Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

You're just describing what is going to happen to Avengers 2 in a nutshell. Cameron has shattered common pattern with 2 of the biggest anomalies ever, he operates on an abnormal course of his own as for now.

I agree about AVENGERS 2. I don't think I'm selling Cameron short with my prediction, though. I think the only way it surpasses A1 domestically is it wins Best Picture, which would mean significantly better reviews (enough to counter all the nay-sayers who might've skipped it to think maybe they should check it out again).

I agree about AVENGERS 2. I don't think I'm selling Cameron short with my prediction, though. I think the only way it surpasses A1 domestically is it wins Best Picture, which would mean significantly better reviews (enough to counter all the nay-sayers who might've skipped it to think maybe they should check it out again).

With the amount of scriptwriters he brought on-board and the fact Cameron is allowing them to streamline his draft and putting some external input, I'm confident those that are bitching about lack of script will be put at rest and get bitch slapped by the time he drops that juggernaut on us.

• Like 1

Why will people want to watch it again and again? We've already been to Pandora, it won't be a new and unique thing. Neither is 3D or performance-capture, no matter how brilliantly done it is.

I don't think it comes anywhere close to a 160-170 OW either... not in mid-December. Maybe 120-130 or so. Figure that and give it a 4-5x multiplier and that's where it lands, domestically.

Could be going to one of the other moons and I bet Cameron will introduce a new unseen technology. Look at T1 to T2.

• Like 1

Look at STAR WARS and EMPIRE... probably our best comparison right now (domestically, at least). You have the original: a juggernaut of a movie that set new visual standards and shattered box-office records, and was a science-fiction film that got nominated for a bunch of Oscars, including Best Picture. You have a collection of characters that people fell in love with. You have a new and exciting universe that people wanted to see more of.

And then EMPIRE comes out and -- in many ways -- is superior to the first film. Yet despite that, it fell 30%+ in terms of gross. There's only so many mountains out there, not every single one is gonna be Mt. Everest, *especially* if it's a sequel.

3 years instead of 6, plus did Lucas bring anything new discernible to audiences? Empire yes, but look at Cameron's sequel track record: T2 and Aliens.

• Like 1

3 years instead of 6, plus did Lucas bring anything new discernible to audiences? Empire yes, but look at Cameron's sequel track record: T2 and Aliens.

Alien was more successful than Aliens and The Terminator wasn't a huge boxoffice hit, Terminator 2 had nowhere to go but up.

97% of movies are  predicrtable in fact I never understood exactly why Avatar got so much of this predictable argument compared to other movies.

Maybe so but I can't think of another movie so rife with tropes and clichés.

Anyway bashing Avatar is passé. It was a solid movie and I'd probably go see a sequel. But definitely not my cup of tea.

Edited by Herr Mike

Alien was more successful than Aliens and The Terminator wasn't a huge boxoffice hit, Terminator 2 had nowhere to go but up.

Stop saying shit and learn to read (for once):

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=alien.htm

Alien: 78M DOM - 104 WW

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=aliens.htm

Aliens: 85M DOM - 131M WW