Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 hours ago, nilephelan said:

He is an artist with more to offer the world than having the last 30 years of his career be only this.  I think he could have been churning out a ton of iconic and great films.  

Is it what he wants to do?  Doesn't look like it and obviously that is his choice, but this is the guy who gave us The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Terminator 2, True Lies and Titanic over a 13 year period.  Then in the following 30 years he does Avatar..... and that is it.  

His choice, but sad that he could have easily directed another 10 films in different genres, and given his talent you likely get 7 or 8 ridiculously iconic films. 

Ah, ok, you know absolutely nothing about the guy.

Do you know why he made Titanic for example ?

Probably bot.

4 hours ago, nilephelan said:

You can't have grown up in that era and not known why he made Titanic.  

I think Futurists point is that you have not once mentioned his love of exploring, which is a massive reason he has directed only 7 films. I know you said you know this! However the only reason Cameron directed Titanic was because the studio agreed to fund his deep sea dive to explore the wreckage of the ship. If they didn't let him go exploring, there would have never have been a new highest grossing film of all time in 1997.

After he directed Avatar he built and designed his own diver pod with a team he picked himself. He funded the whole thing then piloted the damn thing to the deepest point in the ocean. Jim is the only person to see the ocean floors deepest point with his own eyes. The french divers who dived there before him had worse equipment and couldn't see the floor because of dust from colliding with the surface.

Sadly for the fans, Jim loves exploring more than film making. He also is now largely invested into trying to stop global warming with various documentries and is also doing philanthropy work, like providing water for all.

Avatar is the perfect film for Jim at this point of his life, he wants to show the world his love for exploration by producing a visually gorgeous adventure in his already rich and imaginative world. Avatar 2 will also have an underlying or perhaps blatant enviromental message, which at this point he probably sees as his duty to perform.

Edited by IronJimbo
font size error!
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone here said Jim owes us anything. Just as a filmfan in general and his fan in particular it is a little sad how long it takes these days for a new James Cameron movie to hit theaters. We want to see more!!!! Yes, it's ultimately a selfish reason but can you blame us?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dignam said:

Earth like planet was probably found, orbiting proxima centauri, also known as alpha centauri c. The same solar system where pandora exists:excited:

http://www.rappler.com/science-nature/earth-space/142889-scientists-unveil-new-earth-like-planet

So Avatar 2's viral marketing has started.

(Or Cameron knew back then that Pandora would be discovered so he just made Avatar movies to finance his future expedition over there. The long pre-production is actually a NASA partnership cover-up to find a way to put his ass in cryo and bring him over there alive to become Toruk Makto for life)

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

So Avatar 2's viral marketing has started.

(Or Cameron knew back then that Pandora would be discovered so he just made Avatar movies to finance his future expedition over there. The long pre-production is actually a NASA partnership cover-up to find a way to put his ass in cryo and bring him over there alive to become Toruk Makto for life)

The latter is more likely.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

Cameron doesn't owe us anything. The guy has already earned twice his throne in Valhalla against all odds leaving the mediocre wannabes wallowing in the dust of the wasteland called Hollywood.

Dive eternal, shiny and chrome, Iron Jim the Abyss Warrior.

Um, actually you kinda do owe people something when you say you're making a movie back in 2010 and set the date as 2014/2015. Fans have every right to be annoyed we might not see the first sequel until we're in a new decade. If you wanna take your sweet ass time, stop announcing dates. Hell, don't announce the film at all. These movies shouldn't have even been announced officially until very very recently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Um, actually you kinda do owe people something when you say you're making a movie back in 2010 and set the date as 2014/2015. Fans have every right to be annoyed we might not see the first sequel until we're in a new decade. If you wanna take your sweet ass time, stop announcing dates. Hell, don't announce the film at all. These movies shouldn't have even been announced officially until very very recently. 

It's been four years since Frank Ocean's album. Do I think he owes me the next? NOOOOOOOOOOO.

Just now, Tele the Jet Baller said:

No, you don't. :lol: These aren't contracts.

So stop announcing them to the world decades out then. Any other director would get dragged through the mud for announcing they're working on big awaited films so far out from when they're actually finished. Cameron doesn't get a free pass. People can be annoyed about it if they want and have every right to be. I highly doubt Cameron was forced into telling the world when his next film would be coming.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

So stop announcing them to the world decades out then. Any other director would get dragged through the mud for announcing they're working on big awaited films so far out from when they're actually finished. Cameron doesn't get a free pass. People can be annoyed about it if they want and have every right to be. I highly doubt Cameron was forced into telling the world when his next film would be coming.

Who cares?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RichWS said:

It's been four years since Frank Ocean's album. Do I think he owes me the next? NOOOOOOOOOOO.

Frank Ocean didn't tell us 4 years ago,"hey guys working on the new album, out by 2014 at the latest!" See the difference? You do in fact owe your fans when you make statements like that or don't make them. 

Edited by MovieMan89

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Frank Ocean didn't tell us 4 years ago,"hey guys working on the new album, out by 2014 at the latest!" See the difference? You do in fact owe your fans when you make statements like that or don't make them. 

There have been MANY release date teases in the last two years with Ocean. Don't get so caught up in them. This "I'm owed this because I thought it would be out by now!" mentality is fascinating and stupid to me.  

Edited by RichWS
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

There have been MANY release date teases in the last two years with Ocean. Don't get so caught up in them. This "I'm owed this because I thought it would be out by now!" mentality is fascinating and stupid to me.  

Jim made it sound like he was actively working on these films as far back as 2011 though, which  was a lie. If anything he was just in the very early brainstorming stage. It doesn't bother me that the release date keeps getting moved back, but I think people who are bothered have a valid reason to be. Cameron really needs to stop making it sound like he's actively working on something and expect it by x date for sure, when in reality he's just going to take his time and probably get around to it 3-5 years later than he says. So he should just be honest about that from here out.