lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

13 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

Comicbook.com says the movie has been rated PG-13, which is what most everyone was expecting it to be.

Interesting. I was surely expecting an "R for crude and sexual content throughout, graphic nudity, pervasive language, and drug use - all involving teens." 

• Like 7

Or maybe Lionsgate it unsure how to sell what they think is a huge turkey to the general public.

And as for the Power Rangers fans.....I try to be tolerant and have a sort of "whatever turns you on" attitude,but I admit wonderment on why any adult would be a heavy duty Power Ranger fan....

18 hours ago, dudalb said:

Or maybe Lionsgate it unsure how to sell what they think is a huge turkey to the general public.

And as for the Power Rangers fans.....I try to be tolerant and have a sort of "whatever turns you on" attitude,but I admit wonderment on why any adult would be a heavy duty Power Ranger fan....

And they swear to god that the general public have 'nostalgia' for the original Mighty Morphin series specifically, and that this thing is gonna be huge because of it being based on that specific iteration.

I dont see how this thing being related to the original show would increase sales at all. It holds no weight over any other iteration of the show. When I was growing up there were 3 versions of the show being broadcast and I couldn't tell them apart. I've seen some of a newer version and it's still the same exact thing, no adult is gonna call a different iteration of Power Rangers 'bad' because it isn't Mighty Morphin. Do these fans actually think that most people that saw the original show can even remember the names of the characters in the costume? Do they think people in their 20's and 30's can differentiate between the rangers from MMPR and Power Rangers Extreme Samurai MegaDrive? The franchise is so devoid of change and character that I can't believe that there's people out here that would argue that any iteration of PR is better, worse or more appealing than another.

No one is sitting there going "Im only gonna pay to watch a Power Rangers movie because it's 'Mighty Morphin'". The whole thing is mind boggling. Their fandom is just fascinating to me.  

Today is one of the first two release dates that were scheduled for this film (the other was July 22, 2016) before the current March 24, 2017, release date.  Meanwhile, the tweet drought continues on the official movie account, as the last thing they mentioned was that VR experience.  Could this movie actually have less action than the 1995 Fox film, since this is an origin story, or perhaps, the movie will feel more like a waiting game to see the Rangers in action?  In the 1995 film, the Rangers were fighting a short time after the opening credits.  Here, they have to establish the Ranger characters, Rita, Zordon, and others before giving the Rangers their powers.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:29 PM, dudalb said:

Just curious: what is so different between being an adult MMPR fan and a Superman, Captain America, Captain Marvel or Wonder Woman fan? They are all basically power fantasies about superpowered people wearing colorful uniforms and fighting superpowered villains wearing colorful uniforms. Seems to me like too many people look down on MMPR fans while thinking that it's cool to like your run-of-the-mill superhero from Marvel or DC.

Edited by Moviesareawesomegirl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Moviesareawesomegirl said:

Just curious: what is so different between being an adult MMPR fan and a Superman, Captain America, Captain Marvel or Wonder Woman fan? They are all basically power fantasies about superpowered people wearing colorful uniforms and fighting superpowered villains wearing colorful uniforms. Seems to me like too many people look down on MMPR fans while thinking that it's cool to like your run-of-the-mill superhero from Marvel or DC.

Because unlike those properties MMPR has no substance for kids or adults. It's done nothing in it's core series to change that. It provides nothing of value for even children, outside of bright colours and big robots, and it's dead set on not trying to. 

Don't get me wrong there's tons of kids properties that adults are fans of that are completely understandable to me. Well thought out shows like Avatar, Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, and Steven Universe. Honestly kids shows today are better written than the shows I had growing up. The latest Ninja Turtles show blows Power Rangers out the water and that's because actual effort went into crafting the thing, rather than some poor editor trying to piece Japanese stock footage to barely fit whatever sembelnce of a story a writer cobbled together on his iPhone email app.

Shit, I could write an episode right now: I'll even underline every story element that can be changed for something even more bland every episode too

"Johnny (or Jessica, or whatever it doesn't matter) is nervous about the big tournament and hides it from his friends. Villain on the moon sends a minion to earth. The Rangers are called into action, Johnny sets aside his nerves and joins them. Rangers fight generic group of minions. Rangers fight main minion. Red Ranger notices Johnny is nervous, tells him not to be. Johnny is no longer nervous. Rangers defeat main minion. Main minion turns into a giant. Rangers get into their toys. Rangers fight giant minion in their toy. Rangers win, Johnny goes home and wins the tournament". 

Tell Saban to pay me.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AJG said:

Because unlike those properties MMPR has no substance for kids or adults. It's done nothing in it's core series to change that. It provides nothing of value for even children, outside of bright colours and big robots, and it's dead set on not trying to. 

Don't get me wrong there's tons of kids properties that adults are fans of that are completely understandable to me. Well thought out shows like Avatar, Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, and Steven Universe. Honestly kids shows today are better written than the shows I had growing up. The latest Ninja Turtles show blows Power Rangers out the water and that's because actual effort went into crafting the thing, rather than some poor editor trying to piece Japanese stock footage to barely fit whatever sembelnce of a story a writer cobbled together on his iPhone email app.

Shit, I could write an episode right now: I'll even underline every story element that can be changed for something even more bland every episode too

"Johnny (or Jessica, or whatever it doesn't matter) is nervous about the big tournament and hides it from his friends. Villain on the moon sends a minion to earth. The Rangers are called into action, Johnny sets aside his nerves and joins them. Rangers fight generic group of minions. Rangers fight main minion. Red Ranger notices Johnny is nervous, tells him not to be. Johnny is no longer nervous. Rangers defeat main minion. Main minion turns into a giant. Rangers get into their toys. Rangers fight giant minion in their toy. Rangers win, Johnny goes home and wins the tournament". 

Tell Saban to pay me.

You know what is interesting about that?  That is in essence what happened in both Samurai and Megaforce in recent years.  Samurai was a near direct copy of the Japanese sentai show Shinkenger, done without considering the international audience Power Rangers is made for, and Super Megaforce contained sentai powers described as "powers never seen before on Earth," and never seen before in Power Rangers either.  "The Wrath" is maybe the best episode that exemplifies this.  Why?  Because it is believed the creative people wanted to take the easiest route possible, using as much of the Gokaiger sentai footage as possible.

And contrasting the Ninja Turtles with Power Rangers is fair.  Consider that the 1990 TMNT movie was a huge box office success, and the 1995 Power Rangers movie was a flop, and those were at the beginning of their properties.  And after nostalgic fans saw the 2014 TMNT movie, helping its box office run, and being mostly disappointed by the movie's quality, they did not return for the sequel.  For Power Rangers, it makes selling their movie based on nostalgia more difficult.  Nostalgic marketing may work well for some properties, but not others.

A.V. Club says that Bryan Cranston had positive things to say about this movie.  He is also on the payroll for the movie, and there has been almost nothing said about Zordon at this point.

1 hour ago, Outrageous! said:

A.V. Club says that Bryan Cranston had positive things to say about this movie.  He is also on the payroll for the movie, and there has been almost nothing said about Zordon at this point.

I never listen to the people who are involved with the film, nor do I pay attention to celebrities who are given free screenings. I listen to what the Everyman says once its in theaters. Sometimes I make judgment calls before the movie comes out....which I've been doing for the last three months.

Edited by NoobSaibot

5 hours ago, AJG said:

Tell Saban to pay me.

So basically, because it "has no substance" and "[it] provides nothing of value."

The same subjective arguments that tons of people still use against comic books and comic book films.

Got it.

Edited by Moviesareawesomegirl
  • Like 2

In 13 days BoxOffice.com is going to come out with it's first estimate on Power Rangers opening weekend box office and it's domestic box office total

This will certainly be good news for fans who want an iteration of Power Rangers that will not just take the universe seriously, but help grow the heroes’ audience. Cranston’s description of Zordon will provide some insight for fans wondering about his approach to the character.

“He is a frustrated mentor of these kids. They’re not advancing as I’d hoped. Some of them are not taking this seriously, the responsibility that has been placed upon them or that they have been chosen for. And yet, you’re a mentor. It’s almost like being a coach. You want to break down the individuality of them so that they can grow as a team.”

http://screenrant.com/power-rangers-why-bryan-cranston-signed-on/

Edited by Gokira2012

On 1/13/2017 at 10:31 PM, AJG said:

This is simply untrue. Different creative teams over the course of the series have provided different levels of quality. Mighty Morphin, despite having the nostalgia advantage, is in fact one of the worst examples from the show's run, owing largely to the fact that nobody really had any idea of what they were doing. And yes, the fact that four of the past six seasons have been fucking dreadful makes it hard to stick with the series anymore, but Time Force and RPM are examples of the writers putting some heart into their work.

While you can of course have your opinion on whether the shows succeed or not, to say that they've never tried to do anything with the material and that it's been nothing but twenty-plus years of vapid spectacle is specious at best.

As for what I like about it: I'm a fan of the show's technical aspects. The attempt to make the stock footage seamless, the fight choreography, the pyrotechnics, even the slowly improving use of CGI. There's nothing else quite like it in kids' television.

Edited by johnboy3434
  • Like 3

Now that Hunger Games movies are over, Lionsgate doesn't have a franchise ( at least, not a huge one ) to take it for granted.

Besides, La La Land is breaking out and John Wick 2 is coming in less than 1 month. I'm sure they don't want to bleed money to promote Power Rangers during La La Land's run and now that John Wick 2 is coming.

You guys should wait at least until February, after John Wick's release. 

For all we know, Power Rangers may be a realy bad movie, but at least it hasn't been a troubled production like FF4. I'll give it a chance. Just relax. ;)

This looks surprisingly decent to me, I guess?

That screw ups line and that black joke made me cringe a bit though but I suppose I never expected great dialog to begin with from this.

I like how they show their face pretty much like the Iron Man suit.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1