Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Fox won't pay a billion, I doubt that. People don't even know that Fox only paid 40% or something of Avatar's budget. The rest was a string of production companies because Fox was not confident enough even after Cameron gave them Titanic just like Legendary/WB split on PR:

Yea but now that Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time don't you think they'll be more willing to front a higher percentage if not all of the costs?  Not saying they will just questioning the logic given Avatar's success.

I just saw it was for 3 (?!) movies and not 2 anymore. Now I can understand that estimation.

So that put to rest that endless bitching about who gonna win 2015? Disney obviously.

Who gonna win 2016,2017,2018?: JAMES CAMERON! B)

Will he be the first director that put each part of his saga above the 1,5B WW mark?

2018 could go to TA3.   ;)

3 sequels confirmed?  BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I hope somehow Cameron dumps the idea of making 3 more Avatar's.  A trilogy is enough and just finish Battle Angel as your last dance. :unsure:

Since they film it back to back, one additional movie doesn't add up that much more time.

So year #1 movie:

2012: Marvel

2013: Marvel

2014: Marvel

2015: Marvel

2016: Cameron

2017: Cameron

2018: Cameron

2019: Marvel

Btw 2014 is quite unpredictable! We can't expect a billion from TWS, and even though TF4 won't make a billion, it will make around 850-900 WW! It will be neck and neck withTWS

DoFP < GOtG < DotPotA < Rio2 < HtTYD2 < Fast 7 < Interstellar < MJ < TASM2 < TABA < TF4 < TWS ( or TWS < TF4 )

Edited by The Joker

Btw 2014 is quite unpredictable! We can't expect a billion from TWS, and even though TF4 won't make a billion, it will make around 850-900 WW! It will be neck and neck withTWS

DoFP < interstellar < MJ < TASM2 < TABA < TF4 < TWS ( or TWS < TF4 )

I'm pretty sure when firedeep said Marvel will win 2014, he means TASM2.

And if TWS is what I think you mean, which is Cap 2, then  :rofl: No chance, bub, it might not even make Top 10 of the year.

• Like 1

overhyped. sure the initial sequel will do well. buts theres only so much that becomes original after the first sequel.

still subject to the usual cameron delays as it hasn't even been written yet.

avatar took a decade of production. i don't believe that 3 films will be released in 3 years, when he took 10 years to deliver avatar 1.

also looks very very expensive budget wise. add marketing cost of $250m a movie.

if it doesn't maintain the level of avatar 1, then the additional sequels will drop.

Edited by Halba

overhyped. sure the initial sequel will do well. buts theres only so much that becomes original after the first sequel.

Can you remind me how many Harry Potter movies were made with the last one making over a billion?

Knowing Cameron, he's got 100+ pages of fairly detailed scriptments for the three films, and he's going to split 'em up, hand them off to his new co-writers, and divide and conquer, so he can keep moving forward with pre-production while writing (and re-writing) along with the others. It's not like these new writers are starting from scratch or even from an idea or vague outline.

Furthermore, let's say $1b in production budget (combined) and $600m for marketing budgets. The first film alone is gonna cover the vast bulk of that, making the next two giant profit-machines.... basically, THE HOBBIT on a much larger scale.

• Like 5

avatar took a decade of production. i don't believe that 3 films will be released in 3 years, when he took 10 years to deliver avatar 1.

also looks very very expensive budget wise. add marketing cost of $250m a movie.

if it doesn't maintain the level of avatar 1, then the additional sequels will drop.

Jim wrote a 80 page treatment for AVATAR in 1994, and started a project with Digital Domain and Fox, to release AVATAR in summer 1999. But he gave up the idea, due to the lack of Technology. Then after watching LOTR trilogy he felt the time has come, then he began the development of the movie in 2005 with WETA and Fox! So its actually 4-5 years of development and production! In 1998 nothing went into production, not even the production design, Jim just discussed his ideas with DD and Fox about AVATAR!

Edited by The Joker
  • Like 2