Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Just now, Deep Wang said:

You give two different directors the same script and you are gonna get two completely different movies. 

This isn't about quality, this is about box office results. I don't think anything Cameron would've done with the same exact concept and script would've convinced general audiences to go see it. It's just not that kind of project.

Just now, dudalb said:

I don't have a problem with Cameron rerealesing Avatar...it has been long enough that you have a whole bunch of people who have never seen it on the big screen just on video......but to say it  is going to be a huge grosser and make more then NWH is just plain silly.

It's getting the full rerelease treatment, and it's literally going to be remastered in both visuals and sound. Disney even included it in their slate of films image as its own thing. 

It will act as both a movie and as an advertisement. 

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

You give two different directors the same script and you are gonna get two completely different movies. 

THIS. It should be a obvious point, but a lot of people don't get.

You really think you gave a Hitchock film's script t oanother director, you would get a Hitchcock film?

5 minutes ago, watcher1232 said:

Yeah and it still didn't make that much money. I like Alita, a lot actually, but I'm just saying acting like if Cameron directed it would make a difference is kind of ridiculous.

It is ridiculous to claim that it would not have done much different. Again, it would have been a different movie. Nobody knows what would have happened.

• Like 1

Just now, Elessar said:

It is ridiculous to claim that it would not have done much different. Again, it would have been a different movie. Nobody knows what would have happened.

It would not have done much different in my opinion. At the end of the day it still would've been an adaptation of an obscure manga and 4 episode anime series.

• Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, watcher1232 said:

People can purposefully misread what I'm saying as much as they want, but box office is not determined by quality. Yes Cameron directing would've been a different movie, but that's not what determines box office. 

for effectively a stand alone movie, it definitely is the main factor.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, watcher1232 said:

Going by WGA rules if Rodriguez wrote any significant part of it, he'd be the one credited. Rodriguez definitely did edits on it but it's still Cameron's script.

The original draft Cameron write have about 600 pages 

The final draft came from that and ended up being a 2 hour movie... This is RR work, he decided what he was using and how. 

Alita is not Cameron movie and not his script because he wasn't the one choosing and structuring the whole thing. He's credited because he write the source material that RR uses to edit down to his script. 

Stop with this arguments is just trolling now and @Eric is a furry already warned you.

• Like 1

Honestly, im looking forward for this films box office run for one main reason:

We will finally know how much this will gross. We will finally know if the Cameron loonies here were right or wrong all along, aswell as the people who give this film more modest predictions like me. Either way, it will be tons of fun to follow this run.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

The final draft came from that and ended up being a 2 hour movie... This is RR work, he decided what he was using and how. 

Alita is not Cameron movie and not his script because he wasn't the one choosing and structuring the whole thing. He's credited because he write the source material that RR uses to edit down to his script. 

Stop with this arguments is just trolling now and @Eric is a furry already warned you.

How is it trolling to literally say who was credited? Anyways to appease you all, I genuinely think Animal Kingdom has done a great job keeping Avatar relevant and popular.

• Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, watcher1232 said:

People can purposefully misread what I'm saying as much as they want, but box office is not determined by quality. Yes Cameron directing would've been a different movie, but that's not what determines box office. 

I think the number of films pretty much considered bad films that have made a lot of money, and  the very good films that have bombed at the box office  oroves that.

Nothing makes me angrier then the whole "if it made a lot of money it has to be a good movie" mentality.

Just now, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

We will finally know how much this will gross. We will finally know if the Cameron loonies here were right or wrong all along, aswell as the people who give this film more modest predictions like me. Either way, it will be tons of fun to follow this run.

The fact we're even called 'loonies' makes it hilarious too. If it does meet or exceed our expectations or bomb, either way there are going to be people who will be imploding (me included). 

I've already got my flight to Switzerland booked if this does under a billion. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

And then everyone will start arguing over the third movie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Covid has thrown a massive spanner in the works.

All previous predictions are void to be honest, and I don't follow box office enough anymore to have a clue what the best performing film in 13 years would look like in this climate.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

ANyway the WGA rules are convulted and a joke in the industry, since many writers who contrbuted little to the script that was actually shot get credit, and writers who really wrote a lot of what you see on the screen get no credit.

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

And then everyone will start arguing over the third movie

Ofc, but atleast then we will have this films gross here as a way more plausible comparison for Movie Number 3 than the original film compared to this. Having the movies 12 years or only 2 years apart makes a big difference with predictions.

CALLING PEOPLE WHO BEEN FOLLOWING COVID BOX OFFICE

Say if Avatar was to do ~4.5 billies in 2022, in an alternate universe where covid never existed.

What would that look like in our covid ridden universe?