Fancyarcher

Weekend #'s April 18-20 Cap2: 26.2 Rio 22.5 Heaven 21.5 Trans 11.1 pg32

Well I figured someone had to start this thread sooner or later.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/johnny-depps-transcendence-laying-an-egg-at-the-box-office-1201159719/

Despite its star power, Johnny Depp’s “Transcendence” will likely play fourth fiddle in the box office this Easter weekend.

The race looks to be a repeat of last weekend’s sequel showdown between Disney-Marvel’s “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” and Fox’s “Rio 2,” which are each tracking for $25 million-plus.

“Rio 2” looks to benefit from the holiday timeframe as the number of children on spring break doubled this weekend from 10 to 20%. The 3D comedy could win this weekend by a beak, as it stands to earn an estimated $27 million-plus — roughly $2 million more than “Captain America.”

“Winter Soldier” has grossed almost $510 million worldwide ($175 million domestically), while “Rio 2” has tallied $177.2 million ($53 million domestically) through Thursday.

Meanwhile, Warner Bros.’ “Transcendence” is headed for a soft $16 million-plus launch. The sci-fi thriller, which reportedly cost $100 million to produce, may suffer from the lack of word-of-mouth and its poor reviews (pic currently has 19% Rotten Tomatoes meter). “Transcendence” could make up for the loss overseas thanks to a day-and-date release in China.

The high-concept film about a scientist whose consciousness is uploaded digitally marks Wally Pfister’s directorial debut. Pfister is a longtime collaborator of Christopher Nolan’s and won on Oscar for shooting “Inception” back in 2011. The technophobia drama also stars Rebecca Hall, Paul Bettany, Kate Mara and Cillian Murphy.

The movie marks the latest Stateside dud for Johnny Depp. Aside from Disney’s mega successful “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise, the chameleonic actor’s most recent films have bombed domestically. “The Lone Ranger” earned $89 million Stateside, with a total worldwide gross of $261 million — only $45 million more than its production budget. His previous two movies, “Dark Shadows” and “The Rum Diary” drew a cume of $80 million and $13 million, respectively.

Another new weekend entry, Sony’s “Heaven Is for Real” (A CinemaScore) is hoping to capitalize on the recent success of faith-themed pics. The Christian drama is en route for an $18 million weekend — a third place finish ahead of “Transcendence.”

“Heaven Is for Real,” which cost just $12 million to produce, kicked off the Easter weekend early on Wednesday with an opening day gross of $3.7 million. The Greg Kinnear-starrer took in an additional $3.3 million yesterday from 2,417 locations, raising it two-day cume to $7 million.

An adaptation of Todd Burpo’s hit novel of the same name, the movie is an account of Burpo’s then-4-year-old son’s near-death experience. Sony’s grassroots marketing campaign for “Heaven Is for Real” seeks to mirror the success of Todd Burpo’s 2010 global bestseller, which not only had a religious core, but also mass appeal. Sony enlisted senior production exec DeVon Franklin, an ordained minister, to oversee production for the drama, which is produced by bishop T.D. Jakes and Joe Roth.

Open Road’s comedy spoof “A Haunted House 2” and Disney’s wildlife documentary “Bears” also opened on Friday.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 4

Depp, his star shined bright if ever so briefly...Disney at least can take advantage with their salary negotiations. Hopefully they haven't signed on Alice and Pirates 5 yet. Yeah Johnny, about that salary...

Well I figured someone had to start this thread sooner or later.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/johnny-depps-transcendence-laying-an-egg-at-the-box-office-1201159719/

Despite its star power, Johnny Depp’s “Transcendence” will likely play fourth fiddle in the box office this Easter weekend.

The race looks to be a repeat of last weekend’s sequel showdown between Disney-Marvel’sCaptain America: The Winter Soldier” and Fox’s “Rio 2,” which are each tracking for $25 million-plus.

“Rio 2” looks to benefit from the holiday timeframe as the number of children on spring break doubled this weekend from 10 to 20%. The 3D comedy could win this weekend by a beak, as it stands to earn an estimated $27 million-plus — roughly $2 million more than “Captain America.”

“Winter Soldier” has grossed almost $510 million worldwide ($175 million domestically), while “Rio 2” has tallied $177.2 million ($53 million domestically) through Thursday.

Meanwhile, Warner Bros.’ “Transcendence” is headed for a soft $16 million-plus launch. The sci-fi thriller, which reportedly cost $100 million to produce, may suffer from the lack of word-of-mouth and its poor reviews (pic currently has 19% Rotten Tomatoes meter). “Transcendence” could make up for the loss overseas thanks to a day-and-date release in China.

The high-concept film about a scientist whose consciousness is uploaded digitally marks Wally Pfister’s directorial debut. Pfister is a longtime collaborator of Christopher Nolan’s and won on Oscar for shooting “Inception” back in 2011. The technophobia drama also stars Rebecca Hall, Paul Bettany, Kate Mara and Cillian Murphy.

The movie marks the latest Stateside dud for Johnny Depp. Aside from Disney’s mega successful “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise, the chameleonic actor’s most recent films have bombed domestically. “The Lone Ranger” earned $89 million Stateside, with a total worldwide gross of $261 million — only $45 million more than its production budget. His previous two movies, “Dark Shadows” and “The Rum Diary” drew a cume of $80 million and $13 million, respectively.

Another new weekend entry, Sony’s “Heaven Is for Real” (A CinemaScore) is hoping to capitalize on the recent success of faith-themed pics. The Christian drama is en route for an $18 million weekend — a third place finish ahead of “Transcendence.”

“Heaven Is for Real,” which cost just $12 million to produce, kicked off the Easter weekend early on Wednesday with an opening day gross of $3.7 million. The Greg Kinnear-starrer took in an additional $3.3 million yesterday from 2,417 locations, raising it two-day cume to $7 million.

An adaptation of Todd Burpo’s hit novel of the same name, the movie is an account of Burpo’s then-4-year-old son’s near-death experience. Sony’s grassroots marketing campaign for “Heaven Is for Real” seeks to mirror the success of Todd Burpo’s 2010 global bestseller, which not only had a religious core, but also mass appeal. Sony enlisted senior production exec DeVon Franklin, an ordained minister, to oversee production for the drama, which is produced by bishop T.D. Jakes and Joe Roth.

Open Road’s comedy spoof “A Haunted House 2” and Disney’s wildlife documentary “Bears” also opened on Friday.

:unsure:

Depp, his star shined bright if ever so briefly...Disney at least can take advantage with their salary negotiations. Hopefully they haven't signed on Alice and Pirates 5 yet. Yeah Johnny, about that salary...

I bet Amber Head is not easy to please so he will fight the fight.

• Like 1

I know that kids are off from school, that's why Rio2 is projected higher, but still, it's the second weekend, and it's not like Cap doesn't benefit from the family bump as well. I guess we'll see.

• Like 1

All due respect to Depp, but he has never really been a draw in NA.  His Pirates films were lightning in a bottle and Alice was 3D craze.  But nothing he has done before or after really shows his drawing power.  

This movie tanking doesn't surprise me.

• Like 9

I'm guessing no site actually has Friday numbers today. We will probably have to wait till midnight to actually get some friday estimates. Hell, even Boxoffice.com didn't post the early "Our source said..." numbers  :P

Yup. It's gonna be one long night.

I'm guessing no site actually has Friday numbers today. We will probably have to wait till midnight to actually get some friday estimates. Hell, even Boxoffice.com didn't post the early "Our source said..." numbers  :P

I have numbers from Shawn.  But he hasn't given me the okay to post them yet.

So if Transcendence is on pace for 18 mill, does that mean it's on pace for about a 6.5-7.0 Friday?

It made about 850k from midnights, so 6.6 - 6.8 is likely.

Edited by Fancyarcher

The 25 mill number for Cap might be because they are not taking into account that it will likely jump 10% or less tomorrow, not 45-55%.

I see, so Shawn is scared of retribution from CJohn in case he posts wrong Friday numbers  ;)

I asked if I could post the numbers he gave me but he hasn't responded to my text yet.  So I can't.

Variety just posted the most ridiculous article I have read today (ridiculous articles are dime a dozen on Variety nowadays). The title made me think Lego Movie was getting a re-release, then I read the article.

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/why-the-lego-movie-will-give-summer-movie-audiences-a-reason-to-stay-home-1201159710/

Will Summer Releases Get Blocked By ‘The Lego Movie’?

Studios releasing their movies this summer have another film to compete with for attention as they try to lure younger moviegoers into the multiplex: “The Lego Movie.”

Warner Bros. will release the animated hit on DVD, Blu-ray and Digital HD in the heat of the summer on June 17.

The studio’s homevideo division also plans to release a special “Everything Is Awesome Edition” (named after the movie’s catchy tune), which will offer a Vitruvius minifigure and collectible 3D photo of Emmet, along with commentary tracks; an “Everything Is Awesome” sing-along; deleted scenes; outtakes; making-of featurettes; fan-made Lego movies; and the short films “Batman: A True Artist” and “Michelangelo and Lincoln: History Cops.”

What’s interesting about the release date is that Hollywood doesn’t have a new family release debuting that weekend, giving “Lego Movie” most of the attention.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 4