grim22

Weekend #s on Pg 34. Divergent 56M. Muppets 16.5M. Peabody 11.7M, 302 8.6M, Gods not dead 8.5M

Imagine if every YA property Lionsgate touches opens with a 50M+ OW. That is crazy. But somehow, it is a bad thing.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

Thank you!  I've been so sick of people circlejerking about superhero movies nonstop for the last few years on here.  Finally a  different movie gets attention and now people (many of which were the same ones discussing the aforementioned movies to death) are pulling their claws out.

Double standards much?

It wasn't my intention to offend you or other Frozen fans out there, please understand that. 

If i did, let me say i'm sorry.

THIS is a prime example why expanding Chinese market will single-handedly destroy Hollywood as we know it.

In 10 years time, Michael Bay > Spielberg ever was.

LOL what ?

Look, most Hollywood YA movies simply do not work well in all Asia territories, not just in China. They tank in SK and in Japan as well.

Are not Bay movies popular in US and outgrossing most recent SS films ? Didnt TF2 made over 400m ?

You are looking it to far by saying two silly words.

Imagine if every YA property Lionsgate touches opens with a 50M+ OW. That is crazy. But somehow, it is a bad thing.

Nooooooooooooo we might not get a big budget tentpole that exclusively targets males every other week

• Like 4

THIS is a prime example why expanding Chinese market will single-handedly destroy Hollywood as we know it.

In 10 years time, Michael Bay > Spielberg ever was.

I am curious as to why the Hollywood studios believe Chinese audiences just want mindless explosions and endless CGI.  Is this really what Chinese and global audiences want?  Or is this pretty much all that they get to see?  I don't believe that Chinese moviegoers are any dumber than your average American moviegoer, but studios might think that they are.  Don't they think that Chinese people can appreciate good dialogue and can read subtitles?

Edited by Ando918
  • Like 2

I am curious as to why the Hollywood studios believe Chinese audiences just want mindless explosions and endless CGI.  Is this really what Chinese and global audiences want?  Or is this pretty much all that they get to see?  I don't believe that Chinese moviegoers are any dumber than your average American moviegoer, but studios might think that they are.  Don't they think that Chinese people can appreciate good dialogue and can read subtitles?

In general, for some reason, American studios tend to think that people not living in America can't appreciate anything more than explosions. It's sad, really. I mean, I know that American and Chinese audiences will appreciate different things, but I think complexity can be appreciated by anybody.

I am curious as to why the Hollywood studios believe Chinese audiences just want mindless explosions and endless CGI.  Is this really what Chinese and global audiences want?  Or is this pretty much all that they get to see?  I don't believe that Chinese moviegoers are any dumber than your average American moviegoer, but studios might think that they are. Don't they think that Chinese people can appreciate good dialogue and can read subtitles?

They probably think dimly of both Americans and Chinese.I don't understand, in general, what's to fear about China overtaking the US in any sense. The population difference is tremendous, if you doubled the US population you still wouldn't get half of China's. It's only a matter of time and I can't believe anyone would actually be surprised.

I imagine that they figure action plays better than more cerebral things. I don't think it's a coincidence that the highest grossing non-English movie in the US by far is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and not some talky family drama. And Hollywood does a great job overall of believing domestic audiences are dumb, so would they really think better of everyone else in the world? Studio execs seem pretty risk-averse overall, if they have some success with CGI explosion fests in China then they'll churn out more of the same until it stops working.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

YA and some other Hollywood sub/genre films (namely comedies) often rely too much on American/English/Western culture. Major reason why they do well in territories with much different cutures.

Movies goers in China/SK/Japan and other international markets watch Hollywood movies mostly for fun while being busy watching their own films as well. You do not expect them resonate with flicks like Anchorman. To them, it's not popcorn blockbusters are any good and provoking, just much easier to enjoy in the two hours in theaters.

YA and some other Hollywood sub/genre films (namely comedies) often rely too much on American/English/Western culture. Major reason why they do well in territories with much different cutures.

Movies goers in China/SK/Japan and other international markets watch Hollywood movies mostly for fun while being busy watching their own films as well. You do not expect them resonate with flicks like Anchorman. To them, it's not popcorn blockbusters are any good and provoking, just much easier to enjoy in the two hours in theaters.

Why pick Anchorman as an example? I don't expect them to enjoy Anchorman. But I would like it if studios gave them more complex blockbusters. Movies that are more like TDK/CF/Inception than Transformers films. Right now, I feel we have more blockbusters tilted to Transformers, in terms of complexity, than the other side.

That explains why Harry Potter did so poorly overseas, oh wait.  By the end of it, Breaking Dawn II had a 65% OS ratio too.  A lot of the times these movies already have a fandom in the English speaking countries, but it takes longer for the fanbase to build up everywhere else.

Just because they don't resonate with you, you can't say that they don't resonate well with other overseas audiences.  And who are you to objectively define what "fun" means for other moviegoers?  You got to stop being so narrowminded and assuming that every movie goer is just like you, because they aren't.

• Like 2