A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

1 hour ago, lilmac said:

I get it. He was bored, and he missed the limelight and the power. He was up for a challenge. If anyone can improve Disney's prospects, it's Iger. 

And he has got a Get Out of Jail  Free card in that everything that has been released so far was made under Chapek regime. Iger  can't be blamed for them. Now if things dont improve next year, Iger could be in trouble.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Elio and Inside Out get shifted to the summer and fall respectively, much less optimistic about the strikes ending anytime soon than I was two weeks ago. They might've gotten their VA work in but they still might need last minute edits, and if WDA can't have their movie ready by next year Disney doesn't lose anything with their usual summer/fall strategy.

Wish is likely staying put at this point though. The film's done and they seem to be starting the marketing campaign in earnest. I expect a new trailer around this convention. 

ANd I think animated films are not quite as dependent as live action films on being promoted by the  stars. "Wish" will not move.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't see why Elio or Inside Out would be affected by the strike at all.

Not wga so much, but sag strike means members can't do voice work for studio animated features. Allegedly Pixar got all theirs booked before the strike, but anything beyond the immediate future will be affected if it goes on a long time, and they won't be able to do last minute dialogue changes on their upcoming work (ie something like Wall-E getting shocked instead of eve. That probably didn't require extra sag voice work but you get the point), so it's possible story quality could take a hit.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

They may indeed be good to go, but they have far less room for error late in production than they might've if they could still have actors do late dialogue rewrites. Even if they are fine, I don't imagine WDA's 2024 release is at this point, so I think Disney would have every reason to push both Elio and IO2 back to give them a more balanced 2024 slate, and maybe also give them a little more time to wait out the strike if they have any story kinks.

Re my Wall-E example, that story change was in like the last six months before it released, close enough that the original scene had fully rendered sequences that were in the trailer.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Again I didn't see how that'd affect Elio or Inside Out, which have been in production for years now.

Things still change at the last second in animation. Until you’re rated, nothing is final. Frozen II overhauled it’s story within the spring-summer period of 2019, mere months before opening.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, YM! said:

Things still change at the last second in animation. Until you’re rated, nothing is final. Frozen II overhauled it’s story within the spring-summer period of 2019, mere months before opening.

Don't know what evidence you have that's happening to these films, which there doesn't seem to be.

Well we likely wouldn't know it until the Blu Ray commentary if they were.

Story flexibility is an integral part of the filmmaking process at WDA and Pixar though, and really of most films, and they're usually able to rely on actors being able to come back as needed for "pick ups". Seems far more unrealistic to me to assume that they were able to work out the story perfectly on both films by last July.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Don't know what evidence you have that's happening to these films, which there doesn't seem to be.

Watch the Frozen 2 documentary on the plus, and I’m not saying any of the three Disney animated movies will have those problems. For all we know it’s smooth sailing but they have the option if necessary if a story problem occurs or feel like the need to rework some dialogue and wouldn’t be surprising.

Just now, JWR said:

I doubt that. Apple probably won't want to get involved in the Cruise and Theme Park business. 

Ordinarily? Probably not. Fucking Disney World? Yes.

This does also line up with the rumors of Disney shedding its cable presence...which would make a purchase by Apple much easier.

https://www.thewrap.com/bob-iger-office-shower-bob-chapek-disney-cnbc-report/

When CEO Bob Iger briefly handed the keys to the Disney kingdom to his hand-picked successor Bob Chapek, he reportedly refused to vacate his office because he wanted to keep his personal shower and vanity.

Iger officially announced that he would be stepping down from the top role at Disney in February 2020, appointing Chapek, the company’s park chairman, to the position. 

Per a CNBC report by Alex Sherman, once Iger passed the torch, the Disney board suggested that Chapek should take over Iger’s office space at the company headquarters; however, according to unnamed sources, Iger was not particularly agreeable. 

Sherman asserted two reasons for Iger’s hesitancy to vacate his office. First, his succession plan permitted Iger to remain as Disney’s executive chairman for 22 months following his announcement that he would step down as CEO. Chapek would be reporting to him even though he was intended to be his successor. 

The second — and juicier — reason Iger wanted to retain sole access his office was for its amenities, including a personal shower and a vanity, both of which Iger frequently used, according to sources. Per the CNBC report, Iger would often take two showers a day, telling Chapek he lived for those days.

It reflects really bad on Iger. Was Chapek forced on him by board. I would blame the board on the way transition was done and Iger takes a big part of it as he had been CEO for so long and he should have planned his succession better. Look at how Starbucks/Schultz handled succession. Iger gets a F for sure.

• Like 3