Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

You can pinpoint the moment when it goes off the rails - it is when they take off their helmets in the cave. Everything to that point was great and visually amazing, at that point you realize we are following a bunch of morons.

"The air is perfect! Let's take off our helmets!!"

"Yeah there is no possible way that there are deadly viruses and/or bacteria in the air that we would have no immunity to!!!!"

The movie sounds like the equivalent of the book -- which is exactly what it should be. It's gonna be a fun, crowd-pleasing, and smart adventure thriller that's very entertaining but not philosophically deep (nor should it be, it's not that sort of story).

The early October release and TIFF premiere probably had people thinking it would be. This sounds like a conventional summer movie.

Edited by tribefan695

I know Lindelof cannot solely be blamed for the issues with every single TV show and movie he is associated with, but all of them seem to raise a lot of questions which are then unanswered completely. After a while it does seem like his calling card more than anyone else associated with those shows and movies.

As a screenwriter, Lindelof is completely beholden to the director attached to the project. Any issues are a joint concern.

As a showrunner, it's valid to direct criticism at him, but it's also worth pointing out that (from the accounts of those involved with LOST) that he was responsible for corralling that whole crazy enterprise into many of the great moments it had.

• Like 1

The early October release and TIFF premiere probably had people thinking it would be. This sounds like a conventional summer movie.

Early October is a great time to release a movie. Again, this was a huge longshot at BP. But because it's releasing in the right timeframe (almost certainly intentional), with good reviews (Fox had a lot of faith in this from test screening reactions and such) it's a lock to get technical noms at the Oscars. Which is just gonna be gravy over the money this thing will make.

Edited by Jayhawk

One last batch of reviews before I have to get on the train-

NY Post- extremely positive: http://nypost.com/2015/09/11/matt-damons-the-martian-is-an-unpretentious-popcorn-classic/

JoBlo- positive 8/10: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/review-the-martian-tiff-2015-285

Only one negative review so far so this is clearly doing well. Seems like it will be the original (well not a franchise) crowd pleaser of the Fall.

Edited by Jayhawk

My only experience with a Scott film was very bad, I think and hope this will be much better

the film was Gladiator

I could definitely see why somebody wouldn't like Gladiator. For all the hype it was a pretty simple film. It probably coulda been done by anyone really.