grim22

Weekend #s on Pg 34. Divergent 56M. Muppets 16.5M. Peabody 11.7M, 302 8.6M, Gods not dead 8.5M

Killing Midnights and promoting Previews kind of killed the event those midnights were, so I wouldn't read too much into the fact, that it opened under "Twilight".

And don't forget, "Divergent" should draw much more guys than twilight. Still think this is looking at something aroud 60m.

• Like 2

I have a confession to make. It's so shocking I had to hide it in spoiler tags and color it white. Highlight if you must.

I've never seen a Muppets movie.

This confirms you are not human but an A.I. posing as such and using message boards to reach out and attempt to latch onto emotional connections expressed by others. Attempting to feel for yourself. 

You've been exposed. 

• Like 2

Seemed like it appealed more to nostalgic adults than kids.

I can vouch for this. I'm 15 and I've personally never watched this, no one in my high school has either and all my little family friends don't really care for the movie (but I'm sure they all know what a Muppet is, they just don't care for it). 

Anyone think Summit is satisfied with this?

Wasn't the buadget moderately large?

I think satisfied is probably the best word to use. That is, if it does land in the 55M+ OW area. I think if it lands anywhere sub 45M OW, then it might be seen as a failure. With around 80-90M budget, DOM right now looks to be around 140M (if it opens to 55Mish), plus OS will push it up, so overall I can't see why a sequel can't happen.

And it's not fair to compare this to THG run. THG run was probably the most impressive openings I've seen ever. How often does a non-sequel film make 155M OW, and also in 2D?

85 + 40 = 135m, so basically they're 70m in the hole as the movie gets released. Anything over 150m WW should mean comfortable profits.

It's 125M but but yeah, I still think they're going to be fine profits wise.

• Like 1

almost 5m I was hoping for about 7m. but It should still open to over $50m, and end it's run a $120m or so. not fantastic, but certainly not bad. at least now BO annalists can compared YA adaptions to something between gigantic blockbusters and absolute bombs! :P

Edited by kalo21

I dont understand you guys. How do u possibly look at this as being soft? Midnight/previews have changed since 2012. You cant seriously be comparing a midnight from 2008 to now. I think its a great number and anything from 50-60 is on the table. Twilight run would be great for this.

• Like 8

Divergent had a fantastic start last night for Summit (Lionsgate’s company), pulling in $4.9M in late-night Thursday screenings that began at 8 PM. That is one of the best preview numbers in recent memory, and compares to starts like BoxOffice_logoUniversal’s Despicable Me 2 at $4.7 million and World War Z at $3.6M and went onto gross $66.4M with a similar demographic. DM2 went onto gross $83.5M but that was fueled by family audiences. The action/adventure film, based on the 2011 Veronica Roth novel of the same name, is appealing to the twenty-something crowd who drive the box office on these kinds of films; it was produced by Doug Wick, Lucy Fisher and Pouya Shahbazian. Interestingly, the book doesn’t have the same kind of readership/fan base as say Hunger Games or even Vampire Diaries, so if this movie opens to its expected $50M-$60M+

http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/box-office-divergent-late-nights-huge-4-9m-and-on-track-for-50m-60m-frame-muppets-most-wanted-expected-at-no-2-budapest-hotel-expands/#more-702568

Hunger Games is a total anomaly. Original films have to be allowed to build a fan base outside the established book loonies. Twilight did that. Im stunned that u guys think this is a soft opening.

• Like 4

I dont understand you guys. How do u possibly look at this as being soft? Midnight/previews have changed since 2012. You cant seriously be comparing a midnight from 2008 to now. I think its a great number and anything from 50-60 is on the table. Twilight run would be great for this.

I don't think it's soft or terrible, but it's certainly not out of this world. Still, the movie has a very modest budget and is sure to be a solid moneymaker.

Good midnight numbers but legs will tell the story, Twilight had awful legs.

The first one had decent legs. It was something like 68/197....not terrible at all.

I don't think it's soft or terrible, but it's certainly not out of this world. Still, the movie has a very modest budget and is sure to be a solid moneymaker.

But why would it be out of this world? The first is supposed to build an audience. Most films that hope to have more than one movie hope to do that. Again...THG is an exception.
  • Like 2

But why would it be out of this world? The first is supposed to build an audience. Most films that hope to have more than one movie hope to do that. Again...THG is an exception.

So why are you so surprised to a muted reaction to a decent opening?