CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

Ugh, this is why I dislike fanboys (not just Marvel, but those that generally have blinders on). Don't compare MoS with Phase 2 movies (though it still comes out pretty damn good there as well), but against Phase 1 movies. And TASM2 is definitely a big stumble, but its WW numbers will definitely save it. 

I don't think the Phase 1 movies are a good comparison either, since those characters were largely unknown at that point while Superman was a formerly successful franchise trying to recapture some of that juju

But yeah I agree with most of your post

• Like 2

Ugh, this is why I dislike fanboys (not just Marvel, but those that generally have blinders on). Don't compare MoS with Phase 2 movies (though it still comes out pretty damn good there as well), but against Phase 1 movies. And TASM2 is definitely a big stumble, but its WW numbers will definitely save it. And I genuinely can't fucking wait for Marvel to start experiencing franchise fatigue - because it WILL happen sooner or later, and I will be eagerly anticipating the excuses coming from those who now dismiss Spidey or Superman as failures.

Superman and Spider-Man are on a whole different level when it comes to people's knowledge of comic book heroes . The fact that iron man destroys them ,captain America and thor are up there and the avengers( a team of superheroes that no studio wanted to buy from marvel ) is the third biggest movie ever speaks for itself, when it comes to marvel's achievements , whether people like it or not . "Franchise fatigue " ? Marvel has already released a ton of movies and they do better and better and will continue to do so .If marvel had Spider-Man , the reboot they would make would easily pass 1 billion ww with the sky being the limit for its sequels, while you can bet that we would have a similar result for marvel-made Xmen movies .You don't hate fanboys, you just hate the truth which is that only marvel studios knows how to make movies with comic book heroes and they begun in 2006 so they are in the business 8 years. With avengers 2 coming keep waiting for franchise fatigue, though I believe GOTG will shock a lot of people with its Box office results .
  • Like 2

It's not a matter of the genre dying - though that will happen eventually (it's all cyclical). It's silly to expect it to die out within two decades, when it's really only reached its current height less than a decade ago. I'm speaking of certain characters getting worn out. What happens with the 6th (or 7th or whatever) Iron Man movie, when RDJ steps down? Are you confident that it won't experience a TASM-like drop? 

Oh god save me if anymore iron man movies come out.  The 3rd was the biggest sell on what just happened for the avengers. That movie sucked ass. So bad. I mean I still give it a 7 cuz it was entertaining but all I have to say is Guy Pearce shooting fire balls and Gwyneth paltrow saving the day.  Feel really good about that marvel fanboys.  Cap 2 was great. But lets see what DC has in store, I think its going to be amazing, but that's just me.  And yes I did like MoS a lot.  

• Like 1

After TA no-one can really say Cap and Thor are 'unknown' anymore. They got huge exposure and their sequels have performed accordingly.

No-one would like SH movies take a very long break more than me, but Marvel are too good at this now to let that happen anytime soon. When even Thor 2 can cruise past 600m you know the cycle is far from over.

Is it officially 35?

Never official.  The number will be between 33-35.  RTH gave us that update late so it's pretty accurate.  

• Like 1

Superman and Spider-Man are on a whole different level when it comes to people's knowledge of comic book heroes . The fact that iron man destroys them ,captain America and thor are up there and the avengers( a team of superheroes that no studio wanted to buy from marvel ) is the third biggest movie ever speaks for itself, when it comes to marvel's achievements , whether people like it or not . "Franchise fatigue " ? Marvel has already released a ton of movies and they do better and better and will continue to do so .

If marvel had Spider-Man , the reboot they would make would easily pass 1 billion ww with the sky being the limit for its sequels, while you can bet that we would have a similar result for marvel-made Xmen movies .

You don't hate fanboys, you just hate the truth which is that only marvel studios knows how to make movies with comic book heroes and they begun in 2006 so they are in the business 8 years. With avengers 2 coming keep waiting for franchise fatigue, though I believe GOTG will shock a lot of people with its Box office results .

Posted Image

MOS is a box office success but a failure from a quality point of view. 

CA2 did well on both accounts, so its the bigger success.

ASM2 looks to be doing a THor 2. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Ugh, this is why I dislike fanboys (not just Marvel, but those that generally have blinders on). Don't compare MoS with Phase 2 movies (though it still comes out pretty damn good there as well), but against Phase 1 movies. And TASM2 is definitely a big stumble, but its WW numbers will definitely save it. 

And I genuinely can't fucking wait for Marvel to start experiencing franchise fatigue - because it WILL happen sooner or later, and I will be eagerly anticipating the excuses coming from those who now dismiss Spidey or Superman as failures.

Franchise fatigue makes sense for Spiderman not Superman. 

• Like 1

Franchise fatigue makes sense for Spiderman not Superman. 

It's not franchise fatigue...more like reboot and history rehashing fatigue.

When you follow a successful, hence objectively (by the numbers) beloved franchise why rehashing the same story with your own twist?  

By doing so, you just invite even more the comparison for better or worse and therefore increase the chance of a sizable audience target to be unimpressed and let down.  Most 20+ years old rememberred clearly the Raimy's trilogy. That's a lot of people who will compare the different versions of the same story...it's therefore likely that many of them will prefer one over the other and won't feel invested in this new version.

I said, go on with the story instead of rehasing and inviting more comparison.  If they had done this from the get go instead of retelling the origin story, instead of re-introducing the Goblin, they would have been more successful dealing with new characters in a more coherent way and lessen that comparison effect.  

Just advance into the story, deepen it, enriched it instead of retelling it on your own terms..

Edited by Ent
  • Like 1

I know what would happen if Marvel decided to make an IRON MAN lV.

It depends if its a new actor then a big drop.

If it still RDJ then it will still fly past a billion WW . 

It depends if its a new actor then a big drop.

If it still RDJ then it will still fly past a billion WW . 

It would drop even if it starred RDJ, imo. 1 B might still happen though. Small amount of money. lol

Edited by kayumanggi

It would drop even if it starred RDJ, imo. 1 B might still happen though. Small money. lol

I think it would do a pirates 4 overseas still, Im is still very popular there. 

Sat

TASM2 33.8-35,TOW 6,CATWS/HIR 3.6,Rio2 3.5

At first glance that looks like a small increase for TOW but looking back on What Happens in Vegas, it only went up by 21% on it's second Saturday, so I guess this is par for the course.