Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

All global production will shift to essential foodstuffs, Avatar 2 merchandise, and materials necessary to sustain Avatar 2 screenings. Our children will wonder how we ever could have been foolish enough to waste our resources on things like books, 2D projectors, and ambulances.

• Like 1

If they are actually having one of the sequels to be a prequel, I want it for A3 to make us even more attached to the characters for the final showdown in A4. For that to happen, I really want no humans in A2. Bring them back in A4 AND bring in outside threats would make the heroes face the biggest threat of their lives, and very entertaining for us to watch them overcome adversity.

• Like 1

Well, it would unrealistic to expect that humans wouldn't return because no country that ahs to leave their colonies ever go away without return. But that's just one way they can go with the story. The other is inter-Na'vi politics. It can't be all Kumbaya between different clans, can it?

Also, didn't JC mention a possibility of exploring one of Pandora moons?

• Like 1

Well, it would unrealistic to expect that humans wouldn't return because no country that ahs to leave their colonies ever go away without return. But that's just one way they can go with the story. The other is inter-Na'vi politics. It can't be all Kumbaya between different clans, can it?

Also, didn't JC mention a possibility of exploring one of Pandora moons?

I'm sure Na'vis will stumble on something under the ocean, an artefact like a Stargate or something even more mythical (like "Intra-terrestrials" creators) so fascinating that will turn their world and their beliefs upside down disrupting their harmony like the Apple in the Eden garden.

Edited by dashrendar44

I know one thing. People claimed that ST09 was so incredibly loved that STiD would have a huuuuuge jump. It decreased despite 3D and inflation. People also claim that Avatar wasn't that much liked and it's already forgotten. Time will tell if they'll be right this time.

yep I was really wrong about stid I guess I was blinded by my jj fanboyism

I'm torn: betting against Cameron at this point seems like a bad idea, but Avatar feels like a phenomenon of a certain time and place, much like Titanic. Because it was so massive initially it still has a big lingering fanbase, but I also get the sense a lot of people looking back a few years later are wondering how it ever got to be popular at all and it's one of those "you had to be there" pop culture things that can't really be recreated. Of course, something else can come along and be a supernova of popularity, but lightning's not going to strike twice revisiting the same world over again. So I would actually feel more confident about the box office of Cameron movie that was an entirely different project, as opposed to an Avatar sequel, but with Cameron you should never say never, so I just don't know.

• Like 1

I'm torn: betting against Cameron at this point seems like a bad idea, but Avatar feels like a phenomenon of a certain time and place, much like Titanic. Because it was so massive initially it still has a big lingering fanbase, but I also get the sense a lot of people looking back a few years later are wondering how it ever got to be popular at all and it's one of those "you had to be there" pop culture things that can't really be recreated. Of course, something else can come along and be a supernova of popularity, but lightning's not going to strike twice revisiting the same world over again. So I would actually feel more confident about the box office of Cameron movie that was an entirely different project, as opposed to an Avatar sequel, but with Cameron you should never say never, so I just don't know.

I'm certain there's gonna be a sizeable drop in attendance for the sequels. Despite it's huge bo I don't get the feeling that Avatar is anything like a long lasting cultural phenomenon that say SW was, or even something like the Matrix. To be honest, I think it's largely forgotten save a few internet die hards. But yeah, it's James f*ken Cameron, so only a fool would bet against him.

I'm torn: betting against Cameron at this point seems like a bad idea, but Avatar feels like a phenomenon of a certain time and place, much like Titanic.

All phenomena are connected to time and place. It's never just a movie itself but many invisible factors. For exmaple, who could forsee that blue Na'vi would stike a chord with Hindus whose Gods are blue  and that their forced relocation would stike a chord with Chinese people who were forced to leave the country side and move to the cities?

OTOH, I think that Cameron, unlike Lucas and PJ, has a good sense of what's current so sequels won't feel like they were made in 2009. At least I hope he retained the eye and ear for keeping in touch with audiences. T2 didn't feel like it was made in 80s although Temrinator was from 80s and had all hallmarks of that era. It was current. Aliens didn't feel like it was made in 70s although it was a sequel to Alien. Again, Cameorn's knack for keeping up with current tastes, trends,etc reveals itself. Titanic did a greta job in updating melodrama so it didn't feel like it was made in 50s and 60s although it kept everything that made those movies so popular. OTOH, The Prequels felt like they were made for 70s era and TH feels like it was made beginning of the aughts. Technology has nothing to do with it, it's just outdated everything.

• Like 2

I feel like betting against Avatar 2 would be unwise. It should have everything it takes to be locked as a big success. However Avatar 3 and 4? We'll see how Avatar 2 is received, but it might not be too dumb to bet against those. Particularly the fourth. 

All phenomena are connected to time and place. It's never just a movie itself but many invisible factors. For exmaple, who could forsee that blue Na'vi would stike a chord with Hindus whose Gods are blue  and that their forced relocation would stike a chord with Chinese people who were forced to leave the country side and move to the cities?

OTOH, I think that Cameron, unlike Lucas and PJ, has a good sense of what's current so sequels won't feel like they were made in 2009. At least I hope he retained the eye and ear for keeping in touch with audiences. T2 didn't feel like it was made in 80s although Temrinator was from 80s and had all hallmarks of that era. It was current. Aliens didn't feel like it was made in 70s although it was a sequel to Alien. Again, Cameorn's knack for keeping up with current tastes, trends,etc reveals itself. Titanic did a greta job in updating melodrama so it didn't feel like it was made in 50s and 60s although it kept everything that made those movies so popular. OTOH, The Prequels felt like they were made for 70s era and TH feels like it was made beginning of the aughts. Technology has nothing to do with it, it's just outdated everything.

Yep. Cameron retains the effectiveness and earnestness of old school powerful storytelling but is never out of touch with his modern era like Spielberg to feel outdated because he is constantly pushing the envelope as he goes forward.

Whereas Lucas is a man stuck in 70's mode, more and more adrift from modern audience who only crave his movies for a bottle of nostalgia.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Yep. Cameron retains the effectiveness and earnestness of old school powerful storytelling but is never out of touch with his modern era like Spielberg to feel outdated because he is constantly pushing the envelope.

I think that,contrary to popular belief, he isn't someone who thinks he knows everything and shouldn't keep learning. And there's a lot of evidence that he's very supportive of his peers and wants them to succeed because good competition creates quality. I'm telling you that The Prequels would turn much different if there was competition during those 20 or so years of TP gestation that would challenge Lucas to come up with something worth putting on the screen.

That Bballman is why I feel Avengers 2 will be outclasses, outranked, and surely beaten in everyway when Juggernaut  roars

in 2015-2016.. Consider Avatar out sold out muscled Avengers from quality to merchandising and on home video, you

can bet your bottom dollar that Avatar is going to go the route of Lord of the Rings and the films increase domestically and OS.

Quality? TA has higher ratings from critics and audiences.

Merchandise? I must have missed all the thousands of kids with Avatar lunchboxes and t-shirts. :)

Home Video? I'll give you this one, though Avatar had the advantage of being released before the DVD/Bluray bubble burst. It wouldn't shift anywhere near as many copies now.

A2 can fall in attendance much more than TA2 because it's a cultural phenomenon whose time has probably passed, much like ET or JP (and unlike SW, which has maintained its cultural status even with the "disappointing" prequels). The sequels will be huge box office hits, but they won't be phenomenons on the same scale, at least domestically.