Films

Weekend numbers: Ca2 41.4M, Oculus 12M, draft day 9.75M, Raid 2 1M

I dont understand saturday number for RIO. and good weather affecting domestic BO is unprecedented.

It's also possible that the "good weather" is not in fact the cause of Rio's small jump. It might just be plain old WOM.

• Like 2

And while these Saturday numbers aren't definite yet, here's some unofficial evidence to back it up.

According to the current numbers on movietickets.com, Cap has taken back the top spot from Rio on Saturday:

Captain America The Winte Soldier - 30%

Rio 2 - 29%

Draft Day - 7%

Race Gurram - 7%

Grand Budapest Hotel - 4%

Ok  :).

In Thor 2's case though the Sunday drop in November was big at -44.5% (only 1 movie in top 10 had a lower than 40% drop..Free Birds at 38.7%... 5 fell > 47%). So I assume Sat had a bigger share of business in general for all movies.

Though yeah, Avengers made things more family friendly and that probably showed in IM3's bump.

Cap's second weekend is just begging the question as to whether reviews matter for Marvel movies anymore. Despite having amazing reviews and supposedly hot word of mouth, Cap 2 is tracking very very similarly to IM3 and Thor 2 right now. The showdown on BOM is within 1-2% of each other everyday. Cap 2 will hold better than Thor 2 next week due to the Easter holidays (losing IMAX won't help though) and will hold worse than Thor 2 the week after next (which was Thanksgiving) so things should end up being pretty much even between them by the end.

• Like 2

I am confused. When has good weather in the United States hurt moviegoing. 

Yes, because movies NEVER do great on Memorial Day weekend ... 4th of July week, etc ... she's completely full of shit.

Edited by Adam
  • Like 3

that Rio number honestly makes no sense at all. I can't think of a single family movie opening outside of summer that didn't jump at least 50% on Saturday.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=meettherobinsons.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=hortonhearsawho.htm

...and there are others. Also, both MTR and Horton opened on the weekend before Easter. A sub-50% increase on Saturday was very likely, though it could have at least been in the 30's.

• Like 1

Yes, because movies NEVER do great on Memorial Day weekend ... 4th of July week, etc ... she's completely full of shit.

why do you people go out of your way to blame Nikki for stuff that other people are saying?