Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

James Cameron:

"It was a year and a half to generate three scripts and then six months for me to realize that the first sequel script needed to be two movies.
Then 18 months for me to go back and redraft and personally write all four of the shooting scripts, including the split of the first sequel.

The new film is much, much more nuanced in terms of performance, much more complex emotionally, i think, than the first film by a country mile, maybe an order of magnitude.

Not to diminish the first film but... that was more about the awe and wonder.
This second film is more about the characters."

Edited by omark
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, omark said:

James Cameron:

"It was a year and a half to generate three scripts and then six months for me to realize that the first sequel script needed to be two movies.
Then 18 months for me to go back and redraft and personally write all four of the shooting scripts, including the split of the first sequel.

The new film is much, much more nuanced in terms of performance, much more complex emotionally, i think, than the first film by a country mile, maybe an order of magnitude.

It's great right! The amount of effort put into Avatar 2 far exceeds anything Jim has done before. Welcome to the forums by the way :)

Most of my info comes from Jim people! So when I said the story will be richer in Avatar 2, it's because Jim said it would be many times.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, omark said:

James Cameron:

It was good to hear from Cameron talking passionately about projects he has done and is still continuing. Looking forward to A2 

Edited by Nero

Based on Zoe Saldana comments that A3 is so much better and these James Cameron comments it seems A3 is the pay off from A2?

Hopefully A2 ends on a point that makes you excited to watch A3 asap. Dune Part 1 would be a good comparison, even though Dune ends and it's pretty clear the story is not finished. Dune ends and it's like the first episode of a TV series ended and you have to tune next week to find out what happens next.

21 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Based on Zoe Saldana comments that A3 is so much better and these James Cameron comments it seems A3 is the pay off from A2?

Hopefully A2 ends on a point that makes you excited to watch A3 asap. Dune Part 1 would be a good comparison, even though Dune ends and it's pretty clear the story is not finished. Dune ends and it's like the first episode of a TV series ended and you have to tune next week to find out what happens next.

This is not a part 1 movie, itt's a stand alone movie that works on it's own.

More likely the outlooks are better for the na'vi in the 3rd film as she's emotionally attatched to her character. For example in A2 humans got the upper hand, in A3 the na'vi fight back massively.

Something like this is far more likely than the film being a Dune: Part 1, which will go against everything said about the movie by Jim & Landau

Edited by IronJimbo

54 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

She didn't necessarily said part 3 is better than part 2, full quote from interview:

(regard Avatar 2) "it will be groundbreaking it will be gut-wrenching; it would be beautiful; it will be you know uh it'll just be really profound and if two is able to captivate you and the way that one did then then just, please wait for three because it's so much better too"

Edited by adaros

I was thinking about something last night, something that hadnt even crossed my mind.

IF, and its a big if with the covid problems in China, if A2 does become the biggest film of all time, that will mean not only has Cameron directed the biggest movoie of all time 3 times, but he will of done it 3 times IN A ROW!.

I mean would that EVER be repeated again?, i mean the movie industry could go on for another 1000 years and that probably wont ever be replicated again.

Now again, its going to be very hard to do with the China situation due to covid as i feel we could be losing somthing like 500-700mil from the final worldwide total (I orig had China down for a bill, but with the covid problems i'm going to guess it tops out around 300mil).

Still regardless, what an achievemnet to be even in the running for the driector ofthe biggest movie of all time 3 times in a row!.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I was thinking about something last night, something that hadnt even crossed my mind.

IF, and its a big if with the covid problems in China, if A2 does become the biggest film of all time, that will mean not only has Cameron directed the biggest movoie of all time 3 times, but he will of done it 3 times IN A ROW!.

I mean would that EVER be repeated again?, i mean the movie industry could go on for another 1000 years and that probably wont ever be replicated again.

Now again, its going to be very hard to do with the China situation due to covid as i feel we could be losing somthing like 500-700mil from the final worldwide total (I orig had China down for a bill, but with the covid problems i'm going to guess it tops out around 300mil).

Still regardless, what an achievemnet to be even in the running for the driector ofthe biggest movie of all time 3 times in a row!.

To add to this, if Avatar 2 becomes the highest grossing movie of all time with the poor global conditions. Then it makes it easier for Avatar 3 to outgross Avatar 2 and do it 4x :D

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, adaros said:

I see many 'YouTube movie critics' jumping on bandwagon making videos like 'Avatar 2 will totally flop' based on this latest GQ interview that indicated movie need 2B to break even. 

Did Jim do this on purpose? Avatar 2 does not need 2B to break even. It's pretty funny really

17 minutes ago, adaros said:

I see many 'YouTube movie critics' jumping on bandwagon making videos like 'Avatar 2 will totally flop' based on this latest GQ interview that indicated movie need 2B to break even. 

Youtubers and the twittersphere have been saying this will flop long before his GQ interview. Having unpopular opinons these days gets you the most clicks.

25 minutes ago, adaros said:

good 

its more fun that way

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Did Jim do this on purpose? Avatar 2 does not need 2B to break even. It's pretty funny really

I dont think Jim did it on purpose. I feel something was lost in translation in the interview.

Obviously he was given 1bill for the sequels, and he's been filming them back to back, and i guess thats where the confusion came from.

Obviously Jim didnt use the whole 1bill on A2 alone, and you would of hoped these movie sites would have the common sense to realize that. Alas it makes a good headline to get clicks.