grim22

Weekend #s on Pg 34. Divergent 56M. Muppets 16.5M. Peabody 11.7M, 302 8.6M, Gods not dead 8.5M

Twilight's opening was actually really frontloaded though, the Friday accounted for 50% of the OW.  I think we've been seeing a trend of stronger Saturdays lately so even with the 5m midnights the range is still pretty big and I think it can still do between 45-75m OW.  

That's some range.

Official 4.9

“Divergent,” the big screen adaptation of Veronica Roth's best-selling novel, debuted to $4.9 million in Thursday late nights screenings, a figure large enough for Lionsgate to greenlight a sequel.

“We're off to a great start with strong numbers from all regions of the country, urban, suburban and rural alike,” Lionsgate Chief Executive Officer Jon Feltheimer said in a statement. ”We're confident that ‘Divergent' is on its way to becoming another important franchise for us, and we have just greenlit the second film, ‘Insurgent.'”

Summit Entertainment's Divergent grossed a strong $4.9 million Thursday night as it began rolling out in North America.

Based on pre-release tracking, box office observers believe the movie could post an opening weekend gross as high as $60 million (Summit is being more conservative and saying $50 million-plus). While neither number would match Summit's Twilight and Lionsgate's The Hunger Games, it will break the curse that has plagued nearly every other YA film adaptation and provide a strong launch for what's a planned franchise.

If it follows Twilight's multiplier it will finish with 49-50M over the weekend. 

I think it will probably do better than that multiplier because Divergent is tracking better with males.  There will be a lot of males in the seats on Saturday and Sunday to help Divergent out - whereas I think the Twilight movies ticket sales were 70% female.

I was expecting more what with so many schools out for Spring Break. 

Still, while it looks like it's in the vein of HG and it's expectations have placed in that bracket it may not be fair to expect it to follow suit.

It may be more north of Percy Jackson but well under Hunger Games. 

I mean, hey it's going to do better than Beautiful Creatures and Mortal Instruments, other pretenders to the YAF throne. 

Satisfied enough to officially greenlight the sequel, apparently. The budget's only $85m, that's not too bad.

Plus they've already made back half of the budget through selling the international rights for the film