Fancyarcher

Weekend #'s April 18-20 Cap2: 26.2 Rio 22.5 Heaven 21.5 Trans 11.1 pg32

Cruise is the most consistent star-despite what most people say, Hanks is having a nice comeback meanwhile-10 years ago he started to go into a rut after he was considered to be unbeatable.

I agree. The biggest movie stars of the last thirty years in chronological order are probably Harrison Ford followed by Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Johnny Depp, and now Robert Downey Jr. Cruise is definitely the most consistent among these actors.

You know-I can imagine people now making fun of every sci fi set in space after Gravity-I know Transcendence does not (or to my knowledge at least), but I have a strange feeling this will happen.

Gee seems like there is no such thing as a consistent star though anymore.

Still remember though how 10 years ago "Terminal" was a lock for 100M while "Dodgeball" was apparently not going to do well considering the star powers of those 2 films :P

Interstellar will prove you wrong. The Matthew McConaughey/Nolan combo will be too potent.

• Like 4

Depp is a sweetheart.

Fun fact: Depp's daughter took sick around the time of shooting Sweeney Todd and had to go to Great Ormond Street Hospital in London where my sister worked. Anytime Depp was there to visit his daughter my sisters says he came in full Jack Sparrow outfit and saw as many children as he possibly could in character, he did this many times.

• Like 9

Some people were saying he was not for some reason.

Who knows he could come back even.

Who would of thought 10 years ago RDJ would have any star power at all?(as a note 10 years ago people thought Depp was not quite at star power-if I could I find that thread but alas it is gone)

Heck 10 years ago there were those saying Will Smith was not quite at star power-for some reason I remember some saying I, Robot was a question mark.

I agree. The biggest movie stars of the last thirty years in chronological order are probably Harrison Ford followed by Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Johnny Depp, and now Robert Downey Jr. Cruise is definitely the most consistent among these actors.

Hanks and Smith took a long hiatus. That alone killed their star power to an extent.RDJ has 3 monster franchises (Sherlock, Iron Man, Avengers).All Cruise has is Mission Impossible. Other than that he can barely crack 100 m.

Cruise is the most consistent star-despite what most people say, Hanks is having a nice comeback meanwhile-10 years ago he started to go into a rut after he was considered to be unbeatable.

Cruise's recent films are usually saved by overseas.

They tend to make around 60 to 80 million dom though, so that's where they're are very consistent.

Edited by Fancyarcher

Depp is a good guy that s not the problem, the problem is that he seems to be completely bored to death by his work and Hollywood and yet he continues to do movies.

His movies, his acting, everything about Depp, the artist , has become one giant snoozefest.

Before The Proposal Sandra Bullock had perhaps one of the most consistent runs in terms of gross-her films always seem to do around 60-80M for the most part.Same thing with Mr. Washington.

• Like 1

Hanks and Smith took a long hiatus.That alone killed their star power to an extent.RDJ has 3 monster franchises (Sherlock, Iron Man, Avengers).All Cruise has is Mission Impossible. Other than that he can barely crack 100 m.

Please, adjusted, Cruise had a lot of 100m+ films and OS he still delivers enough.

He used to be a giant star, now he s just a big star,but he is still Tom Fucking Cruise.

• Like 3

Hanks and Smith took a long hiatus. That alone killed their star power to an extent.RDJ has 3 monster franchises (Sherlock, Iron Man, Avengers).All Cruise has is Mission Impossible. Other than that he can barely crack 100 m.

You are correct but the point of my post was to highlight that over the years he has been the most consistent. He has cranked out hits regularly since the 80s. Also, I am referring to who are the biggest movie stars in the world at a given time. When Will Smith was at his peak be was bigger than any of the names I previously mentioned. Same with Depp and now RDJ. Cruise just has the best career longevity in terms of consistency.

Before The Proposal Sandra Bullock had perhaps one of the most consistent runs in terms of gross-her films always seem to do around 60-80M for the most part.Same thing with Mr. Washington.

Yes, but Cruise is apparently more popular overseas.

Also some of his recent films aren't necessarily "hits'' but movies that did "respectable business".

Edited by Fancyarcher

Denzel is a safe choice for any movie with a 90-110 budget.Beyond that he would be a risk but studios keep him in the safe zone where he's very reliable.

Yes, but Cruise is apparently more popular overseas.

Also some of his recent films aren't necessarily "hits'' but movies that did "respectable business".

It is because the whole Oprah jump the couch thing was an american phenomenon, it tarnished his image forever in america that s true but outside of the US, Oprah is not that well known and her show is not aired.

Again, look at Cruise's career, very few actors can claim that kind of career in terms of constistency and a list directors.

He only missed Cameron from his era it seems.

Edited by The Futurist

Hanks and Smith took a long hiatus.That alone killed their star power to an extent.RDJ has 3 monster franchises (Sherlock, Iron Man, Avengers).All Cruise has is Mission Impossible. Other than that he can barely crack 100 m.

There's no news of a third Sherlock. And IM and Avengers can't be separated from RDJ's perspective as he is playing IM in Avengers. That character of IM is the big thing he has right now. Would not put him in the same league as Hanks, Smith and Cruise.

Depp has a few big hits out of PoTC too. But he and RDJ are in one category I guess. Those 3 are a few notches above.

• Like 1

It is because the whole Oprah jump the couch thing was an american phenomenon, it tarnished his image forever in america that s true but outside of the US, Oprah is not that well known and her show is not aired.

Again, look at Cruise's career, very few actors can claim that kind of career in terms of constistency and a list directors.

He only missed Cameron from his era it seems.

True.

• Like 1