Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

I thought it was "Castaway on Mars" survival and I got some generic Red Planet shit cutting away with boring reaction shots disrupting the potential survival story. (If the trailer is of any indication about the balance of the story...I don't think you hire Chastain, Ejiofor, Daniels and the likes just for cameos in the beginning and the end). It's like Gravity constantly cutting away to Sandra Bullock's relatives, Houston engineers and random people on earth crying disrupting the tension and ruining the sensation of being stranded away all alone in the vastness of the cosmos...Oh wait, that movie was called Interstellar.

I don't think Interstellar was ever trying to give the audience the sensation of being stranded away all alone. That was never a major point either in the movie or in the marketing. In the case of Gravity however, that was the entire point of the movie.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

I don't think Interstellar was ever trying to give the audience the sensation of being stranded away all alone. That was never a major point either in the movie or in the marketing. In the case of Gravity however, that was the entire point of the movie.

The constant cutaways to earth robbed away the tension in the planet exploration and are pointless (Chastain and Caine scenes are cringeworthy). And the parallel editing was kinda of pointless trying to create artificial tension in a time ticking bomb scenario (Chastain putting the cornfield on fire) when the 5th dimension thing can allow you to choose any point in time.

Edited by MADash Rendar

The constant cutaways to earth robbed away the tension in the planet exploration and are pointless (Chastain and Caine scenes are cringeworthy). And the parallel editing was kinda of pointless trying to create artificial tension in a time ticking bomb scenario (Chastain putting the cornfield on fire) when the 5th dimension thing can allow you to choose any point in time.

Which we don't know until he actually goes into the black hole.

• Like 1