Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

12 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

This is one of the reasons I hate this movie.  Super stupid simplistic black and white movie that makes super stupid simplistic people think they're smart and educated.  James Cameron is laughing at you guys.

Come on TFA, hurry up stomp this schlock already.

qrmH79u.jpgFeXnzA3.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Themes_in_Avatar

Who is this patriot and why is he so angry?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kalel009Shel said:

True but some of our friends here it's morning for them.  I actually just got up lol.  It's 211 actually in zero big apple.  Rem we got friends from Cali,  China, sk who post etc

Still thinking 1.8 to 1.9b force awakens.  Baumerfett and Jedi's praying it can hold the Prince spot. Lol it won't. 

This will cross 2B WW. If you think otherwise, you are fooling yourself. 

4 hours ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

AVATAR was anti-corporate and anti-colonial, not anti- any particular county. 

People should open their history books.

Cameron talked about it and it s pretty obvious.

Go back to the first tribes of Homo Sapiens and see how history unfolded from there.

Colonialism is just is weird "NEW" word to describe a fact of life that has always existed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ShouldIBeHere said:

I just cannot see this coming close to the hype and BO phenomenon of the first one.

Maybe if it will look like no other movie has looked before... But I don't see that perfect storm happening for this again. I am really not sure the GA needs a franchise of this ....but what do I know.

Where was this so called hype of the first one in the first place? That mega massive giant monstrous 77m OW?

You dont measure A2 your typical way of measuring a sequel. Yes every studio treats hype as the most precious thing for sequels because a big OW ensures the financial success, but not with Cameron. Cameron made hype his bitch by making two highest grossing films of all time with little help from hype. His works told us this, from two different eras, and yet seems people haven't learned yet.

Note I'm not saying A2 will increase from 1. Actually my range for that is 600m-650m with the small possibility of beating A1. My point is on predicting A2, hype is not sth you should value TOO much. It's of cause a factor, but not as nearly important as it means for other bug-budget sequels.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

qrmH79u.jpgFeXnzA3.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Themes_in_Avatar

Who is this patriot and why is he so angry?

Even as a Avatar fan and having read all those weird comments about it these years, I'm still having a WTF face reading that wiki page.

Maybe it's better to keep a simple mind and enjoy a movie simply for what it is.

Funny thing is that  Avatar captured my imagination like no other (not even Star Wars), and it took me to another world, not only due to its stunning visuals but due to the amazing action and the heartbreaking love story between Jake and Neytiri. I cannot wait to get lost in this universe again...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Funny thing is that  Avatar captured my imagination like no other (not even Star Wars), and it took me to another world, not only due to its stunning visuals but due to the amazing action and the heartbreaking love story between Jake and Neytiri. I cannot wait to get lost in this universe again...

Thanks to James Cameron I could travel to Pandora in just a 10 minute car journey.

16 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Going from planet to planet in Star Wars just feels like changing sets/scenery. You don't really develop an emotional connection with any one place. Pandora was a living, breathing world with every little detail building on the next. It drew you in and made you not want to leave. The astro nut in me particularly appreciates the work Cameron spent making sure all the interactions of the complex planetary system Pandora was in were scientifically accurate.  Lucas deserves credit for the vast universe he created, but none of the environments were ever as captivating as Pandora to me. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Going from planet to planet in Star Wars just feels like changing sets/scenery. You don't really develop an emotional connection with any one place. Pandora was a living, breathing world with every little detail building on the next. It drew you in and made you not want to leave. [...] Lucas deserves credit for the vast universe he created, but none of the environments were ever as captivating as Pandora to me. 

...and to be fair, I don't think that was ever Star Wars' intentions anyway. Both films are extraordinary in their own ways, but before TFA, I never watched any SW sequel or prequel. Avatar, on the other hand, has me panting in anticipation for the next chapter; Pandora will always be the sci fi movie world that I want to go back to again and again and again.

Edited by Cochofles

7 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Kal, English is not my first language but sometimes I really find it hard to understand your post.

To be honest, I don't think being a native English speaker is going to help you any there. I suspect most of us have no clue what Kal is saying half the time.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, ShouldIBeHere said:

I just cannot see this coming close to the hype and BO phenomenon of the first one.

Maybe if it will look like no other movie has looked before... But I don't see that perfect storm happening for this again. I am really not sure the GA needs a franchise of this ....but what do I know.

No you don't want it too like many a Jedi fanboy here.  In the end it will anyway like titanic and avatar before it.  Cameron puts it out.  The world comes. Fact

8 hours ago, vc2002 said:

Where was this so called hype of the first one in the first place? That mega massive giant monstrous 77m OW?

You dont measure A2 your typical way of measuring a sequel. Yes every studio treats hype as the most precious thing for sequels because a big OW ensures the financial success, but not with Cameron. Cameron made hype his bitch by making two highest grossing films of all time with little help from hype. His works told us this, from two different eras, and yet seems people haven't learned yet.

Note I'm not saying A2 will increase from 1. Actually my range for that is 600m-650m with the small possibility of beating A1. My point is on predicting A2, hype is not sth you should value TOO much. It's of cause a factor, but not as nearly important as it means for other bug-budget sequels.

It is not that people have not learned, I actually agree with you on the hype. That is why I added "box office phenomenon".

Hype was still there, the special thing was that it did not really build up until after it was released. But then it kicked in full swing.

And that is what I have a hard time seeing happening again... I assume the hype will be much bigger this time around before the release (obviously) but will the movie deliver for it to make A1 or SW numbers? Really unsure about that one. I am sure the sequels will be huge... but I could easily see them decreasing from movie to movie.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere