Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

The movie is super-nerdy and yet you can tell it will click with the GA. It's upbeat and fun, and is really funny - the audience roared with laughter over and over again, moreso than I experienced in any actual comedy film in the past year. Soundtrack is great and works its way into why you care about the characters, which is a really neat move by Ridley. The visuals are wonderful (even the 3D was tolerable) and you're really rooting for Watney and for NASA/CNSA. By the end you feel proud and you just want to cheer everyone on. Matt Damon is great, most of the supporting cast is good too, especially Daniels.

Edited by 99 Trees
  • Like 2

Films was pretty good. Only comment was it got a little too Hollywoody toward the end. The book felt like it was being written by an actual scientist whereas there were times, mainly toward the climax where you could tell Hollywood had put their stamp on this.

Worst part of the movie for me was Jessica Chastain, we know she can act but she was so wooden in this.

B+

Had no issues with Chastain.

It's very good. Light and funnier than anything Scott has directed before. Retains the humour of the book, actually revels in it.

Clearly made for everybody, so those who want all the science of the novel, measure your expectations as this is for joe public as much as you. But it's a lot of fun. As someone has already said, audiences are going to love it. Big, big hit Fox have on their hands here.

Visually it's gorgeous, like all of Ridley's films. Definitely worth the price in 3D too.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is at NYFF right now for The Martian screening. His tweets later tonight or tomorrow should be entertaining.

"Hi, I'm Neil DeGrasse Tyson and I've been paid thousands to tell you to watch this movie".

Edited by AJG

The weakest part of Interstellar was the entire Matt Damon segment, so it's nice that Ridley decided to make a movie correcting that.

That segment in Interstellar was more interesting than anything Gravity had to offer. I expect the Martian to be better than both of them, of course.
  • Like 1