grim22

Steve Jobs | October 9 limited, expands Oct 16, wide on Oct 23 | Teaser Trailer Page 9

I think it's a bit more glaring because Jobs is a pretty recent figure and a lot of people know exactly what he looks like. Using the PATTON example, it was made 25 years after WWII and I'm betting most weren't that familiar with either his specific looks or voice.

That being said, you're right: there are plenty of amazing performances by actors who didn't resemble their real-life characters. Peter O'Toole as T.E. Lawrence is another example.

I almost used O Toole and Lawrence as an example.

The real life Lawrence was not nearly as handsome as O Toole was.

• Like 2

For this kind of film,Universal is depending on Good reviews and good WOM giving it legs,rather then a huge opening weekend. That is becoming the standard strategy for more serious film in a film world domnated by huge budget sfx Extravanzas .

Although just once I would love to see a film not targeted at the 16 to 30 Male Demo become the years biggest hit.But I am not holding my breath.

Although just once I would love to see a film not targeted at the 16 to 30 Male Demo become the years biggest hit.But I am not holding my breath.

The studios have essentially given up on anything except that demo. Anything not directly targeting 16-30s is now the providence of the specialty divisions or the indies.

• Like 1

European premiere @ London Film Fest tickets secured....Boyle, Fassy, Sorkin and Winslet to attend wooooooo

(anyone that happens to have an AMEX card and wants to go PM me on how to get tix - won't be available for general sale for those with other cards)

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 1

What does that even mean?

It means that while Boyhood was touted as a front runner early on last year it didn't win for multiple reasons, one of which is IFC which is a small distributor and couldn't push it till the end. Open Road is also a small distributor for Spotlight hence my concern.

For Birdman and Steve Jobs, it is that it has good reviews, but mainly a bigger studio behind it. And so far these are the only 2 best reviewed films in the fest circuit.

Why do you think it's not applicable? Would be interested in your views

Boyhood premiered already in spring of 2014, not in the typical oscar-season, like Birdman, Spotlight or Steve Jobs.

Imho this is one of the reasons Boyhood didn't win. They ran out of steam too early.