Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

5 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Sure I can - a year is just as arbitrary as 100. Again, your attempt to summarize my position is incorrect and adding information I never once spoke of. 

I never added a function of time to my position (other than one which is arbitrary as all human attempts (bar maybe planck's constant) are). So please, read my posts properly next time. 

Monetary value is the best and most objective system by which to measure worth, I would have thought that a non-controversial position being that we are on a box office theory forum. 

Your position (which I am not going to make any claims of understanding) seems prima facie to be more at home on some kind of communist subjective feelings on films forum. 

Last I checked I was a free market capitalist.

It seems that there may a mutual misunderstanding of what we're referring to when we say "best." I'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The underwater sequences are going to be an interesting point for certain. I know Jim has visited pinewood's pools a couple of times in 2016 so I assume that's where they might be shot. 

The difficulty of course is getting the tech right and not making it seem like they're flying - although that in itself could be a work around, but I'm not going to pretend to know what Jim has in mind. 

One problem I have been thinking about lately is whether we will see extended sequences of spoken Na'vi, as there doesn't seem to be the impetus for them to speak English (as they did in the first). I'd say that JC will just ignore this and go straight ahead with them speaking English without addressing it. That's most likely wrong though, as we both know that Jim isn't one to just overlook a plot point in favor of fantasy, I doubt he'd want to break away from the hard sci-fi either. 

What do you think? 

No chance he we will have sub titles for extended periods of time, this film is trying to make $3b ww, American audiences HATE sub titles.

I guess for this reason it will be Jake viewing the memories so that they can be in English.

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

No chance he we will have sub titles for extended periods of time, this film is trying to make $3b ww, American audiences HATE sub titles.

I guess for this reason it will be Jake viewing the memories so that they can be in English.

Very true. To that point, I wonder if we will see the use of tech to dub the film more realistically for foreign audiences (with mouth movements etc.) it seems like something Jim would want to do if he really wants to push past the gross of the original. 

• Like 1

Very true. To that point, I wonder if we will see the use of tech to dub the film more realistically for foreign audiences (with mouth movements etc.) it seems like something Jim would want to do if he really wants to push past the gross of the original. 

That seems within the realms of possibility, the foreign fans would love that.

I remember watching a video that someone posted on twitter (they probably shouldn't have), of the Camera technology. The Camera had a screen on which shows the virtual avatar world on it but adds the actor it, they could move the trees about the scene using the camera too. It should make shooting the film much easier but my point is if they can do this, they probably can change the mouth movements for each

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That seems within the realms of possibility, the foreign fans would love that.

I remember watching a video that someone posted on twitter (they probably shouldn't have), of the Camera technology. The Camera had a screen on which shows the virtual avatar world on it but adds the actor it, they could move the trees about the scene using the camera too. It should make shooting the film much easier but my point is if they can do this, they probably can change the mouth movements for each

I'd say this is just a logical progression away from a western centrist worldwide box office.

The real problem for Jim is how he gets around the time limit at the Chinese box office. I suspect the T2 3D re-release is some kind of trial run for this, although we will see.  

• Like 1

I'd say this is just a logical progression away from a western centrist worldwide box office.

The real problem for Jim is how he gets around the time limit at the Chinese box office. I suspect the T2 3D re-release is some kind of trial run for this, although we will see.  

He has been to in talks with Chinese politicians actually! As seen as Avatar has an environmental message they love him for it, just wait to see Avatar in Chinese cinema for 6 months, 1b easy.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

He has been to in talks with Chinese politicians actually! As seen as Avatar has an environmental message they love him for it, just wait to see Avatar in Chinese cinema for 6 months, 1b easy.

I'd love to see it have insane legs in China, it'd be hilarious to see it make 1b+ from China. If it did that the amount of jealousy from NA would be insane. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I'd love to see it have insane legs in China, it'd be hilarious to see it make 1b+ from China. If it did that the amount of jealousy from NA would be insane. 

I remember someone on here got really mad when I suggest 1b would come from China before NA. Just a matter of time.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The movie's been in active production since last April.

I get that, but there is little to show for it, so little to actually discuss about it. 

It's a thread filled with pages and pages of nothing buy hyperbole by zealots. I mean that in the nicest way possible. We all have zeal for a project or franchise from time to time but this thread is over the top. 

46 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I'm not even an Avatar or Cameron fan and I think this is a good point - all english films worldwide will probably end up being a relic of the past.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Are you guys happy with your little two-person conversation here? Because you've successfully driven most of the forum away with your refusal to even engage in basic consideration of ideas.

I've openly engaged... 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I've openly engaged... 

With IronJimbo in the biggest fucking circlejerk on this goddamn website. Everyone else stays the fuck away from this thread because of you two

Edited by robertman2
  • Like 1