grim22

Steve Jobs | October 9 limited, expands Oct 16, wide on Oct 23 | Teaser Trailer Page 9

So yeah, the final 5+ minutes kinda sorta feels like Gary Marshall stepped in to ghost-direct, but it's not that over-sentimental and is certainly not badly done. The daughter storyline was a recurring plotline in all three acts, so I guess people got annoyed that it took over the climax of Act III?

Very good movie.

• Like 1

My audience - which was about 20-ish-% full in a 400-seater at 7:00 - seemed conflicted as to whether to clap when the credits rolled. Therefore, I'm assuming that they at least liked it.

Really, though, it's sad that such a great movie is looking at approximately a $7 million wide opening weekend.

So what's the final domestic gross for this? I predict $20 million. It's going to lose screens every weekend, and popular films like Spectre, The Good Dinosaur, and Mockingjay Part 2 are releasing soon.

Probably slightly above 20M. It should have drops between 35-50%.

Probably slightly above 20M. It should have drops between 35-50%.

That's a disaster for a film with a super strong limited release. I was expecting American Sniper numbers, but the box office acts in strange ways. All the Oscar baits are flopping: Steve Jobs, The Walk, Sicario, Black Mass, Bridge of Spies.

That's a disaster for a film with a super strong limited release. I was expecting American Sniper numbers, but the box office acts in strange ways. All the Oscar baits are flopping: Steve Jobs, The Walk, Sicario, Black Mass, Bridge of Spies.

Bridge of Spies is in no way a flop.

Lol, the only thing flopping is this post. 

Sicario is doing incredibly and isn't Oscar bait. Black Mass isn't Oscar bait. The Walk isn't Oscar bait. Bridge of Spies isn't Oscar bait and will have killer legs. So your point is beyond invalid. 

Edited by TStechnij
  • Like 3

Sicario is doing incredibly and isn't Oscar bait. Black Mass isn't Oscar bait. The Walk isn't Oscar bait. Bridge of Spies isn't Oscar bait and will have killer legs. So your point is beyond invalid. 

Bridge of Spies is the definition of Oscar bait. 

Bridge of Spies is the definition of Oscar bait. 

A handsomely made movie by a director who has explored all genres and doesn't care about awards can't be Oscar bait. It can be a huge Oscar player because it is good, but it isn't pandering or prying. 

• Like 1

Agreed. Seems like some people call everything an Oscar bait now that isn't 50% CGI and features some sort of Super-/Jedi-/YA-hero.

So why didn't this open anywhere near TSN numbers? People love Facebook more than Apple? TSN had the "youth factor" going for it that attracted college crowds?

Aside from the bigger hype and better reviews that TSN had it also had a much better hook. It wasn't a Mark Zuckenberg biopic it was "how facebook was created". I know Steve Jobs is also taking place during the launches of several apple products, but the movie looks exactly like Steve Jobs: the man behind the icon.