grim22

Weekend #s on Pg 34. Divergent 56M. Muppets 16.5M. Peabody 11.7M, 302 8.6M, Gods not dead 8.5M

I think the legs for this movie will be pretty decent - a 2.6 multiplier.  Females (teenagers and their moms) will be curious about this in its 2nd and 3rd weekends while the movie theaters go back to being filled with male-led blockbusters and comic book movies.  Females only get the leading role in 25% of the films, so female audiences are going to give this some decent legs.

• Like 1

That's not at all what you were saying with that post.  The tone was incredibly arrogant and presumptuous, and even your "clarification" is another broadly sweeping generalization.

Stop trying to act like a smart-ass. IMO.

I think the YA audiences tend to like this drivel as a result of puberty-driven angst derived from being at that age in which their parents are the "enemy."  They are simply desperate to feel and achieve freedom that they live vicariously through bland, stereotypical, and poorly-written characters.  They like to think they have the power and intelligence shown in the films, the problem being that there really isn't any power or intelligence shown in the films.

Edited by mattmav45

I think the YA audiences tend to like this drivel as a result of puberty-driven angst derived from being at that age in which their parents are the "enemy."  They are simply desperate to feel and achieve freedom that they live vicariously through bland, stereotypical, and poorly-written characters.  They like to think they have the power and intelligence shown in the films, the problem being that there really isn't any power or intelligence shown in the films.

Yea that's more logical and I kind of agree with it, rather than:

Teens wouldn't know quality if it slapped them across the face and knocked them on their ass.

Plain and simple.

IMO.

You see?

• Like 1

Utter garbage, lol.

I'm suprised you haven't shouted "Get off my lawn yet".

Edited by elcuervo
  • Like 1

Why is YA "drivel"? There's a fairly big range in quality from Twilight to THG to Harry Potter (to say nothing of other classic YA material). I do agree that teens tend to like all sorts of stuff without caring much about quality, but it's hardly specific to YA books and movies.

And I'm not trying to hammer them for it. God knows when I was a teen my tastes were fairly questionable in areas. I think that's true of pretty much everyone.

• Like 8

I'm honestly just trying to strike a nerve, it's Friday afternoon and I'm in a good mood.  Being the lawyer that I am, nothing like some good-natured hostility to get you ready for the weekend.

I probably would have loved The Hunger Games if it had come out 10 years ago.  Now, it just seems a bit silly.  But hey, it looks a helluva lot better than The Host and Divergent.

I spout off all this nonsense and yet I'm the one who's going to see Mr. Peabody and Sherman tonight.  

:ph34r:

• Like 8

And now we already know its final total before the opening weekend? Wow.

Saves me the trouble of hanging around here for hours late on Friday night. 

I might go be social, read a book or who knows what....the possibilities are endless now that this block of time is freed up!!

• Like 1

This was the only thing I could find about it. http://www.thewrap.com/divergent-tracking-50-million-box-office-opening/ "It has an $85 million production budget and marketing will likely run another $40 million, but pre-sales of foreign rights have already brought in roughly $65 million."

65 mill seems accurate :)

85 + 40 = 135m, so basically they're 70m in the hole as the movie gets released. Anything over 150m WW should mean comfortable profits.

Now that's some goooood math skills :P

All I'm saying is the new YA fad with oppression storylines is laughable in nature.

All of them try to be so hard and deep, but even The Hunger Games can't overcome how glossy the material ultimately is.  

Comical.

IMO.

I missed reading even Halba's posts, but yours? Nope. 

What does deep mean? Seriously. What's powerful for someone might be meaningless for the other. 

Catching Fire dealt and tackled issues such as the growing disparity between rich and poor, hope, desire for control, sacrifice, corruption, unreliable media, propaganda, and trust....very well. If only more movies were like Catching Fire. 

Does a person have to look out their window to stare at a darkening sky while contemplating the meaning of their life to be deep? Or maybe to drive an old truck down an empty road as the sun sets? Possibly a woman shrieking hysterically holding a broken Vodka bottle in her hand as her husband walks out the door to leave her?

If you don't like the YA franchises, then don't watch them. I'm glad for franchises like Potter and the Hunger Games...they're quality series that pay attention to characters and plot more than visuals, and have resonated deeply among people worldwide because they have a story and message to talk about the human state. 

You're just generalizing and being a complete prat just for the sake of trying to seem smarter. When in reality, it shows us nothing but how insecure you are. 

IMO. 

• Like 10