Olive

Weekend Numbers (May 9-11) Neighbors 51.1 ASM2 37.2

Bud we all know that happens but I think the best discussion happens on topic even in our most viewed threads wouldn't you agree? It's a standard we all should try to improve and that's also my point about how if you guys represent the site as moderators, you should be held to a higher standard.ED

No.

He's saying as a mod he's derailing the thread on an off topic, personal post because he's watching MOS. Imagine if every time someone watched a Marvel or Nolan movie, they commented on what they thought in the #s thread.This forum would be an exponentially bigger clusterf*** than it is already. CJohn knows better & his job is to set an example and so is yours. It's what you guys sign up for.

You don't post that much anymore but they do it all the time. That's all Baumer is saying. 

• Like 1

So ASM2 cost more than Avengers to make and Avengers had to pay Downey 50 million to be in it.  Yet, ASM2 pays their two lead actors about 2 million combined and their budget is still out of control.  Where does the money go?

they didn't pay rdj 50M to be in avengers. that was a back end deal. they offer him a % so the more avengers made the more money he got. well at least that's what I remember

"Isn't that crazy? They're so pissed. I can't believe it. I'm what's known as 'a strategic cost.'"

• Like 1

I'd like to take a moment to point out that Captain America First Avenger grossed $370m ww. Captain America Winter Soldier is knocking on the door to $700m worldwide.  I don't care what anybody says, this was not expected. Even the wildest predictions had it at no more than $600m and that was a serious stretch. Kudos to Marvel.

I expected about 600m after THor 2's performance, so yes - it's done very well. It helped that it was actually a good movie, of course.

• Like 1

what is the reason Sony gave up the merchandising rights to Spider-Man? If they had them then they would be totally in the green

They wanted to receive 100% of the box office instead of giving a part do Marvel. Yes, it was a very stupid decision.

Every person in here, save for the one who complained about Cjohn and maybe Giantcalbears, has been in the clusterfuck which is known as the Friday numbers thread. We have gone way off the beaten path before.

Doesn't make it productive, but ok if you say it's fine.

I'd like to take a moment to point out that Captain America First Avenger grossed $370m ww. Captain America Winter Soldier is knocking on the door to $700m worldwide.  I don't care what anybody says, this was not expected. Even the wildest predictions had it at no more than $600m and that was a serious stretch. Kudos to Marvel.

I agree. Now let's talk about that May 06, 2016 release date again. lol

Hail Disney!

• Like 3

what is the reason Sony gave up the merchandising rights to Spider-Man? If they had them then they would be totally in the green

"During the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011, the Company completed a two-way transaction to simplify our relationship with Sony Pictures. In this transaction, the Company purchased Sony Pictures participation in Spider-Man merchandising, while at the same time, Sony Pictures purchased from the Company our participation in Spider-Man films. This transaction will allow the Company to control and fully benefit from all Spider-Man merchandising activity, while Sony Pictures will continue to produce and distribute Spider-Man films."

it was a exchange between full movie rights vs merchandising

• Like 1

You don't post that much anymore but they do it all the time. That's all Baumer is saying.

I'm here all the time just because I don't post daily, I love the mods here but agree derailment is a big issue as the site had grown like mojo. Anyways now I'm doing it and don't want to be a hypocrite but I think it's something we can all improve on right?

He's not derailing it.  There is no rule that says these threads have to stay on topic.

I'm saying that if you check out one weekend numbers thread, they are all derailed.  

I think one Shawn's requirements for Mod is that they remove off topic posts. 

• Like 1

I did the exact same thing yesterday with a few posts about WWZ, which I was re-watching, and nobody seemed to be upset. It was Saturday afternoon. While we wait for official estimates, there is really nothing to talk about. I don't do it just for Marvel or DC, just saying  :ph34r:

they didn't pay rdj 50M to be in avengers. that was a back end deal. they offer him a % so the more avengers made the more money he got. well at least that's what I remember

"Isn't that crazy? They're so pissed. I can't believe it. I'm what's known as 'a strategic cost.'"

I thought he was guaranteed a certain amount of the gross and that went into the budget cost?

I think one Shawn's requirements for Mod is that they remove off topic posts. 

Baumer was talking about Weekend Threads. There is usually a lot of liberty in those that we don't allow in the movies threads.

Edited by CJohn

"During the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011, the Company completed a two-way transaction to simplify our relationship with Sony Pictures. In this transaction, the Company purchased Sony Pictures participation in Spider-Man merchandising, while at the same time, Sony Pictures purchased from the Company our participation in Spider-Man films. This transaction will allow the Company to control and fully benefit from all Spider-Man merchandising activity, while Sony Pictures will continue to produce and distribute Spider-Man films."

it was a exchange between full movie rights vs merchandising

Do you have the link for that?  That's a great article.

So ASM2 cost more than Avengers to make and Avengers had to pay Downey 50 million to be in it.  Yet, ASM2 pays their two lead actors about 2 million combined and their budget is still out of control.  Where does the money go?

To be fair, a lot of Downey's income from the film came as a percentage of the box office...so it wasn't included in the actual budget of the film. Still though, I'm sure he got more upfront than the $4m combined for the ASM2 actors.

• Like 1