grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

38 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Happy for Greta and happy for all the naysayers eating crow

Major box office and potentially a third consecutive Best Picture nominee

In terms of Oscars, I think production design, costumes and hair/makeup nominations are a lock now. Maybe even original song for Just Ken.

Margot Robbie went with her husband at the Mattel office to ask them the rights for a movie (according to a The new Yorker article), so She wanted to be Barbie.

Of course She was well aware you can't make a live action Barbie movie there Is like one of these animated movie about the doll. 

This is the reason why, according to the same article, She was the one (not Warner first) to call Gerwig to ask her if she was interested. During the lockdown gerwig began to write the movie and sent to robbie some ideas (at this point the famous story: "they will not let us doing this movie") but Mattel was like: "ok let's try It".

• Like 1

I have a difficult relationship with Felipe Neto. He is arguably one of the most influential people in Brazil and he was instrumental like several other people, including the fucking Avengers to help and secure Brazil’s democracy last year.

With that said, whenever he is talking about anything that isn’t politics I’m like this gif:

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

It did not sell on her though, as discussed recently. That marketing campaign was all about Joker. Smith to a lesser extent maybe, though his star was not the brightest at the time. It was very apparent how much she wasn’t a big draw there when they put her front and center in two subsequent commercial bombs… 

Harley wasnt a big part of the marketing campaign for suicide squad??!?! What?!? What the fuck are you talking about?!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Robbie is probably the most shocked with all of this. I bet she thought Harley Quinn seemed like this “cool/trendy” role that would bring her the big mainstream popularity, while likely scoffing at the initial thought of playing Barbie. I think she even said something about having loved the script when she read it, but also dismissing it as not having any chance of actually getting made. 

What the hell have I just read. You really think Harley is more popular than playing fucking Barbie lol? That’s like saying Evans expected to get popular with Human Torch instead of Captain America ten times fold, since Barbie is obviously more popular than Captain America back in the day.

5 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Thank god this is not a Disney movie as there would have been thousands of hate videos on YouTube and the flood of hate comments on Twitter if this were a Disney movie and not a WB movie.

It’s just absolutely crazy how this is true. Me and others give you a lot of hell in a lot of crazy shit you say here, but you are 100% right here. If this was the exact same film made by Disney, it’d endure a barrage of a hate campaign even before it was out.

Following film has become a lot like watching sports and I really dislike that.

5 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Thank god this is not a Disney movie as there would have been thousands of hate videos on YouTube and the flood of hate comments on Twitter if this were a Disney movie and not a WB movie.

Well that's not a problem since Disney is not making that kind of movies anymore.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stephanos13 said:

Well that's not a problem since Disney is not making that kind of movies anymore.

Social media exacerbated a tribalism and competition among studios that is just asinine. Follow directors, actors, writers, people. Not fucking studios.

9 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Social media exacerbated a tribalism and competition among studios that is just asinine. Follow directors, actors, writers, people. Not fucking studios.

Who is hiring those directos, writers and actors to make their movies?

So yes the studio has a lot to say.

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

I have a difficult relationship with Felipe Neto. He is arguably one of the most influential people in Brazil and he was instrumental like several other people, including the fucking Avengers to help and secure Brazil’s democracy last year.

With that said, whenever he is talking about anything that isn’t politics I’m like this gif:

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Did this MF really say that 88% on RT is... bad?

• Like 2