Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

The funniest thing to me is that the biggest purveyors of the "AVATAR SUCKS BECAUSE IT'S UNORIGINAL AND DERIVATIVE AND IT'S ONLY ABOUT SPECTACLE AND SPECIAL EFFECTS!!" notion are huge fans and defenders of the Star Wars and Marvel franchises. Yep...those indie, special-effects-free bastions of originality, creativity, and character-driven unpredictability. :) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

The funniest thing to me is that the biggest purveyors of the "AVATAR SUCKS BECAUSE IT'S UNORIGINAL AND DERIVATIVE AND IT'S ONLY ABOUT SPECTACLE AND SPECIAL EFFECTS!!" notion are huge fans and defenders of the Star Wars and Marvel franchises. Yep...those indie, special-effects-free bastions of originality, creativity, and character-driven unpredictability. :) 

a.k.a reddit

21 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

How many of the billions of people you interviewed told you that?

Because I went to see the film 5 times while in theatres BECAUSE of the characters and their story. So that alone proves that your assessment is inaccurate.

No matter how much you tell yourself otherwise, if audiences don't care about what happens to the characters in any story, no amount of nostalgia, glowing fauna, or 3D will matter.

I know that "it was only the 3D/the nostalgia" is the stupid rationalizations that internet trolls tend to make to belittle the success of Avatar and TFA, and it's become a troll mantra now, but that's not how real people in the real world connect to stories and tales. The essence of any story is the characters, and yes, that includes films like Transformers, which detractors love to bash with "clever" assertions like "It was only a plotless collection of explosions".

If you really, truly believe that films like AVATAR, TFA, and TRANSFORMESR make the movie they make because of technical stuff, you are deluding yourself.

Okay, I'll give to you that you make a fin point in bold there, but please, don't call me a troll. I have certainly never been a troll on this site, and if I believe that Avatar made the money it did (not all of its money came from the effects as it still would have been a Billion dollar+ movie regardless) from its breakthrough in visuals than that could just be a flaw in my box office knowledge. But it certainly doesn't mean that I'm trolling or anything of the sort.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Yeah the "unoriginal" argument against Avatar has always been extremely tired. We can shoot down all kinds of films using that. If you're gonna hate on the film, come up with a better reason. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Kudos to @kayumanggi for being the only person actually posting A2-related news in this thread. :lol:

false, the Avatar twitter gives early concept art from the original film and the game.

http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Lionberry

They didn't mention wether it will be in Avatar 2, maybe it will.

Here are some early Na'Vi concept art.

CYPJ_D8UAAAEkwu.jpg

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

false, the Avatar twitter gives early concept art from the original film and the game.

http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Lionberry

They didn't mention wether it will be in Avatar 2, maybe it will.

Here are some early Na'Vi concept art.

CYPJ_D8UAAAEkwu.jpg

Good lord. They kind of look like The Cowardly Lion and one of the cats from the broadway show Cats had a baby. Talk about good call to nix that design. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I haven't actually seen the first avatar is over 3 years :/ may watch it next Friday after exams are over :)

Word of advice, try watching Avatar before the exams as it intelectually stimulates you and gets your brain waves surging thus improving academic performance.

seriously tho gl with exams :>

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

Okay, I'll give to you that you make a fin point in bold there, but please, don't call me a troll. I have certainly never been a troll on this site, and if I believe that Avatar made the money it did (not all of its money came from the effects as it still would have been a Billion dollar+ movie regardless) from its breakthrough in visuals than that could just be a flaw in my box office knowledge. But it certainly doesn't mean that I'm trolling or anything of the sort.

Duly noted.

I apologize; it won't happen again.

16 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Duly noted.

I apologize; it won't happen again.

I'll also make sure I have backup evidence before I post anything related to box office :) (instead of just sort of shooting off lol)

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Word of advice, try watching Avatar before the exams as it intelectually stimulates you and gets your brain waves surging thus improving academic performance.

seriously tho gl with exams :>

Say I did this, would you recommend before an English or a physics exam?

On 1/14/2016 at 9:08 AM, kayumanggi said:

I agree. But what I would like to know is if that is possible for a movie spanning 4 films of such a massive scale. I just can't see it being like POTTER where almost everything happens at Hogwarts.

LOTR and Harry Potter had years of extremely popular books backing up their "universe". Avatar has one movie and a lot of blowhards.

The only limitation to any film's scale is the writer's imagination. Detractors may only see the movie as evidence to their claims, but fans know of the incredibly rich mythology and world-building that Cameron did for this movie. He and his team came up with an actual structurally sound, linguistically feasible language for the Na'vi, a complex set of political and sociological frameworks, and of course, a rich, diverse ecosystem based of real biological minutiae. He knows the Navi well, and he has a bible full of all of the Na'vi world's particularities.  If you think that Cameron left it to chance, you don't know Cameron. Trust me, this universe is rich enough for 4 movies. Just because he hasn't released 7 books worth of Navi lore doesn't mean that he didn't do his homework.

• Like 2