grim22

Weekend #s on Pg 34. Divergent 56M. Muppets 16.5M. Peabody 11.7M, 302 8.6M, Gods not dead 8.5M

They should think about how many females go see Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, Iron Man, James Bond, Mission Impossible, Indiana Jones, Jason Bourne, Star Wars....and no guy ever thinks they are a lesbian for doing so.

Hopefully after Catching Fire and Frozen did so well, we will be getting more female leads in blockbusters instead of the same old same old.

Frankly Big Hero 6 looks like a step back after Frozen, with another male lead superhero flick for the boys. :wacko:

WHY DO I HAVE TWO WAIT TWO MORE AGONISING WEEKS FOR DIVERGENT HERE IN THE UK. I JUST WANT TO SEE IT NOWIm entering all the competitions for premiers and early screenings here. Cant waitAlso my divergent over 152M club could be win

WHY DO I HAVE TWO WAIT TWO MORE AGONISING WEEKS FOR DIVERGENT HERE IN THE UK. I JUST WANT TO SEE IT NOWIm entering all the competitions for premiers and early screenings here. Cant waitAlso my divergent over 152M club could be win

A little bit of a Divergent fan aren't you? ;):P

• Like 1

They should think about how many females go see Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, Iron Man, James Bond, Mission Impossible, Indiana Jones, Jason Bourne, Star Wars....and no guy ever thinks they are a lesbian for doing so.

Us guys are totally insecure about our masculinity and sexuality. ;)

• Like 2

I just don't worry about that stuff.  The only film I was ever a little conscious of was seeing Magic Mike by myself.  Thankfully there were only four other people in the theater so it wasn't too bad.

• Like 3

I don't know why anyone was expecting this to be Twilight.

Anything over 40m opening for this film in my opinion was great. Not every thing is a top tier franchise. 3 or 4 films grossing 110m+ on average is a pretty damn good franchise to me. With an 85m budget this is a hit. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 4

I just don't worry about that stuff.  The only film I was ever a little conscious of was seeing Magic Mike by myself.  Thankfully there were only four other people in the theater so it wasn't too bad.

I'm not interested in something like Magic Mike, but I wouldn't go see a movie about female strippers either. That just isn't my thing.

• Like 1

I'm not interested in something like Magic Mike, but I wouldn't go see a movie about female strippers either. That just isn't my thing.

I just love movies (not that you don't) and I'll see anything once.  

• Like 8

The recent YA's were hit and miss for me.  Shockingly Vampire Academy was actually pretty decent but some of the others, like Mortal Instruments, were absolutely wretched.

A few weeks ago someone asked me what the worst movie I saw last year was and I said, without any hesitation, The Mortal Instruments.  Truly painful.

• Like 1

Hopefully after Catching Fire and Frozen did so well, we will be getting more female leads in blockbusters instead of the same old same old.

Frankly Big Hero 6 looks like a step back after Frozen, with another male lead superhero flick for the boys. :wacko:

Don't worry, after Frozen's box office domination you can bet Hollywood is fast-tracking at least a dozen Frozen knock offs as we speak.

• Like 1

Hoping for good performance for Muppets Most Wanted

I saw Divergent today, alone.  I don't know why some of you are so nervous about going to a movie A) by yourself and B) to something that might be considered more aimed at girls/women.

Agree! I sometimes go to movies alone as well even for romantic and animated movies :D It's kinda awkward to watch romantic movies when you're alone and you're surrounded with couples though but if the movie is interesting you just wouldn't care anymore

Edited by forg
  • Like 3

Us guys are totally insecure about our masculinity and sexuality. ;)

Yeah, it is a little more complicated than that, though.  It is completely socially acceptable for girls to wear the color blue or play high school sports, but it is socially questionable if boys wear the color pink or like to shop for clothes at the mall.  It is not males or females fault of this generation for this thinking - it is ingrained sexism from patriarchy over tens of thousands of years of human cities/civilization.  Guys are totally fine with watching two women kiss, because that does not threaten male patriarchy.  But guys often have a problem with watching two men kissing, or the idea of same-sex marriage, because that does threaten male patriarchy.

Yeah, it is a little more complicated than that, though.  It is completely socially acceptable for girls to wear the color blue or play high school sports, but it is socially questionable if boys wear the color pink or like to shop for clothes at the mall.  It is not males or females fault of this generation for this thinking - it is ingrained sexism from patriarchy over tens of thousands of years of human cities/civilization.  Guys are totally fine with watching two women kiss, because that does not threaten male patriarchy.  But guys often have a problem with watching two men kissing, or the idea of same-sex marriage, because that does threaten male patriarchy.

Except that, of course, there have been plenty of civilizations that didn't have a problem with homosexuality at all. And the whole blue/pink divide has basically been pushed by corporations over the last 100 years or so.

Putting all that aside, who cares? Are people really so insecure that colors bother them? (Answer: Yes, I know they are, in large part.)

Edited by 7elemachos
  • Like 3