Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

OS this series will be a monster. Domestically, other than the OW of Avatar 2, I don't see ginormous numbers or even super long legs for these films. The 3D thing is played out and that was Avatar's biggest selling point. It hit at just the right moment in time and I do not see that phenomenon repeating itself. If any of the films have a shot at 500m+ it's Avatar 2. Otherwise they'll just have to be ecstatic with the OS numbers, while the domestic numbers will merely make the budget back on numbers 3 and 4.

Cameron could prove me wrong(and it wouldn't be the first time), but as I've said before, you can manufacture blockbusters(300m-450m), but you can't manufacture phenomenons(500m+).

Cameron could prove me wrong(and it wouldn't be the first time), but as I've said before, you can manufacture blockbusters(300m-450m), but you can't manufacture phenomenons(500m+).

Churning out a juggernaut like Titanic then Avatar, I think he just proved he could. Just like Spielberg with Jaws and ET.

Edited by dashrendar44

I think this is a point worth making:

You know what actually does deserve an essay? How AVATAR, the most successful film in history, has left nary a blip on pop-culture

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/08/05/avatar_sequels_three_no_one_cares_here_s_why.html

Titanic is a different beast, that was an impactful film that people still remember. But Avatar just wasn't.

• Like 2

You know what actually does deserve an essay? How AVATAR, the most successful film in history, has left nary a blip on pop-culture

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/08/05/avatar_sequels_three_no_one_cares_here_s_why.html

Titanic is a different beast, that was an impactful film that people still remember. But Avatar just wasn't.

Does he mean "pop culture" like spurting out stupid memes, tumblr fangirls shit, YOLO, LMFAO/Gangnam Style/Harlem Shake shitty parody, LolCats gifs and lame cosplays?

I think Avatar impact is "2,7 billions of dollars worldwide, bitch".

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Does he mean "pop culture" like spurting out stupid memes, tumblr fangirls shit, YOLO, LMFAO/Gangnam Style/Harlem Shake shitty parody, LolCats gifs and lame cosplays? I think Avatar impact is "2,7 billions of dollars worldwide, bitch".

OK, quote something, tell me the names of the main characters without looking them up.

It really is quite amazing how swiftly Avatar went from "cultural event" to "forgotten" and "punchline".  I'm not really a fan of The Avengers but I see no way in hell how that one could end up walking down Avatar's lonely road. Objectively, I can certainly say it succeeded as a superhero film on all cylinders.  I fucking love The Dark Knight and Lord of the Rings though!

Edited by Shpongle

Yeah, I'm sure coin > content means a lot to some people.

Meh. It's a box office forum. Not like my top ten movies of the last ten years had any real poop culture impact.Even though I like to tell myself that "I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE" is the most important line of dialogue of the part decade.

Yeah, there was no content, that's why some asian population used Avatar as a symbol of their fight against chinese executives that try to deprive them of their lands.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/malcolmmoore/100021328/the-chinese-see-a-message-in-avatar/

That's why some palestinian people identified their cause with Na'vis one using the movie as a way to impact people.

That's why some amazonian tribes felt it was the metaphorical story of their mere existence as well.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/spout/avatar_sequels_could_be_less_violent_influenced_by_south_american_tribe

Yeah no content, no impact on anyone's popular culture.

Please, cut your crap.

But keep trying. Make my day.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1