grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

10 minutes ago, Redolent said:

Greta: this movie is a surprising spicy margarita 

Margot: this movie is surprisingly deep

People in this thread: there is zero to be surprised about, we know what’s coming from the trailers…

In seriousness, the movie probably isn’t for kids, not because it’s inappropriate, but because it might be thematically too mature for young children. ‘Occasionally overwhelmed by ideas’ per Time.

how "occasionally overwhelmed by ideas" is connected to being not good for kids?

it's a movie for the families with some soft double sense joke for adults and that's all. It's promoted as movie for families with merchandising for little girls and specials on cartoon network, promos before animated movies. Also again. Greta said i written and directed this movie to be for everyone from 8 to 108. Why you people insist so much at being not for the kids?.

Kids can like something a little bit demential. There is nothing for adults in the trailers.

seems like you all have a sense of protection cause this should be more for girls than boys. I really don't understand in a world of pg 13 families movies full of violence (marvel movies) and animated movies full of jokes for the adults (even sexual soft jokes) how this movie it's suddenly not for kids. Why do you see in the trailer? I really don't get it. 

Edited by vale9001

5 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

If only, but that has not been my experience at all. The middle-aged fake baby truthers going on about moonbumps and photoshopped children, the period costume purists still bitterly fuming about the Beauty and the Beast/Little Women remakes, the racists unhappy about the Bridgerton adaptation: they very much exist, they just don't show up in the same fanboy spaces where people rant about The Last Jedi or the ruination of the DCEU or whatever.

There's a longtime female awards pundit who spent the Lady Bird and Little Women awards seasons HATING Gerwig and trashing her movies (and dismissing that anyone genuinely liked them). If you don't care for someone's work, fine, but here and there she'd make these comments about the Gerwig/Baumbach relationship and Jennifer Jason Leigh. So, it was really an entertainment journalist holding a grudge about how two people she didn't know allegedly got together, and letting that opinion affect how she did her job. It's definitely not just older men who can go on bitter screeds and dip into conspiracy theories about the entertainment world.

Anyway, I think the Barbie trailers/ads make it clear that this film is dealing with slightly more mature areas compared to all those direct-to-video movies Mattel churned out. This Barbie might stay the night with Ken, he makes "beat off" jokes, she thinks about death, she goes to the real world and someone smacks her butt. Yet some people just can't get past the brand, see all the bright colors and think any Barbie movie = fun for all ages. They have an idea of what a Barbie movie is supposed to be like, so don't really see/hear what this movie is signaling itself to be.

I know which pundit you’re talking about and she’s gone off her rocker even more as of late. 

This movie seems  a jurassic park for little girls.

But a movie with soft horror scenes, dinosaurs eating people is for families and for the boys who plays with  dinosaurs toys...barbie could be disturbing for sexual soft jokes when the scenario of the movie seems perfectly build to enchant little girls. 

Okaaaaay. ...

Edited by vale9001

19 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

how "occasionally overwhelmed by ideas" is connected to being not good for kids?

it's a movie for the families with some soft double sense joke for adults and that's all. It's promoted as movie for families with merchandising for little girls and specials on cartoon network, promos before animated movies. Also again. Greta said i written and directed this movie to be for everyone from 8 to 108. Why you people insist so much at being not for the kids?.

Kids can like something a little bit demential. There is nothing for adults in the trailers.

seems like you all have a sense of protection cause this should be more for girls than boys. I really don't understand in a world of pg 13 families movies full of violence (marvel movies) and animated movies full of jokes for the adults (even sexual soft jokes) how this movie it's suddenly not for kids. Why do you see in the trailer? I really don't get it. 

The movie is full of ‘ideas’, touching on issues of feminism, capitalism, fascism and existentialism. It’s written by Gerwig and Baumbach. As stated by Baumbach, it’s inspired by the world of “White Noise”, a previous movie they worked on together which was very zany and ideologically complex. Multiple reviewers on Reddit who have loved the movie have commented that kids wouldn’t ‘get it’ and it’s not really for them.

Of course the marketing is trying to get families on board for a massive first week. Mattel and Warner are also saying it’s not a feminist movie (because that’s the smart commercial note), unlike the entire cast. There is a contradiction there within the production of the movie.

It’s easy enough - you insist it’s a family movie, i and others think there will be probably be a hefty second weekend drop as many families leave the movie disengaged. Not long to go.

Edited by Redolent

The marketing has in no way implied this is targeted at families, and families have not been the ones fueling the hype and interest all these months. It will be perfectly fine even if families spread word that it’s “not for their kids.” If it does happen to get the family demo too, then great, probably gonna be more of a box office beast than even I have thought. 

Not to mention parents forfeit any right to whine about a movie not being “appropriate” for their kids when it’s rated pg-13. That’s literally the whole point of that rating and why it was created in the first place. It means “may not be appropriate for under 13, parents use your own judgment.” 

I like how the only person who has seen the film in here is saying the film is perfectly fine for kids yet we still have this talk here

It's a colorful and silly film for the most part at the end of the day. It's ok if kids don't get every joke and double meaning as long as it doesn't bore them. Kids are not that dumb, y'all.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The marketing has in no way implied this is targeted at families, and families have not been the ones fueling the hype and interest all these months. It will be perfectly fine even if families spread word that it’s “not for their kids.” If it does happen to get the family demo too, then great, probably gonna be more of a box office beast than even I have thought. 

Yes in no way implied this is for Kids.

This why there are entire sections on Toy stores for the Barbie movie with merchandising for children and TV backstages of the movie aired on cartoon network. 

A 10 years old girl Who watched the Barbie trailer just said to her parents i want to see It like a boy with a spider man trailer. Trust me. 

Edited by vale9001

So now movies not specifically targeted at kids can’t cash in on merch? Of course there will be toys for a movie called Barbie. Again, the movie is pg-13, they are making it obvious with that alone it’s not explicitly a “kid’s movie.” Parent’s own fault if they get upset it’s not “appropriate” for their 8 year old. 

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So now movies not specifically targeted at kids can’t cash in on merch? Of course there will be toys for a movie called Barbie. Again, the movie is pg-13, they are making it obvious with that alone it’s not explicitly a “kid’s movie.” Parent’s own fault if they get upset it’s not “appropriate” for their 8 year old. 

If a movie has a Blow up of Its characters on a Toy store is specifically target also at Kids.

Some of you are trying to sell the idea this movie is like an adult attempt at Barbie, like "the horror movie version of snow White" or "the new Scooby dopo for adults on HBO max". 

No. It's a movie targeted to Kids and families too, like PG 13 movies from Marvel to Jurassic world and Harry Potter are. Pg13 literally means a kid with a parent, aka a family. 

Then of course it'a risk for a parent, i have seen a lot of Little kid yawning at some Marvel movie or being scared for a pirates of the carribean or Harry Potter scene. Still movies for families, and still some child scared doesn't mean the movies have not been liked. You all are talking of families walking out from this movies cause it's a Barbie only for adults. It's not from everthing we have seen, read (including an user here) and seeing how the movie Is marketised.

Just because adults are talking about this movie doesn't mean Little girls are not interested, Simply they are not on the internet! 

If they build a product Is also appealing for adults and not only Kids good for them, reason 100M  plus OW Is likely coming like for Marvel, hp and pirates. But again families will arrive too, they just are not on the internet right now. Previews are not so strong only because a specific adult target. 

Kids are gonna watch the damn Barbie movie lmao, this is unreasonable. 

however, i do have slight concerns for legs past the second weekend because it might behave like a "be here or don't" event film. however, if it can (a) have a lot more family viewing than I anticipate or (b) inject itself into the cultural conversation in a very specific way that isn't as inflammatory among movie-goers ala Joker then this shouldn't be a concern.

Edited by Bobzaruni

1 hour ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I know which pundit you’re talking about and she’s gone off her rocker even more as of late. 

And to think her site's motto used to be, "The trick is not minding." She'll reach new levels of insufferable if Barbie becomes a major awards player.

37 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not to mention parents forfeit any right to whine about a movie not being “appropriate” for their kids when it’s rated pg-13. That’s literally the whole point of that rating and why it was created in the first place. It means “may not be appropriate for under 13, parents use your own judgment.” 

That's because the G rating is virtually dead for all but stuff like Paw Patrol movies. PG is practically the new G, so too many parents see PG-13 for a big IP/franchise movie as "totally fine for kids". Then actual PG-13 stuff happens in Eternals or Multiverse of Madness (for example), and there's so much shock, because the rating has been devalued.

I'm old enough to remember when they made a kid friendly RoboCop animated show; it didn't make the original movie any less R rated.

18 minutes ago, Bobzaruni said:

Kids are gonna watch the damn Barbie movie lmao, this is unreasonable. 

however, i do have slight concerns for legs past the second weekend because it might behave like a "be here or don't" event film. however, if it can (a) have a lot more family viewing than I anticipate or (b) inject itself into the cultural conversation in a very specific way that isn't as inflammatory among movie-goers ala Joker then this shouldn't be a concern.

It's an event. There's no stopping this train. It'll open big. It has no direct competition for weeks. It'll be very profitable for WB kids or not.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Maggie said:

People still *hoping* this will disappoint are in denial

yeah goalpost shifting is hilarious. will be too political...oh wait it isn't too political well then will be too mature for kids..oh wait it isn't too mature for kids either...

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Maggie said:

People still *hoping* this will disappoint are in denial

Now the first weekend is gonna be big big they switched to "100M Ow but 170M Total, WOM will be terribile cause the movie could be unserious and with too much jokes and it's not Barbie rapunzel princess of Arendelle" 🤣

We know the modern audience hates a blockbuster with a gag! 😇

Edited by vale9001

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Reminder that parents had no problem with Avatar movies that feature blue almost naked people, butts in thongs, nipple slips and a brief sex scene in the first movie. 

Oh shit how did I quote myself? I wanted to quote someone else :facepalm:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, joselowe said:

You literally can’t say one slightly critical thing about this movie without being attacked in here and reported. Wish these mods were in the TLM thread! 

I mean I haven't been in this thread in a long time. I'm very, very busy with my personal life and I don't recall anybody reporting any posts in here, so I have had no reason until now, when I'm finally about to have my day off, that I can check up on this thread.

But I will say that the TLM would have been a lot cleaner and full of less trolls if you simply reported posts you felt were breaking the rules and making things more unbearable. Some users did and I was able to fix that, but the staff can't always be in every thread at every time. I work in retail and almost never get the chance to check on the forums outside of lunch and bathroom breaks. If you report a post, that means that somebody on the staff will, at the very least, be aware of a potential problem and try to see if they can give out needed repercussions. It's certainly better than complaining about how "unfair" things are when we have rules in place that can make things easy and fair for everybody.