baumer

BSG: Congratulations to FILM!

At first glance the top 15 feels a lot harder this year than last. I could see maybe even 5 or 6 different films getting ranked first by different members this year, whereas last year it was pretty certain to be Iron man all the way. 

• Like 1

Tele and kitik are the ones on my target list this year. Tele is my perennial arch-nemesis so he'll always be on my list, and kitik is the champ and you gotta gun for the champ.

I have also noticed something about kitik's predictions. They have become increasingly sloppier. It's like he hasn't been hungry since he won that title. Like he got civilized or something, which is really the worst thing that can happen to any box office predictor. As for me, my whole life has been directed towards that Baumer Summer Game crown. I analyze the numbers alone, I predict alone, and I'll win the title alone! Now I realize that Boxoffice.com and Shawn don't want a man like me to have the title 'cause I'm not a puppet like our current paper champion. All I got to say to that is, you can't duck me forever, kitik. You can run, but you can't hide!

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 6

INTERVIEWER: Stingray, do you hate tele and kitik?

Stingray:  No, I don't hate them, but I pity the fools and I will destroy any man who is trying to win what I want.

INTERVIEWER: Stingray, do you have a prediction this year?

Stingray:  Prediction?

INTERVIEWER: Yes, prediction.

Stingray:  PAIN.

• Like 8

We'll try this out.  Let's leave the main thread as an area to post your predictions.  

This thread can be used for everything else.  Questions, concerns, chat, bitching....do it all here.  

• Like 1

Top choices to do last minute Copy + Paste:

Kitik

Sam

Olive

Cedar

Grim

Never Copy From:

Telemachos

Kayu

Stingray

Thankfully, I'm taking my own advice from last year after the game was over:

Ranked 18!?My surgery + Mexico trip fucked me! I pretty much guessed most of August!My strats for next time:1. Lowball the shit out of every movie.2. Copy Kitik's answers weekly.3. Abstain all risky SOTMs...4. Answer the opposite of Telemachos.

• Like 3

You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, Ed, and I won't have it! Is that clear? You think you've merely insulted my preseason predictions. That is not the case! Baumer has taken billions of points from me, and now he must give it back! It is ebb and flow, tidal gravity! It is ecological balance! You are an old man who thinks in terms of SOTMs and Bonus Questions. There are no SOTMs. There are no Bonus Questions. There are no Trivia Bonuses. There are no International awards. There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multivariate, multinational dominion of box-office gross. Marvel-dollars, DC-dollars, Kaiju-dollars, ape dollars, spidey cents, mutant dollars, Bayhem Bit Coins, and Aronofskian shekels. It is the international system of currency which determines the totality of success in this Game. That is the natural order of things today. That is the atomic and subatomic and galactic structure of things today! And YOU have meddled with the primal forces of nature, and YOU... WILL... ATONE! Am I getting through to you, Ed? You get up on your little twenty-one inch screen and howl about Nolan and INTERSTELLAR. There is no Nolan. There is no INTERSTELLAR. There is only BLENDED, and MALEFICIENT, and EDGE OF TOMORROW, and TRANSFORMERS, TAMMY, SNOWPIERCER, and TMNT. Those are the movies of the world this summer. What do you think kitik talks about in his secret councils of state, TDKR? He gets out his linear programming charts, statistical decision theories, minimax solutions, and computes the price-cost probabilities of his predictions and guesstimations, just like we do. We no longer live in a world of British producers who wear elegant suits on set, Ed. This Game is a college of guesses, inexorably determined by the immutable bylaws of the box-office. The world is box-office, Ed. It has been since man crawled out of the slime. And our children will live, Ed, to see that... perfect forum... in which there are no flops or bombs, failed predictions or iJackian lunacy. One vast and ecumenical forum, for whom all posters will work to serve a common prediction, in which all posters will hold a share of the guesses. All necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused. 

• Like 11

My answers

TOP 15

[*]How to Train your Dragon 2- 354.9M

[*]Transformers Age of Extinction- 291.5M

[*]X-Men: Days of Future Past- 251.3M

[*]The Amazing Spider-man 2- 235.4M

[*]Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 230.6M

[*]Maleficent- 203.6M

[*]Fault in our Stars- 190.5M

[*]Godzilla- 181.7M

[*]Neighbors- 165.4M

[*]Tammy- 147.3M

[*]Guardians Of The Galaxy- 146.5M

[*]22 Jump Street- 128.6M

[*]Planes: Fire and Rescue- 118.5M

[*]Deliver Us From Evil- 112.6M

[*]A Million Ways to Die in the West- 104.6M

My two reserves

16. Think Like A Man Too 96.2m

17. Sex Tape 93.6m

WW Top 10

[*]Transformers 4 1.15billion

[*]How to train your dragon 2 880M

[*]The amazing spider-man 2 860M

[*]X-Men: Days Of Future Past 682M

[*]Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes 650M

[*]Maleficent 604M

[*]Godzilla 508.6M

[*]The Fault In Our Stars 340M

[*]Guardians Of The Galaxy 310M

[*]Neighbors 285M

Best weekends worldwide [i am literally just throwing random numbers]

Transformers 4- 200.3M

X-Men Days Of Future Past- 147.8M

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 135.3M

HTTYD2- 120.5M

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes- 116.2M

Top 7 Domestic Opening Weekends

1. Transformers: Age Of Extinction 101.2M

2. How To Train Your Dragon 2 97.8M

3. X-Men: Days Of Future Past 84.5m

4. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 83.4m

5. Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes 76.5m

6. Maleficent- 66.1M

7. Godzilla- 57.2M

5 lowest grossing movies of the summer (in no order)

Snowpiercer

The rover

The fluffy movie

Step Up: All In

Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return

Pre-season bonus questions

1. Legends of oz: Dorothy's return- 11.5M

2. Maleficent- 245M

3. How to train your dragon 2- 605M

Triple bonus

1.YES

2. YES

3. YES

4. YES

5. YES

6. NO

7. YES

8. YES

9. NO

10. D

11. YES

12. NO

13. YES

14. YES

15. NO

Bonus questions of all questions

1) NO

2) YES

3) ABSTAIN

4) YES

Horror bonus

1) YES

2) YES

3) ABSTAIN

4) YES

Highest grossing comedy

May: Neighbors [162.4m)

June: 22 Jump Street (128.6m)

July: Tammy (146.3m)

Not going for fourth film (I've learnt to be more careful with these bonuses after the winter game)

Question 19

1. 15

2. 5

3. 4

4. 370.8m

5. No

6. No

7. Yes

8. Godzilla

9. No

10. Yes

11. No

12. 1

13. Yes

14. No

15. Yes

16. Lucy

17. So Close but NO [i'm at about 395M]

18. No

19. No

20. 12

Question 20

1. Tammy

2. YES

3. Blended

4. No

5. Yes

6. 1

7. No

8. Yes

9. Yes

10. Yes

11. No

12. No

13. Yes

14. Yes

15. A

Edited by FrozenFilms
  • Like 1

You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, Ed, and I won't have it! Is that clear? You think you've merely insulted my preseason predictions. That is not the case! Baumer has taken billions of points from me, and now he must give it back! It is ebb and flow, tidal gravity! It is ecological balance! You are an old man who thinks in terms of SOTMs and Bonus Questions. There are no SOTMs. There are no Bonus Questions. There are no Trivia Bonuses. There are no International awards. There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multivariate, multinational dominion of box-office gross. Marvel-dollars, DC-dollars, Kaiju-dollars, ape dollars, spidey cents, mutant dollars, Bayhem Bit Coins, and Aronofskian shekels. It is the international system of currency which determines the totality of success in this Game. That is the natural order of things today. That is the atomic and subatomic and galactic structure of things today! And YOU have meddled with the primal forces of nature, and YOU... WILL... ATONE! Am I getting through to you, Ed? You get up on your little twenty-one inch screen and howl about Nolan and INTERSTELLAR. There is no Nolan. There is no INTERSTELLAR. There is only BLENDED, and MALEFICIENT, and EDGE OF TOMORROW, and TRANSFORMERS, TAMMY, SNOWPIERCER, and TMNT. Those are the movies of the world this summer. What do you think kitik talks about in his secret councils of state, TDKR? He gets out his linear programming charts, statistical decision theories, minimax solutions, and computes the price-cost probabilities of his predictions and guesstimations, just like we do. We no longer live in a world of British producers who wear elegant suits on set, Ed. This Game is a college of guesses, inexorably determined by the immutable bylaws of the box-office. The world is box-office, Ed. It has been since man crawled out of the slime. And our children will live, Ed, to see that... perfect forum... in which there are no flops or bombs, failed predictions or iJackian lunacy. One vast and ecumenical forum, for whom all posters will work to serve a common prediction, in which all posters will hold a share of the guesses. All necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused. 

Posted Image

• Like 2