A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

People really need to give Iger time to clean up the mess left to him by the previous 2 CEOs. In particular the CEO before Chapek who allowed budgets to run crazy, who went on a buying spree of companies rather than fix existing Disney studios, who pushed the company heavily towards streaming with no plan for profitability and who pushed the company towards milking old IP rather than creating new successful ones. I am sure Iger has a better idea for the future of Disney than a live action Moana....... 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

People really need to give Iger time to clean up the mess left to him by the previous 2 CEOs. In particular the CEO before Chapek who allowed budgets to run crazy, who went on a buying spree of companies rather than fix existing Disney studios, who pushed the company heavily towards streaming with no plan for profitability and who pushed the company towards milking old IP rather than creating new successful ones. I am sure Iger has a better idea for the future of Disney than a live action Moana....... 

My eye is twitching. Sarcasm? Tough to tell b/c of Disney and Iger fans

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

I could've told them that before they even started this, but what are they gonna do now? Just start scrapping stuff that's already been planned out?

Nope they aren't going to do that, instead they will announce even more projects, just wait for The Marvels post credit scenes.

• Astonished 1

6 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It clearly worked though because it drove demand.

The elephant in the room here is piracy.

Look at page 45 of this report : availability of quality rips is what leads to a massive surge in piracy online and the Disney vault doesn't make those disappear. The Disney vault doesn't work in a digital world and Disney's not exactly in the place where they want to burn more goodwill by risking it.  

11 hours ago, dudalb said:

If he saying the Marvel might have flooded the market to an extent that the General Audeince, as opposed to the fanboy audience, simply got tired of it he has a point.  You need proper spacing to keep people from getting overhwelmed. I think there is little debate th the first two years, Disney Plus bunched the Marvel shows too closley together.

In a sense, I’m not sure how they could do it any differently, since I feel like it helped keeping the Marvel brand around during the pandemic. The big guns haven’t come out to play just yet other than Spider-Man, Guardians, Vol. 3 is a success and other than Captain America and the Winter Soldier, I would argue all the other shows fit the Disney+ model. CaTWS is great, but really should have been a full blown film and not a series. 

I hope this doesn’t mean we aren’t getting a She-Hulk second season, I really need that to happen.

Edit:

A person from other board I frequent made an excellent point and I wish Marvel Studios had the clarity to understand that the Disney+ shows are an asset, the problem is how some of them have been envisioned:

I think that Marvel shows have a place alongside the films, Marvel Studios just needs to return to a a release schedule that is more focused and easy to follow. Here's what I would do:

1. Two shows a year max. More episodes for each show in order to better flesh out the world and characters and keep subscriptions going on the business side.
2. New characters should first appear in films and then get their own show, like Wandavision and Loki. In my opinion films work much better as a showcase for new characters. Team-up films especially so.
3. The shows should provide a different experience than the films. Marvel should really avoid "save the world" stories for them. Keep the scale and stakes small and personal. The escalation should be: Shows (personal stories and stakes) - Solo films (bigger threats but still focused on the individual hero) - Big team-up events ( "save the world" scenarios). 
4. The overarching plot threads should be developing slowly but constantly, making each project matter. Don't set up plot points and teasers that no one knows when they will be resolved. Obviously covid fucked up the release schedule so I understand why Phase 4 lost its cohesiveness. 
5. For the love of god make a few crossover films. They don't have to be full Avengers films, bring 2-3 characters together and have them go on an adventure. I have said it many times, I'll say it again: Crossovers are the MCU's secret sauce. The MCU became a behemoth with The Avengers, the solo films were moderately successful at best before it.

Looking back on the Marvel Studios shows, never mind viewership since like Andor’s Tony Gillroy brilliantly said yesterday we don’t really know how big the audiences for these shows actually are really, I’d argue that the best shows are Loki, WandaVision, She-Hulk and Hawkeye. Loki and WandaVision definitely had events of world ending scenarios, but they were incredibly well done and are actually character studies that make us care more about the characters we already knew from the films.

With that said, I think She-Hulk is the perfect example of what Marvel Studios shows should aim for, even more so when introducing a brand new character: it makes excellent use of the tv show legal comedy format, crossing that with superheroes and with a character that truly benefits of the serial format. You can’t really do She-Hulk in film like you would do Deadpool, despite both breaking the fourth wall. You need She-Hulk for the mundane shit, and in an world where streaming platforms never give a chance to a tv show audience to grow like it used to happen with shows like Breaking Bad, I sincerely hope that a second season for She-Hulk is in the cards.

Edited by ZattMurdock

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

If he saying the Marvel might have flooded the market to an extent that the General Audeince, as opposed to the fanboy audience, simply got tired of it he has a point.  You need proper spacing to keep people from getting overhwelmed. I think there is little debate th the first two years, Disney Plus bunched the Marvel shows too closley together.

The general audience doesn't watch Disney+ MCU shows; these shows are watched by fanboys. These shows total viewership remains in the range of 5–12m in the US; if GA were watching these shows, they would've gotten much higher viewership.

With all the bullshit that Iger said and the SAG-AFTRA strike happening, this bit of news seems to have flown under the radar:

Disney might be in the business of selling ABC. I think this is a good thing, actually. Same for getting a partner like Google for ESPN.

• Astonished 1

13 hours ago, rebelscum86 said:

I remember a case study in biz management where Disney internally didn't let people say negative things or criticisms during meetings. They were only allowed to say a current good thing then propose a good thing to work towards or do. So if your burgers were dry hockey pucks you weren't supposed to acknowledge that, you would have to say our burgers have excellent toppings, and I think it would be great if the patties were juicy to match!

It's good for them to make changes, but they need to assure audiences they heard their critiques, they have taken to heart what was wrong, and that they don't want to mess up like that again or the audiences are just not coming back. There are so many SW fans that are lost unless Disney can say TLJ was a mistake and Luke story should have been better.

I can’t think of anything sillier than wanting an apology from a mega corporation over a popcorn movie. You saw a film you didn’t like 6 years ago. Probably time to move on. 

20 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

I can’t think of anything sillier than wanting an apology from a mega corporation over a popcorn movie. You saw a film you didn’t like 6 years ago. Probably time to move on. 

Fortunately other people don't operate according to your views. 1/2 the audience is gone and they don't trust future projects. They aren't going to trust future projects until Disney assures them they won't keep doing the things that lost them.

• Community Manager
28 minutes ago, rebelscum86 said:

Fortunately other people don't operate according to your views. 1/2 the audience is gone and they don't trust future projects. They aren't going to trust future projects until Disney assures them they won't keep doing the things that lost them.

TLJ Domestic: $620 million

Rise of Skywalker Domestic: $515 million

That's not 1/2. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

That's not 1/2. 

Shhh, you're making logical sense!!!

I do think a lot of this notion that people hate Disney is a load of crap. If people hated them so much, why are people going to the various 100th anniversary events or visiting the parks? 

17 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

That's not 1/2. 

The Force Awakens: $2,064,615,817  

The Last Jedi: $1,331,635,141     

The Rise Of Skywalker:  $1,072,767,997   

The Sequel Trilogy went from 2 Billion to 1 Billion. That's half of your audience lost.

Edited by Boxx93
  • Like 5

With age comes wisdom, and with wisdom comes the realization that one doesn't have to engage with patently disingenuous arguments.

So how 'bout them [Favorite Sports Ball Team HERE]?  Hell of a great/awful/mediocre year they're having, right?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

So how 'bout them [Favorite Sports Ball Team HERE]?  Hell of a great/awful/mediocre year they're having, right?

• Astros are doing decent.
  • Rockets are improving but still likely not a playoff team.
  • I’m curious how the NBA Mid-Season Tournament will go.
  • I’ve recently gotten into table tennis, which is nice.
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
51 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

The Force Awakens: $2,064,615,817  

The Last Jedi: $1,331,635,141     

The Rise Of Skywalker:  $1,072,767,997   

The Sequel Trilogy went from 2 Billion to 1 Billion. That's half of your audience lost.

So TFA is the one that lost the audience, not TLJ. 

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

14 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

So TFA is the one that lost the audience, not TLJ. 

Pretty much you can san say the The new Star war films were all big hits but no doubt the response to the last jedi and TROS likely reduced theier potential box office totals by 100s of millions of dollars.

TLJ opened massive but the film caused a massive civil war in the fanbase which did two things.

1. Reduced repeat viewings and casual viewings of the last jedi

2. Killed off a ton of buzz for TROS

Adding in that TROS was such a mess of a film reduced its boxoffice even more.