CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

TDK was the first sequel, a proper comp is TDKR.  It dropped 61.4% compared to SM3's 61.5%  It also had zero competition in its second week.  

However, it stabalized in its 3rd and 4th weekends where SM3 didn't.  Part of that was because of Shrek 3 and Pirates 3.  

I'm not saying it missed out on $50-60m or anything, but a fair guess would be $15-20m easy.  

Yep, maybe $350-355m or so without those movies. But it definitely doomed its own fate. It had enough time and easy competition those first two weeks to rack up some crazy money and be a lock for $400m no matter what came out 3-4 weeks later.

Really? I read what you said. $64m in weekday money vs. $31m in weekday money. If you don't understand how that affects the second weekend demand, then I'm not sure what to say other than "whatever dude."

Because, you quoted the first line from above while ignoring what I said below about it missing out on maybe $15-20m.  Then you turn around and reply to someone else saying it might have made $350-355m without the competition(which is 336 + 15)!  I know the legs on that one were fucking terrible, but huge $100m openers will hurt anything, two in successive weeks are pretty brutal for any movie regardless of WOM.

Would Avengers have made it to a 3 multi if there were 2 other movies that opened in May to more than $100m?

Where's this Spider-Man 3 argument going, by the way? I thought maybe it was in relation to ASM2's possible legs, but Iron Man is the only summer opener in recent memory that didn't implode in the face of competition.

IM3 barely held better than SM3 in the end, and IM2 would have been right in the same territory if the Memorial Day openers in 2010 weren't the pits. Given how things look this year, I actually don't think there's a chance ASM2 gets a 2.4 multiplier.

I was only saying that SM3 had two huge competitors open in its wake and they made already bad legs even worse.  

Because, you quoted the first line from above while ignoring what I said below about it missing out on maybe $15-20m.  Then you turn around and reply to someone else saying it might have made $350-355m without the competition(which is 336 + 15)!  I know the legs on that one were fucking terrible, but huge $100m openers will hurt anything, two in successive weeks are pretty brutal for any movie regardless of WOM.

Would Avengers have made it to a 3 multi if there were 2 other movies that opened in May to more than $100m?

Did you give a report for your theater?

You said I hadn't read anything you wrote. I chose to single out the idiotic comparison of SM3/TDKR weekend drops given the drastic difference in weekday money between the two. I didn't disagree with the rest of your post and I did read it. I'm not good at double quoting, so I left out the rest of your post and didn't respond to it.

You said I hadn't read anything you wrote. I chose to single out the idiotic comparison of SM3/TDKR weekend drops given the drastic difference in weekday money between the two. I didn't disagree with the rest of your post and I did read it. I'm not good at double quoting, so I left out the rest of your post and didn't respond to it.

HA!  You were the one comparing TDK and SM3 which is the same damn thing, lol.  I just moved it to TDKR because they are both second sequels.  

The smaller opening could help it compared to movies like IM3. Going to be very interesting to see how it holds up with Godzilla/X-Men targeting the same demographic. Also curious to see how the screen count will be affected.

I'm not optimistic. 55+% drops for these superhero films are pretty much a given; Thor 2 dropped 57% even when the major opener it faced couldn't possibly target a different demo. It'll be two more 50% drops after that, and the competition in the two weeks post Memorial Day is also strong, stronger than last year.

WOM also seems even more mixed than it was for IM3 or Thor 2.

Edited by Biggestgeekever
  • Like 1

HA!  You were the one comparing TDK and SM3 which is the same damn thing, lol.  I just moved it to TDKR because they are both second sequels.  

I compared it to TDK because that movie had gigantic weekdays and STILL dropped sub-53%.

Edited by redfirebird2008

I am kind of chuckling reading all of these complaints about the movie. I feel like I want you to defend it because I enjoyed it so much more than you guys but at the same time I'm loving this because this is how I felt about the first one. So this is KARMA. FUCK YOU SONY for such a shit first movie. Your sins will be atoned for with this movie.

• Like 4

I am kind of chuckling reading all of these complaints about the movie. I feel like I want you to defend it because I enjoyed it so much more than you guys but at the same time I'm loving this because this is how I felt about the first one. So this is KARMA. FUCK YOU SONY for such a shit first movie. Your sins will be atoned for with this movie.

WTF...lol

:rofl:
  • Like 4

Still don't understand the hatred for ASM1. Was there a lot of redundancy? Yeah. But other than it was a perfectly average movie. Nothing offensive about it. Baumer's rants are pretty damn funny though, I have to admit.

Edited by redfirebird2008

Going to see ASM2 later today with my cousins...but for now I will watch Cloverfield, the best monster movie of all time.

D: BETRAYER! ((Everyone knows Gojira is the best one.))

lol man I think you have some crazy view of TASM floating around in your head that keeps getting worse over time and now it's like turned into The Happening or something. TASM is fine and not that terrible at all :lol: In regards to paying for past mistakes...I don't think Spider-man has fully recovered from SM3's hate from fans yet. TASM had definite mixed wom, but SM3 hate seems way more harsh still.
  • Like 1