Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

5 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

What's your predictions tele and Andy? 

No clue yet... I'll wait until I know a little more about it.

However... I don't see how JC can duplicate the magic of the 1st one.  

I think it'll decrease... at least DOM.

7 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

What's your predictions tele and Andy? 

I find it pointless to make a prediction before a movie goes into production, or even early in production. When we actually have a confirmed release date, when we actually see either footage or official photos, then I'll pull a number outta my ass. :) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I find it pointless to make a prediction before a movie goes into production, or even early in production. When we actually have a confirmed release date, when we actually see either footage or official photos, then I'll pull a number outta my ass. :) 

Lol.  Release date is Dec 25, 2017 guys. And just 5-6hrs ago they announced shooting starts between now and feb

6 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

No clue yet... I'll wait until I know a little more about it.

However... I don't see how JC can duplicate the magic of the 1st one.  

I think it'll decrease... at least DOM.

Andy... He's done it already. Titanic and now avatar... Never doubt the only guy in history who pulled off back to back all time world breakers and this man coincedentally also has the  biggest major BBC sequel jump. 

Terminator to terminator II. Note:Terminator II and aliens are widely heralded as the greatest sequels of all-time.

If Avatar II is his new terminator II... Then there won't be a decrease domestically or os.  All time headlines for the domestic and.os are very very likely. 

3 hours ago, rustyspoons89 said:

Every time I bring up the fact that Avatar is having sequels, people always respond with "REALLY? Why!?"  From those I've spoken to it's pretty unanimous that a sequel is completely unnecessary. Of course opinions may be different outside my relatively small sample group. 

It's indefintely more necessary than every reboot or sequel in the last 6 years but I bet they saw a bunch of them. Classic redditor mentality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kalel009Shel said:

"James Cameron's success as a director can be traced back to his very first mega blockbuster hit movie "The Titanic." Cameron ever since then has directed several films that delved into different categories, especially when he directed the very unique "Avatar"."

What.

I have learned NEVER to bet against James Cameron. Ever. The man is a box office genius. That being said, I don't see Avatar 2 being as big as the first in America. It will expand massively in China, though. Probably $450M in China. I mean the first did $200M. Surely the second can expand upon that given a bigger market.

I also think it's going to do awesome in general. I think the floor for Avatar 2 worldwide is probably $2B. I mean why wouldn't it be? And if it does even that floor, it's incredible. I just think in North America it's looking at more like $600M. That would still be an incredible gross.

I know some people are all gung-ho about it being a $1B US grosser, but some of you guys think BvS is going to be a massive hit too and I don't know anyone else who thinks that. I think there are some people here who let their enthusiasm get the better of their predictions. 

Still, I will be curious to see what Cameron cooks up. Can you say highest grossing 4 movies in history? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I have learned NEVER to bet against James Cameron. Ever. The man is a box office genius. That being said, I don't see Avatar 2 being as big as the first in America. It will expand massively in China, though. Probably $450M in China. I mean the first did $200M. Surely the second can expand upon that given a bigger market.

I also think it's going to do awesome in general. I think the floor for Avatar 2 worldwide is probably $2B. I mean why wouldn't it be? And if it does even that floor, it's incredible. I just think in North America it's looking at more like $600M. That would still be an incredible gross.

I know some people are all gung-ho about it being a $1B US grosser, but some of you guys think BvS is going to be a massive hit too and I don't know anyone else who thinks that. I think there are some people here who let their enthusiasm get the better of their predictions. 

Still, I will be curious to see what Cameron cooks up. Can you say highest grossing 4 movies in history? 

I can't say that, I can say the 5 highest grossing films of all time that changed cinema forever

wMlwp3NimzfQgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Well Jimbo, I hope you get everything you want. I hope the Avatar sequels are amazing. Just as amazing as Terminator 2. :)

I know how it is to be a fan and there is room in this world for MANY franchises to be massive successes. Let's hope Cameron gives us something incredible yet again. The man is a genius, for sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

I think China will expand tremendously.  It's probably a fair bet to think its gross compared to the original will grow with China's total market growth, and it may be the first big North American blockbuster to gross more in a foreign market than it does in the USA.  $600M in both China and the USA would be a massive achievement.

From there, it's largely a question of exchange rates.  If the US dollar stays strong (and getting stronger) it will devour a lot of the gross potential Avatar 2 has compared to its predecessor.  30%-35% as it stands now.

I could see a situation where growth in China is offset by XR contraction in the rest of the world and it lands in the mid to high $2B range again.

It probably won't hit $1B domestic.  TFA won't even get there, and it's going to land in the Top 10 all time adjusted for inlation.  Very few movies climb this high, and I think it's likely that the Avatar sequels don't gross as much as the original in most Western markets, where much of its mass appeal came from the tremendous breakthrough it made in 3D technology.  (Though Cameron is a dynamo, and may have something else up his sleeve that matches 3D's "must-see" impact for the first film.)

Too many people here discount this franchise.  It's a timeless, accessible story, that was extremely well done.  I know it's Pocahontas in space, but The Lion King was a dumbed-down Hamlet with Lions.  Star Wars borrows from a ton of sources (including itself).  This recycling of narratives isn't a problem if A.) the film is well made and B.) the characters are likeable and interesting.  That statement qualifies for Avatar, TFA, and the Lion King.  Voila!  Massive blockbusters are born.

Edited by LinksterAC
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Lol kp tracks China's bo

I think he's the best one to know how big Avatar  is there. 

Maybe you missed the news of a major mountain named after the film.  Or a theme park going up in China.  It will do 600-800plus range easily. Lol. Please check pages on Kps post before posting. He posts from numbers not just a fan perspective.. 

I get it.  You're one of those guys who likes to annoy people.  Duly noted and logged for all our future interactions. 

9 hours ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Andy... He's done it already. Titanic and now avatar... Never doubt the only guy in history who pulled off back to back all time world breakers and this man coincedentally also has the  biggest major BBC sequel jump. 

Terminator to terminator II. Note:Terminator II and aliens are widely heralded as the greatest sequels of all-time.

If Avatar II is his new terminator II... Then there won't be a decrease domestically or os.  All time headlines for the domestic and.os are very very likely. 

You do realize that T1's gross was really low, right?

3 minutes ago, bapi said:

Looks like it's clear now Avatar II won't be ready for Xmas '17...

yeah with that Disney announcement, I would go with that thought too.  Otherwise, I don't think they would have announced what they did

• Like 1