Plain Old Tele

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword | Guy Ritchie | May 12, 2017 | Charlie Hunnam

On 4/11/2014 at 11:51 PM, Impact said:

Not sure really about critics, I don't think it was liked at the time.

I know Ebert gave it a mixed review, not sure about Siskel though (nobody has uploaded the Sneak Previews episode yet), but it did make 34 million in 1981 (being the 18th highest grossing film of 1981), which isn't bad. Unsure about the budget though.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

The budget for Excalibur was only 10M.  Considering that the gross more than tripled the budget, it's safe to say that it was NOT a flop, especially when the known gross is domestic only (for whatever reason, foreign grosses for movies from that era are often undocumented).  Far from doing badly, it was actually quite a hit.  It was also generally well-received by critics. 

• Like 1

Of course, Guy Ritchie is no John Boorman.  Boorman did Excaliber because he couldn't get his version of Lord Of The Rings off the ground and he wound up using several of his ideas for LOTR on Excaliber.  I'd have loved to see his version of LOTR which sounds more than a bit batshit - think Zardoz.

http://cinetropolis.net/the-great-unmade-john-boormans-the-lord-of-the-rings/

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1