Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

The reviews only look a lot better in RT score, average rating between the two is looking to be fairly similar. Don't think BH6 and IS affected each other much at all, but could be wrong I suppose. If anything gets this over IS' OW I suspect it would be the Mars announcement. 

The RT score is actually important in this regard because it means an audience's chances of enjoying the film are going to be higher than Interstellar where some absolutely loved it, and some didn't like it at all. Whereas with the Martian, you might not be amazed, but chances are you'll walk away feeling satisfied. I think in general, it speaks to how audience friendly this movie is gonna be.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

The RT score is actually important in this regard because it means an audience's chances of enjoying the film are going to be higher than Interstellar where some absolutely loved it, and some didn't like it at all. Whereas with the Martian, you might not be amazed, but chances are you'll walk away feeling satisfied. I think in general, it speaks to how audience friendly this movie is gonna be.

Interstellar was actually pretty well-received in spite of those polarizing reviews. If the Martian is truly considered better, then that means will probably be great, no matter the opening weekend.

Edited by FancyArcher

If this does happen to really under-perform, then all I can say is the Mars movie curse is very real. 

So many shitty Mars movies...  Red Planet, Mission to Mars, Ghosts of Mars, The Last Days on Mars, John Carter of Mars, etc.

I think the only good one in the last 20 years was Mars Attacks! and that was a comedy.

• Like 3

So many shitty Mars movies...  Red Planet, Mission to Mars, Ghosts of Mars, The Last Days on Mars, John Carter of Mars, etc.

I think the only good one in the last 20 years was Mars Attacks! and that was a comedy.

And don't forget Mars Needs Moms, one of the biggest money losers of all time. All were some of the biggest box office bombs of their respective years too. Even the Mars IMAX docs were bombs. 

But that bombed.

1990 was the sweet spot for Mars at the box office. Start the reactor, Quaid.

• Like 1

You should have added a gif so that folks here could tell that you were joking.

They filmed on Earth?

Bah. Practical effects Hollywood! Lord Abrams has shown us the light. All practical. Star Wars shot on Tattooine for gods sake!

Yes, I know the planet is Jakku, but I hear Tatooine has better tax incentives. The Huts are job creators. Jabba 2016!

Edited by kowhite

It didn't have "Mars" in its title, maybe that was the difference.

Didn't help Red Planet.

And well, didn't help John Carter.

I still crack up at John Carter. Disney makes a couple movies that lead them to go...don't make movies with the word "princess" or "Mars" in the title.

Then...they greenlight a 300m movie called Princess of Mars.

I'm just glad "of" didn't become a banned word too.

Edited by kowhite

God I really hated the Led Zep song as their go to for those trailers.

That's on you Stanton. I know it was you.

I want Kashmir to be used in every trailer, all the time.

Hell, just make a mosaic trailer for every movie. 

• Like 1

I want Kashmir to be used in every trailer, all the time.

Hell, just make a mosaic trailer for every movie.

God man.

I bet you want Stairway for every TV trailer too.

And Immigrant Song for every video game trailer.

Ok, fine, I could dig that last one.

But as penance for your post...you must watch this as punishment. You see what happens Larry? This is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass Larry.