Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

So stop announcing them to the world decades out then. Any other director would get dragged through the mud for announcing they're working on big awaited films so far out from when they're actually finished. Cameron doesn't get a free pass. People can be annoyed about it if they want and have every right to be. I highly doubt Cameron was forced into telling the world when his next film would be coming.

But I thought the whole world didn't care about Avatar sequels? That's what the internet told me for 7 years.

The sense of entitlement in your posts, geez...Cameron said he was planning sequels and going to shoot them back to back so he takes his time to get them done. Now that's a fact. So what's the matter? Why are you so pressed? That he didn't announce a release date set in stone for each one before even shooting the actual movies to please YOU...Who do you think he is? A studio exec that answers to shareholders quaterly? Unless you're a Fox shareholder or a chinese investor, that is none of your business, he doesn't owe you anything.

Edited by dashrendar44

21 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

So stop announcing them to the world decades out then. Any other director would get dragged through the mud for announcing they're working on big awaited films so far out from when they're actually finished. Cameron doesn't get a free pass. People can be annoyed about it if they want and have every right to be. I highly doubt Cameron was forced into telling the world when his next film would be coming.

Sure he does. He's made enough iconic films to earn himself one. Hate to break it to you, but special people get special treatment. Also, I think you're confusing what you want with what you're owed, 'cause JC doesn't owe you diddly.

• Like 1

Cameron changed the game, period.

When he called ILM in 1988, they didn't have a CGI team/Department.

Dennis Murren was still doing optical effects.

They had the crazy guys of Pixar who did a bunch of stuff, but the water-pod inThe Abyss is most seminal moment in movie History since the first movie with sound.

And I mean it, I am never ironic with the Creator.

Without Cameron, movie making would have stayed a stagnant and boring art-form as movie making is  a strange & unique mixture of science, engineering, technology and art, all of them : writing, acting, painting, designing, clothing, architecture, music, sound, make-up, etc etc etc

That is how forward thinking the guy is.

He pushed the enveloppe, like he always does.

The Holy Trinity would be Lucas-Lassiter (also Catmull) & Cameron, these 3 men changed everything, they knew what 01101000101000110 meant before the others.

All the other were just mere peasants.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Cameron changed the game, period.

When he called ILM in 1988, they didn't have a CGI team.

This isn't true. They had done some isolated CG in-house ever since the Genesis sequence in WRATH OF KHAN. In fact, it was their work on YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES and WILLOW that convinced Cameron the water tentacle was even remotely possible.

• Like 3

Just now, Tele the Jet Baller said:

This isn't true. They had done some isolated CG in-house ever since the Genesis sequence in WRATH OF KHAN. In fact, it was their work on YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES and WILLOW that convinced Cameron the water tentacle was even remotely possible.

Wrath Of Khan & Young Sherlock were done by Lasseter, & Catmull with Pixar's Rendermann I think.

And Willow's morphing was done with  John Knoll's Photoshop.

And my source is Dennis Murren, ILM didn't have an in house Computer imagery department at the time of The Abyss.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Wrath Of Khan & Young Sherlock were done by Lasseter, & Catmull with Pixar's Rendermann I think.

Pixar was in-house in WOK. In fact, they were basically as close as ILM had to a CG division. They were a part of ILM up through their work on WILLOW, it was only after that they splintered off to formally become Pixar.

Renderman is off-the-shelf software, I'm not sure why you bring that into the equation (and it's "only" a rendering tool). Knoll was an employee of ILM, so I'm not sure why you would single out work done on Photoshop as somehow separate. (I'm sure you know all VFX companies use commercial software as well as their own custom tools.)

ILM didn't have a formal division, but to imply that they did no CG and Cameron was the one who showed them the way isn't true.

• Like 2

Here's some news from Stephen Lang, go to 26:50 in the video as he lays out his upcoming schedule, sounds like principal photography will start very early in 2017. That being said can they meet a Dec 2018 deadline for the first movie?? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Here's some news from Stephen Lang, go to 26:50 in the video as he lays out his upcoming schedule, sounds like principal photography will start very early in 2017. That being said can they meet a Dec 2018 deadline for the first movie?? 

Thanks for digging this up! Slight clarification, it means just that Lang's section of principal photography starts around the new year.

On 14. 8. 2016 at 0:37 AM, The Futurist said:

And my source is Dennis Murren, ILM didn't have an in house Computer imagery department at the time of The Abyss.

Ed Catmull was director of Lucasfilm computer division 1979-1986 (@11:55min)
@12:10 - picture of Lucasfilm Computer Graphics Team 1984

• Like 1