#ED

Tuesday Actuals 5/6/14: TASM2 - 6.24M

Spidey is family fare. It wont drop over 60%. THE WORD OF MOUTH ISN'T BAD. There are a lot of people that still haven't watched it. They will show up this weekend. I can see it having a drop similar or smaller than cap's 2nd weekend.

Captain 2 dropped 57% with great WOM. ASM2 has mixed wom at best. 60% is the floor imo.
  • Like 1

MOS drop was 64.6 % (67.8 % if you add those 12 millions).  

So sinceTASM2 is considered the MOS of this year, meaning the divisive CBM of the year, i think MOS kinda drop is expected...a little bit better cause it opened lower and has that family effect...so 63% is where it is likely to drop.

Edited by Ent

MOS dropped was 64.6 % (67.8 % if you add those 12 millions). So sinceTASM2 is considered the MOS of this year, meaning the divisive CBM of the year, i think MOS kinda drop is expected...a little bit better cause it opened lower and has that family effect...so 63% is where it is likely to drop.

Well there's still Guardians to watch...MoS faced 2 movies that opened to 150M combined. Not to mention the inflated Father's Day Sunday.MoS comparisons do not work with TASM2.
  • Like 2

Well there's still Guardians to watch...MoS faced 2 movies that opened to 150M combined. Not to mention the inflated Father's Day Sunday.MoS comparisons do not work with TASM2.

Unless people are expecting NEIGHBORS to open to 150 M. lol

• Like 2

MOS dropped was 64.6 % (67.8 % if you add those 12 millions).  

So sinceTASM2 is considered the MOS of this year, meaning the divisive CBM of the year, i think MOS kinda drop is expected...a little bit better cause it opened lower and has that family effect...so 63% is where it is likely to drop.

has been mentioned a few times before.

1) mos had summer weekdays - mon to thu were, 12.5 + 11.5 + 9 + 7 = 40m..almost same as the 41m 2nd weekend gross

2) it's sunday on ow was father's day. fell 0% from saturday. so in the 2nd weekend sunday to sunday drop was inflated to 65% (sat to sat drop was 55%)

edit:

easy to say now but imo wb f'ed up the scheduling.

after memorial day weekend, the next 2 weekends had:

1) After Earth(27m), Now You See Me(29m), 2nd weekend of FF6(35m)

2) The Purge(34m), The Internship(17m)

mos should have moved up and taken one of these weekends. though then one of wwz and mu would have moved up and taken mos's old spot, but mos still would have had more breathing room.

Edited by a2k

I don't think anyone expected that big of an increase. Regardless I still think a 65% is a bit too much.

@ED, I never did caught your reaction after you'd seen it. What did you think of the sequel?

We just rented and saw the 1st TASM with the family, and I thought it was just all over the place with lots of cringe worthy moments.

Captain 2 dropped 57% with great WOM. ASM2 has mixed wom at best. 60% is the floor imo.

I don't think WOM is all that bad. Regardless, it's Spider Man and people will still check it out at least once.

I don't think WOM is all that bad. Regardless, it's Spider Man and people will still check it out at least once.

Spiderman 3 was Spidey too and it had one of the biggest second week drops ever at the time.
  • Like 1

Spiderman 3 was Spidey too and it had one of the biggest second week drops ever at the time.

I agree. But this isn't nearly as poorly received by the fans. It was pretty close to unanimous that Spidey 3 was awful.

Edited by ECSTASY

Once is going to do it for most this time around....if WOM doesn't stop them altogether.

WOM isn't good...it may not be that bad but TASM fans are using measured vocabulary. That much is noticeable.

• Like 1

Once is going to do it for most this time around....if WOM doesn't stop them altogether.

WOM isn't good...it may not be that bad but TASM fans are using measured vocabulary. That much is noticeable.

Well my point is that it's not bad enough to crash and burn in its 2nd weekend. At least that's what I'm seeing so far. We'll see.

• Like 3

Spidey is family fare. It wont drop over 60%. THE WORD OF MOUTH ISN'T BAD. There are a lot of people that still haven't watched it. They will show up this weekend. I can see it having a drop similar or smaller than cap's 2nd weekend.

FF films were family fare, SM3 was family fare, GL was family fare, bB&R was family fare Edited by Goffe Rises

I think the Tuesday number spoke well of what people must be hearing that stretches far beyond just a discounted ticket. Since we're comparing with Cap, he only enjoyed a 12% bump that first Tuesday. Spider-man tends to be more of a family friendly character, so I think we could see better (or equally as good) numbers than Cap for that second weekend, especially given that some people stayed away opening weekend. WOM has been a tough one to gauge because it's a polarizing movie. But it seems to favor Spider-man on the good more than the bad. So the curiosity factor is still in play for those who didn't see it, while the ones who loved it are going back. I don't expect the Wednesday number to be anything more than a isolated retraction based on elevated business from yesterday. Now if the drop is relatively low, this could mark a new trend worthy of being looked at. But either way, I think the second weekend is still in play. I don't believe the general public has fully weighed in given the 'love it' or 'hate it 'reviews. So a overall consensus is still in play.

• Like 2

Deadline Hollywood @Deadline 1 hr

‘Amazing Spider-Man 2′ Crosses $100M Domestically; Over $400M Worldwide http://dlvr.it/5blDQK 

Five days to 100m like TASM. SM1 did it in 3, SM2 did it in 4 and SM3 did it in 2.

Webb's genius and power as an auteur cannot be undervalued. Much like how some of Kubrick's best work was unappreciated at the time...

He's a very good with personal interactions... Those last 20 minutes were really good...(He's still no Nolan)