grim22

Steve Jobs | October 9 limited, expands Oct 16, wide on Oct 23 | Teaser Trailer Page 9

Why do you think it's not applicable? Would be interested in your views

Boyhood was an 160-minute, slower-paced film that showed vignettes of a childhood and was pretty much a study of character evolution over time.

Spotlight is a 2-hour, tightly-placed investigative drama that has been getting comparisons to Argo with regards to style and potential crowdpleasing ability and also draws from the tradition of All The Presidents Men and The Insider and is more about the what and the how instead of the who.

So how are the two films even remotely similar? (Not even going to touch the Birdman/Jobs analogy).

• Like 8

I feel like you could actually make a case for a jobs and birdman comparison as movies though. I'm only basing this on what I've heard about the former since I haven't seen it obviously. the other two though... are movies that exist.

Edited by cooliod1
  • Like 1

Boyhood was an 160-minute, slower-paced film that showed vignettes of a childhood and was pretty much a study of character evolution over time.

Spotlight is a 2-hour, tightly-placed investigative drama that has been getting comparisons to Argo with regards to style and potential crowdpleasing ability and also draws from the tradition of All The Presidents Men and The Insider and is more about the what and the how instead of the who.

So how are the two films even remotely similar? (Not even going to touch the Birdman/Jobs analogy).

Thanks I wasn't referring to the similarities of both movies but their awards circumstances.

Thanks I wasn't referring to the similarities of both movies but their awards circumstances.

But you might as well say that it's simply an award contender... or if you wanted to compare, you could use higher-profile movies about public figures that debuted at Toronto or Telluride in the fall and used that buzz to jump start their award buzz... like THE KING'S SPEECH.

BOYHOOD is still an outlier in terms of release date, how it debuted, box-office gross, etc.

• Like 2

But you might as well say that it's simply an award contender... or if you wanted to compare, you could use higher-profile movies about public figures that debuted at Toronto or Telluride in the fall and used that buzz to jump start their award buzz... like THE KING'S SPEECH.

BOYHOOD is still an outlier in terms of release date, how it debuted, box-office gross, etc.

I used last year because of the similarity of the 2 studios behind both films. IFC and Open Road's lack of Oscar experience, and Fox and Universal with better Oscar experience. So it's not just awards contention but the studios behind them and how that matters in a campaign.

Steve Jobs is already being compared to Birdman by some trades and sites. 

Edited by MinaTakla

Doesn't the nature of the film affect its campaign too? A bigger budgeted biopic on a popular public figure from a previous BD winner will have completely different hooks than an experimental small film by an acclaimed director not nominated for BD previously. 

True, it definitely does. But so is Spotlight which comes from an indie director and small distributor who doesn't have that much of an experience. Like Linkater, McCarthy didn't get so much Oscar attention and Spotlight is his first shot at Oscar glory. And like Innaritu, Boyle was an Oscar nominee (and winner before).

I think quality matters for sure, but also the studio behind it (like to me, the social network was better than King's speech but Weinstein happened so..)

The Birdman/Steve Jobs comparison is almost passable. This also is filmed uniquely and will get a lot of tech noms plus 2-3 acting nods.

The Boyhood/Spotlight comparison has no backing. Boyhood premiered at Sundance with a July 11th release date and was a front runner for most of the season with universal critical acclaim. Spotlight premiered at Telluride and has a Fall release date primed for award season. It has good reception but certainly not BP winning or best of the decade reception. There is nothing similar about the two.

You could compare it to The Theory of Everything, Foxcatcher, The Imitation Game or any fall release over the year before that egregious comparison.

The Birdman/Steve Jobs comparison is almost passable. This also is filmed uniquely and will get a lot of tech noms plus 2-3 acting nods.

The Boyhood/Spotlight comparison has no backing. Boyhood premiered at Sundance with a July 11th release date and was a front runner for most of the season with universal critical acclaim. Spotlight premiered at Telluride and has a Fall release date primed for award season. It has good reception but certainly not BP winning or best of the decade reception. There is nothing similar about the two.

You could compare it to The Theory of Everything, Foxcatcher, The Imitation Game or any fall release over the year before that egregious comparison.

Someone is definitely trying to sow dissent against Spotlight  :lol:

Someone is definitely trying to sow dissent against Spotlight :lol:

I give it a 3/4 which seems consistent with reviews! It is the pundits who are hyping this up because they don't like DOR or Carol. :lol:

My point was Boyhood's campaign was unique and Spotlight's is consistent with fall releases. The comparison was completely nonsensical and I make it my goal to shut down incorrectness.

• Like 1