Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Other than it being a flashy feast of eye candy Avatar was a fairly bland movie full of really bad tropes.

You know that this description could be applied to and fits many of the biggest hits of all time, right? The Avengers and Star Wars both come to mind: visual feasts in which the plot consisted of storytelling tropes and archetypes as old as time. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.   Audiences love those familiar, comfy tropes...that's why they have survived for so long...

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 2

Really? Just like everyone saw Titanic because of Leo (or because of the special effects...or because of the hype...)?

Funny, whenever Cameron does what he does so well, some people don't want to admit that maybe, just maybe, lots of people saw his films just because the product was solid...it's always curiousity, Leo, shiny colors, 3D, hype, whatever...never the film itself... :)

Coch, I'm one of the film's biggest fans here, but I'm not going to pretend that everyone who saw the film fell deeply in love with it. The curiosity factor was a big reason for why it made so much, and it's just a reality that it won't be the case with any sequels. There's plenty of evidence with other franchises to back that assertion up.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

I don't know what you mean? You assume VIII (I guess that is what movie you mean) is opening in December and there has been no indication.

Yes, it's pretty obvious they were assuming that. You're very anal neo.  :rolleyes:

Disney has said they want a Star Wars movie releasing every year, and given that the first two have been scheduled for the same date in December, I don't think it's very far-fetched to think that the third (episode VIII) will be December too.

Yes, it's pretty obvious they were assuming that. You're very anal neo.  :rolleyes:

Disney has said they want a Star Wars movie releasing every year, and given that the first two have been scheduled for the same date in December, I don't think it's very far-fetched to think that the third (episode VIII) will be December too.

No, I wasn't. Its pretty obvious you are assuming that it will be released in December. There has been no indication to show it will be released in December. If it is fine, if not its fine as well.

Hunt and you are the same in the way you post and follow me like lost puppies. lol

You know that this description could be applied to and fits many of the biggest hits of all time, right? The Avengers and Star Wars both come to mind: visual feasts in which the plot consisted of storytelling tropes and archetypes as old as time. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.   Audiences love those familiar, comfy tropes...that's why they have survived for so long...

Right, I would contend though that the trope was the base of any said character and both examples craft a solid character around that.

Avatar doesn't have characters that really grab you, they are simply the trope and it's transparent to the point of being embarrassing.

I, and others, do contend and rightfully so, that Avatar was marketed and sold on it's visual concept. It delivered on that, but that is why it made the money it did. I never spoke to anyone in the months during or after it's initial release that focused on the characters, it was always about what was happening around or to them in any given scene via the 3-D. So, yes, it can and did make it's $2B on being eye candy...and that's alright...for that film, cause it was marketed as such.

At present we are supposed to believe there is a wide enough interest in the poorly written characters that will alone cause people to show up for Avatar 2. I'm not seeing that. 

• Like 1

The assumption that VIII would be a December release was the whole basis for our little debate, was it not? My thoughts are if Avatar 2 does come out in December 2017, Star Wars will not.

Was your assumption. As of now it is December 2017 for Avatar 2 so I guess SW (never was) won't be coming out in December.

At present we are supposed to believe there is a wide enough interest in the poorly written characters that will alone cause people to show up for Avatar 2. I'm not seeing that. 

It'll be sold on returning to that world. Which will be enough for the second. The third and fourth, on the other hand? We'll see...

• Like 1