just now, vc2002 said:

Revenge is just "pay back". It can be for good or bad. Like "Revenge of the Sith".

We're not playing the word game here. You got my point.

I got your point, and of course you're correct in the strictest definition of the word, but I read that you almost felt the humans would be correct in any reaction to the action of the Na'vi in the first movie when you used the term 'revenge'. Apologies for any confusion, I think I misread your tone. 

"There's NOTHING we have that they want"....pretty much sums it all up to me. 

Of course the humans will be back, there will be conflict and more violence. I'm more interested in how JC and his team can twist these themes over the course of 2-4 movies without rehashing the same familiar tropes over and over again. 

6 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Of course the humans will be back, there will be conflict and more violence. I'm more interested in how JC and his team can twist these themes over the course of 2-4 movies without rehashing the same familiar tropes over and over again. 

That's the fun of it though, we could go the transhumanist route, the McKennian shamanist route, or some kind of Ellulian dive into primitive culture to name but three. Although knowing Jim he'll have something that I couldn't think of in a thousand lifetimes up his sleeves.  

3 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

Jim, Weaver and Lang have already hyped the stories/plot going forward. "shit yourself with your mouth open" etc

I think A2 will be about Jake trying to get all the tribes to unite, thats a stab in the dark though.

Edited by IronJimbo

7 hours ago, vc2002 said:

I don't remember Unobtainium being actually used in the movie in any way. That's one of the things that I want to see in the sequels. You gotta show what the earth really looks like and why Unobtainium is so precious. These were told in words in Avatar, but since there will be 4 more movies, these need to be shown in real earth scenes. Inevitably there will be humans revenge in the sequels anyway.

You could argue that it was used to make the mountains float. I think that was the explanation for them?