Fancyarcher

Weekend #'s April 18-20 Cap2: 26.2 Rio 22.5 Heaven 21.5 Trans 11.1 pg32

DiCaprio isn't a draw.  Martin Scorcese is. 

Move along.

You missed a post that said DiCaprio is a draw but not as big as you make him out to be. You really want to say that all movies Scorsese made grossed that much just because of DiCaprio? Yeah, his name doesn't do shit anymore. Especially when it's an Oscar Nominated movie. Then we all say it's because of DiCaprio that the movie got the nominations and therefore got more money at the box office. (and of course, the quality is there also because of DiCaprio)

Edited by ChD

I don't think R. Downey Jr. is as big of a superstar as people make him out to be.  He is similar to Depp in that Tony Stark is his Captain Jack Sparrow, but he doesn't have anywhere near the depth or breadth of success of someone like Hanks or DiCaprio or Cruise or Will Smith when it comes to a variety of roles.  Dramas like The Soloist or Zodiac were not very financially successful.

Edited by Ando918
  • Like 2

That didn't help at all. Scorcese's movies usually are not big hits, with the exception now of Wall Street and Departed. And Departed's box office was probably due to DiCaprio and Damon and Wahlberg.

Scorsese's movies usually weren't big hits. Until he teamed with DiCaprio. Aviator, The Departed, Shutter Island, and WoWS all topped $100m.
  • Like 1

TASM2 made 47M OS from 14 markets. 

Difficult to know whether that's good or bad without more information.

UK, Australia, Germany and Mexico were the main ones this weekend. Rest of Europe is next week followed by the major WW rollout on May 1 (almost all of Asia).

Perhaps the better question would be then: how was it's OW compared to TASM1 in those 4 places?

Perhaps the better question would be then: how was it's OW compared to TASM1 in those 4 places?

Tough to compare since it was a Tuesday/Wednesday opening for TASM1 versus a Wednesday/Thursday opening for TASM2. It seems to be on par for the 4 days it opened this time versus the 5 days it had opened last time. Pretty tough to get a proper comparison due to the weird release schedule.

• Like 1

Tough to compare since it was a Tuesday/Wednesday opening for TASM1 versus a Wednesday/Thursday opening for TASM2. It seems to be on par for the 4 days it opened this time versus the 5 days it had opened last time. Pretty tough to get a proper comparison due to the weird release schedule.

Okay, good answer, thanks.

Hope Cap can stretch that to 4 

Cap is going to come in around 15M next weekend.

That probably won't be quite good enough for first place, but it might be close. I don't think anyone is predicting 30M for The Other Woman, but I see lots of predictions in the 15-20 range.

Exhibitor Relations @ERCboxoffice 47m

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 debuted overseas in 14 markets w/ $47M. UK ($15M) MEX ($11M) GER ($6.2M) OZ ($5.2M)

I don't think R. Downey Jr. is as big of a superstar as people make him out to be.  He is similar to Depp in that Tony Stark is his Captain Jack Sparrow, but he doesn't have anywhere near the depth or breadth of success of someone like Hanks or DiCaprio or Cruise or Will Smith when it comes to a variety of roles.  Dramas like The Soloist or Zodiac were not very financially successful.

Zodiac came out pre Iron Man.  It was part his quality/becoming a reliable rebuilding era that included Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Good Night, Good Luck.  This a period where he was doing more interesting work as an actor vs his current niche as amazingly charismatic star.

It hasn't even been 6 full years since Iron Man opened and he's had three Iron Men, The Avengers, two Sherlock Holmes (that did better than anyone thought possible especially with Ritchie directing) and two comedies that have done financially well, and he elevated and pretty much carried Tropic Of Thunder with his well deserved Oscar nom performance.

The Soloist came out in 2009 and was a mediocre film - to be polite - that was filmed before Iron Man hit.  It's more Foxx's movie and showcase and it's not a good performance.  It didn't get much an international release.  

I think The Judge will be his first test at a drama as a lead with his new found super stardom.  I'm interested to see how it plays and though I love Duvall watching RDJ with Nicholson would have been a blast.

• Like 4

That probably won't be quite good enough for first place, but it might be close. I don't think anyone is predicting 30M for The Other Woman, but I see lots of predictions in the 15-20 range.

The Other Woman seems to have opened really well in Australia according to the Australia numbers thread. May hit 3M OW apparently. That is very strong, and no explanation as to why. Easter obviously helped, but 3M is a pretty strong number.

I think Cap can do around $18m with a post 35% Easter Drop. It could do better and drop 30% - not unusual for that w/e.  OW though might do more than $20m.

Edited by TalismanRing

Rdj needs to make an iron man 4 with the mandarin. Disney needs to push another iron man over stuff like Dr. Strange and Ant man. Stick with the things that'll make money. Thor, iron man, hulk, and captain america.

You are forgetting that all those properties were risky in the beginning.   You don't want to turn into WB and be afraid to take any risks as you ride Superman and Batman for decades.   New properties don't appear by magic (heh...Dr Strange), someone has to take a chance on them.   Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

This comment actually made me laugh. Funny that's coming from the guy whose arguments aren't even explained (Lone Ranger was not being marketed as a Gore Verbinski film but as a film from the director of Pirates of the Caribbean - What fucking difference does it make? Please enlighten me...)

I think it makes a big difference.   Before reading this thread I had no idea who directed the PotC movies (didn't care).   I'm betting that most of the GA will have a light bulb go off in their heads much more from "the director of ______" than "insert director's name here".   Some think Nolan is a household name, but even his films carry the "from the director of _____" tag.   Didn't that even happen to Cameron when Avatar came out?   Can't remember exactly but I thought it was "from the director of Titanic".

The reason this is true in this case especially is pretty obvious to me.   ...Because the studio decided to list PotC instead of the director's name.   There is a reason why they made that choice, no?

• Like 2

Spielberg, Cameron, Nolan and Tarantino are probably the only directors whose names alone can sell a movie to a decent-sized audience these days. Scorsese is definitely better known today than ever before, but if his films were only seen by those who know who he is, they would never cross $50m domestic.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 3