Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

7 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Glad you loved the film by the way. I take fellow AVATAR fanboys views more seriously because i also loved the first film, and i feel fanboys also loving the sequel means i probably will.

We have had at least 2 AVATAR fans on here give glowing reviews to the film so far!.

That's why I'm so happy brother Stewart. And our fellow Pandora fanboys here loved all the Cameron films we keep on high tentpoles of quality.

So that's all I need to know and I feel Cameron gets the biggest domestic and OS gross yet again!!.

Shoot I get some extra time and money on my hands. A2 will get  at least 5 viewings from me.

1B domestic and 3.5B or more WW

" Hell Yeah!"

" Let's Get It Done!"

" I want to live there again and I am ready to ...

High Five James Cameron GIF by Regal

RIDE!!

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

By the way my fellow brothers and sisters, the film was officially certified 'Fresh' on RT earlier today, with a 82 RT score, the same as the first movie.

Could this be a sign!?

When are you going to see it? Have fun!

1 minute ago, dignam said:

Yeah i was just sitting there and thought "Wtf, this is neytiri? Holy shit" :what: poor jake sully :rofl:

But I also appreciated Sully here. That love coming from a father, although his ways were a little bit different to those of Neytiri.

And that fight in the end. Was just sooo good.

1 minute ago, kayumanggi said:

When are you going to see it? Have fun!

Friday at 10am in 2D.

I wanted my first viewing to be 'the full experience' in 3D, but all the 3D showing over the weekend are booked out except the crppy seats right at the front that i dont like.

So when i go on Friday i'm going to book a 3D showing for next Monday.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Friday at 10am in 2D.

I wanted my first viewing to be 'the full experience' in 3D, but all the 3D showing over the weekend are booked out except the crppy seats right at the front that i dont like.

So when i go on Friday i'm going to book a 3D showing for next Monday.

I see. I had the same experience. So I watched it in 2D first then will try to find a showing in 3D when my schedule permits. I can't imagine how amazing this would look on 3D. I hope you can update us on Monday. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

By the way my fellow brothers and sisters, the film was officially certified 'Fresh' on RT earlier today, with a 82 RT score, the same as the first movie.

Could this be a sign!?

THE SIGNS ARE THERE!! CERTIFIED FRESH! ( And in the same range as Avatar1..Very nice 82!)

Avatar Way of the Water Runs Away with all the Box Office Major Records

(music playing)

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating
  • Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

But I also appreciated Sully here. That love coming from a father, although his ways were a little bit different to those of Neytiri.

And that fight in the end. Was just sooo good.

Jepp sully was also great, i loved him as a father.

Oh man dont remind me, that one scene will haunt me for a very long time, it hit me like a fucking truck. I was emotional devastated.

Edited by dignam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheldon Cr said:

THE SIGNS ARE THERE!!

FOR Avatar Way of the Water Runs Away with all the Box Office Major Records

(music playing)

Eywa is giving us the signs Shedon. Certified Fesh with a 82 score, the same as the first movie. Major snow storms in the US over the weekend apparently, the same as the first movie.

She;'s telling us not to lose faith, and that A2 will be the biggest movie of all time, yet again!.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Eywa is giving us the signs Shedon. Certified Fesh with a 82 score, the same as the first movie. Major snow storms in the US over the weekend apparently, the same as the first movie.

She;'s telling us not to lose faith, and that A2 will be the biggest movie of all time, yet again!.

Pandorians, Titanic, Avatar2 Fans have heard the call. We will make it known why Pandora chews all the movies up and uses their Eyes For Ju Ju Beans my brother

:THAT THIS!!  "THIS IS OUR LAND!"

Movie Fox GIF

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I see. I had the same experience. So I watched it in 2D first then will try to find a showing in 3D when my schedule permits. I can't imagine how amazing this would look on 3D. I hope you can update us on Monday. 😀

Love the excitement  of my brother's and sisters coming and returning again to our dream world of  Pandora...Love it.

Can't wait for my trip.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, daftcat said:

Avatar is no more full of clichés than any four quadrant blockbuster - particularly in recent memory. Its story is no more archetypical compared to the deluge of comic book movies that have been released over the last decade or so (as much as I enjoy them). Yet that's the reductive narrative that has emerged from the ashes of the first film, and it's only fermented in the interim. And the more cash and awards this one rakes in, the worse it will get - just as it did with the original. It may even intensify for future sequels now that the novelty of a new Avatar movie has worn off - I wouldn't be surprised to see the fourth or fifth film scoring outright negative reviews, despite no obvious drop in quality. 

For whatever reason, everyone seems to love Avatar - except for a very vocal, persistent, and perhaps growing minority of the online discourse that seems hellbent on applying a much higher standard to this than to other blockbusters. Perhaps that's earned, given the Cameron name. And I do see similarly high standards applied to other prestige directors (e.g. Nolan - though I think he earned the flak he got for Tenet)… but it can be a bit frustrating. And it's weird that it comes from both high-brow cinephiles that see the film as a vapid technical exercise and an affront to cinema, and the more mainstream fans that get triggered by the notion that Cameron's filmography harkens back to the golden age of blockbuster filmmaking. 

I'm glad someone else notices this, excellent analysis!

As I previously discussed, I think it has to do something with Avatar's general misanthropy and cynical view of the human race. It's a mirror for all our negative qualities as a species and shows our impending doom and the consequences of our ancestors' greedy, selfish and imperialistic actions (still ongoing btw!) and many people just aren't comfortable dealing with that. And then it introduces a new alien race that's supposedly more pure and noble than us evil humans.

Hence why most people "forgot" what the first movie was about. It's also interesting that the most vocal haters are the fanboys of the most idealistic franchises (Marvel, Star Wars) that are Avatar's antithesis in a way. The young male (usually white) human saves the day (or the universe) in those stories. In Avatar, the protagonist had to abandon his own humanity to BE the hero.

More ramblings:

Spoiler

At first, I even thought that maybe it was because of James Cameron's perceived public image. Maybe people just want to humble the arrogant and ambitious (too ambitious) director who achieved (too much) success. After Titanic become #1 of all time, people started treating it like Twilight. It was suddenly "cringe", "only successful cause Leo's rabid teenage female fans went to see it multiple times". Then Avatar unseated it from its throne and became the new target. Titanic was re-released in 2012 and people acted as if they always regarded it as a classic masterpiece and never gave it backlash at one point. So that's why I don't think it's about James himself.

The same things also happened with Marvel around the time Infinity War and Endgame grossed $2B each. Suddenly lots of people came out (actors and directors) and called them "mere theme park rides" or worse (James Cameron ironically always said he liked the movies and even put out that congratulatory note for Endgame, so idk why MCU fans still see him as an enemy)

Anyway, then there's The Force Awakens which received similar criticisms to Avatar in that it's too "derivative", a carbon copy of another classic film and yet that sits in the 90s on RT! And it was never as lambasted as Avatar despite it still being the #1 domestic grosser of all time to this day. Out of all these examples, it's Avatar that got the most hate and is the most dismissed.

So yeah I stand by my theory about Avatar's misanthropy and foreshadowing our planet's future just repelling something subconsciously within people despite its other subconsciously appealing qualities (fantasy, beauty of nature, community, spirituality, romance, etc.) simultaneously and almost paradoxically making it the highest grosser ever. Maybe the fact that it's still #1 and not the idealistic pro-human favorites turns people off even more. Who knows if Avatar would still get the same amount of hate if it was just #5 or something.

Edited by Royce
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So many people keep mentioning that this movie (specifically the last act) is way more emotional than the first movie

I have really high expectations now because that scene where Neytiri puts on the oxygen mask on Jake's face, saving him and seeing him in his human form for the first time... still one of the most touching scenes I've ever seen in my life. An unconditional and universal love story that transcends space, time and worlds. Cried as hard as I did when Old Rose slept peacefully and went back to a resurrected Titanic and saw all those people and Jack again. The fall of the Home Tree was also very emotional. I don't remember seeing that in Pocahontas! Avatar's story is quite underrated if you ask me lol

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

Robbie Collin is really rooting for this to fail isn't he? 

Did this guy seriously not figure out what a consensus is in 2022 or is he just playing dumb on purpose? Does he quote RT asking why they aren't talking about his - minority - opinion under every film where the consensus went in another direction?

Like, I get not liking the film, you're allowed to. But the hatred towards this specific film by someone who should watch and rate hundreds a year is just bizarre.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bruce said:

Have Finished it,mind-blowing level’s visual effect make my head feel shock even long after I walked out to the cinema,needless to say,the best of whole mivie industry

The Story is not that good but it’s OK,maybe is bit long,I think 150min is better

I give this one 7.5/10,same cinema experience as  Endgame and Aquaman ,better than NWH

Hey Bruce, I know you (like I) had very very high expectations for the movie, were you ultimately satisfied with what you got?