Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

I really think people are giving Ridley too much credit for this. The source material is what made this film, any decent director could have made a good film out if Andy Weirs novel.

And btw I'm a big Ridley fan

Eh, not really. Filmmaking is a much bigger process than the script, and I say that as a huge fan of this book. Plenty of good books have been turned into shitty, shitty movies. 

• Like 5

Jurassic Park, obviously not a shitty movie, so it might not be the best example here, but a movie where the film's final product is COMPLETELY different from the tone and feel of the source material due to the choices that Spielberg and the crew make. Timeline, another awesome Crichton book, has a relatively faithful-ish script, but that movie is fucking terribad in every way due to failures in direction, casting, and production. So it ain't that easy.

• Like 2

Are you referring to the act of saving Mark or the final scene?

That wasn't really as epic or thrilling as I would've wanted it to be, it wasnt really that scary either. It was just nice, not anything special, just nice.

I was referring to the scenes that came after that. They were a tad bit underwhelming.

• Like 1

Does The Martian's story justify it's incredibly long length? It has been a long time since I last went to see a 2 hour and 30 minute movie in theaters. :mellow:

You could watch this at home and be just fine. I would've preferred to have watched this at home in all honesty. Also the 3D added nothing.

Some reviewers expect a lot of shit flying at you in 3d, this doesn't have that from what I've read.  It supposedly adds depth and stuff making it prettier. 

A mix of both is always preferred, but I'll take depth over before the window any day. Take Ant-Man for example: that movie didn't have much popping out but the depth added so much to the shrunken scenes.