Films

Weekend numbers: Ca2 41.4M, Oculus 12M, draft day 9.75M, Raid 2 1M

11.9M puts Cap2 on pace for 40-42M for the weekend depending on whether or not it gets a kiddie bump today seeing how it is directly competing for that bump with Rio2.I think the 14M being projected by BO.com was never happening, opening the thread with that number led to expectations getting out of hand.

There was an over $50m second weekend club since the beginning of the week, expectations were out of hand way before the start of this thread lol

Another good Friday for Divergent - looking at about a 7.2 weekend.  Noah is still crashing, as expected.  Can't believe Boxoffice.com believed it would only fall 50% this weekend.  Divergent still has a chance to hit 150 million domestic.

• Like 2

There was an over $50m second weekend club since the beginning of the week, expectations were out of hand way before the start of this thread lol

No offense to those who believed in that club, but if they really did, then they weren't paying attention to the trends of most CBM's.  Most people (I'd say 80% of the people who post here) knew that a 50 mill second weekend was impossible.  

• Like 2

Another good Friday for Divergent - looking at about a 7.2 weekend.  Noah is still crashing, as expected.  Can't believe Boxoffice.com believed it would only fall 50% this weekend.  Divergent still has a chance to hit 150 million domestic.

So it's at 125 after about a 7 mill weekend?  150 looks to be a bit tough to hit.  140 should be locked.  I'm good with this as it gives it a lot of room to grow for the sequel.

• Like 1

I wouldn't cry for him just yet.  

A) Sports films aren't the easiest of sells and with this opening to an estimated 12 mill, it could have a healthy run and do close to 40.

2) His performance in this one is probably his best in maybe 20 years.  This is just my opinion of course, but he is really good in it.

3) The international prospects for this might not look all that bright but I wouldn't be surprised if it does fairly well internationally, nothing outstanding, but maybe 50-60 mill. The NFL is growing internationally and this might play to moderately full theaters in some markets where the NFL is liked.  

The movie is getting released OS at all? The majority of countries won't receive it. IMDb only lists 2 more countries. 

I am far more hopeful for 3 Days to Kill, specially after seeing it performing very well over here.

The movie is getting released OS at all? The majority of countries won't receive it. IMDb only lists 2 more countries. 

I am far more hopeful for 3 Days to Kill, specially after seeing it performing very well over here.

This film was produced in co-operation with the NFL, so if they don't release it overseas, I think they would be foolish.  It's very very American-centric but at least try to release it elsewhere.  

$4.94m is ok for Oculus. 

Relativity bought it for $2.5m, and probably spent $15-20m marketing it. If this gets to $27m or so they'll be in profit when home media comes in. The filmmakers sold the rights to different distributors internationally, so they'll be the real winners here, especially if it only cost $5M to make.

• Like 2

Deadline updated figures1). Rio 2 (FOX), 3,948 theaters / $11.9M Fri. / 3-day cume: $43.9M to $44.3M / Wk 12). Captain America: The Winter Soldier (DIS), 3,938 theaters (0) / $11.7M Fri. / 3-day cume: $40.5M to $41.8M (-56%) / Total cume: $158M to $159.5M / Wk 23). Oculus (REL), 2,648 theaters / $4.9M Fri. / 3-day cume: $12.2M to $12.8M / Wk 14). Draft Day (LGF), 2,781 theaters / $3.57M Fri. / 3-day cume: $10.9M / Wk 15). Divergent (LGF), 3,110 theaters (-521) / $2.3M Fri. / 3-day cume: $7.4M / Total cume: $124.7M / Wk 46). Noah (PAR), 3,282 theaters (-289) / $2M Fri./ 3-day cume: $7M / Total cume: $84.5M / Wk 37). God’s Not Dead (FREE), 1,860 theaters (+102) / $1.57M Fri. / 3-day cume: $5.47M / Total cume: $40.8M / Wk 48). The Grand Budapest Hotel (FSL), 1,467 theaters (+204) / $1.1M Fri. / 3-day cume: $3.M / Total cume: $39.3M / Wk 69). Muppets Most Wanted (DIS), 2,261 theaters (-791) / $565K Fri. / 3-day cume: $2.28M / Total Cume: $45.8M / Wk 410). Mr. Peabody And Sherman (FOX), 2,001 theaters (-930) / $445K Fri. /3-day cume: $1.7M / Total cume: $105.1M / Wk 6

Deadline updated figures1). Rio 2 (FOX), 3,948 theaters / $11.9M Fri. / 3-day cume: $43.9M to $44.3M / Wk 12). Captain America: The Winter Soldier (DIS), 3,938 theaters (0) / $11.7M Fri. / 3-day cume: $40.5M to $41.8M (-56%) / Total cume: $158M to $159.5M / Wk 2

Hmmm, the needle keeps moving on CAP2. What do we believe, 11.9 or 11.7?

Those figures are wrong though.  If boxoffice.com is reporting 11.9 mill for Cap2 then I would assume that's the correct number.  

The fact that Kevin Costner gets to keep starring in movies at his age, even after some of them flop, is similar to how the movie studios have given Liam Neeson a bunch of big roles in the last 5 years.  It is actually a lot of sexism, given how there aren't very many leading roles for females - yet there are plenty of extremely talented actresses out there who would like to be the leading role in a film.  But the studio executives are still stuck in the year 1970 where they would rather give Kevin Costner the lead in 3 flops, or Josh Brolin the lead in 3 flops instead of giving some talented females a chance at leading roles.  I feel bad for talented actresses in Hollywood in their 20s or 30s who can't get leading roles (other than romantic comedies or a superhero's sidekick/girlfriend) because older, White men keep getting them instead.

• Like 1